I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Moderator: Football Moderators

I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby biju » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:32 pm

For health reasons, I've been vegetarian for over 12 years--the health reason being I couldn't stop eating crappy foods like Whoppers and such. Since then my cholesterol has dropped and I've lost weight, shifting it into muscle with my new-found energy.

But recently I've been wondering what a nice steak would taste like and if I really missed it.

Well yesterday was my girlfriend's birthday and since she eats meat and my diet generally dictates where we go out for dinner I decided to take her out to one of the "nicer" steakhouses in Seattle--Daniel's Broiler. I told her we could go anywhere she wanted: The Met, El Gaucho, where ever. She felt Daniel's had the best steak so we went there.

Anyway, my curiosity got the better of me and I surprised her when I ordered their Filet Mignon (medium, for those wondering). I got nervous about it at first and really hesitated when it arrived.

The first bite was really good. The second, even better. I started to wonder if I was going to start eating meat again. Then, after eating about 1/2 of it (mind you, this was only a 9 oz. piece of meat) I kind of stopped liking it. It tasted ok and all, but I was just done eating it. I started in on my baked potato instead and finished it.

So the question is, was my mind/body craving the meat for some essential mineral and, having received it, the desire subsided? In full disclosure I have forced myself to think of meat as "bad for me" even though I really don't think that way; I just think the type of meat I tend to eat is bad. I'm beginning to wondering if that is what made me "turn on the steak" half way through it.

Anyway, I thought it was a very interesting experiment and I'm open to the idea of eating meat again if it's "high end" meat, but I've felt sick for the past 18 or so hours and I'm thinking I might be a "one and done", having satiated my thirst for blood.

:-D

Thoughts?

I'm guessing I'll get a ton of people telling me I can eat meat without eating bad, and I'm going to preempt this by saying that I truly cannot. I either drink or I don't drink; I smoke or don't smoke; I exercise a ton or don't do it at all; I gamble in Vegas or spend the weekend by the pool. It's a character flaw for sure, but trust me that I cannot control myself. I've already started daydreaming about bacon chicken sandwiches again...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby RiffRaff » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Bacon is good. :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:42 pm

RiffRaff wrote:Bacon is good. :-D

:-b :-b :-b

Salmon and chicken are my next two stops after a good steak. ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:57 pm

Bacon and Ribeyes are the two main reasons I won't go vegetarian. I don't eat much of either, but when I do... heaven.

Beej, if you have a hard time doing moderation, then just cut the meat out. Or maybe once every 12 years. :-b Your body will tell you if you're not giving it the nutrition it needs, and if you're feeling great without meat then by all means, keep it up! Too many of us lack the willpower you're showing. Hats off to you for making a commitment and following through.

I've gone vegetarian, by the way. The longest I've ever gone was a month. It was fine, and I didn't feel "deprived" or whatever, but overall being an omnivore works for me. If vegetarian works for you, more power to you.

Good story, BTW. Thanks for sharing. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:04 pm

I tried the veggie route but I love meat too much. I don't eat much red meat at all, maybe once or twice a month. I eat mostly chicken, turkey, and fish/seafood...and ham on occasion. I consider my diet to be a pretty healthy one.

I know a lot of veggies who just don't like meat of any kind, don't like the texture and don't like the taste. Then there are others that are always talking about how they kinda miss meat and crave it sometimes. I think you are the latter. Do you think you could just allow yourself one type of meat and leave the others alone? Like chicken or seafood? For one it might help with your cravings and two it would open up your meal options immensely. Also you could just allow yourself to eat meat at home, that would guaranty you still eat healthy.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Great biju. Very interesting. Reading through it, and you won't like this, but I think you need to work on that self control of yours. Start with very small, almost insignificant things, and continue to work on it. I understand that not all flaws are fixable or even really need to be fixed, but if possible, one such as this, could be worked on. Especially since it's a devastating issue that millions of people have.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:23 pm

I agree with the content and brevity of this post.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:30 pm

scottaa1 wrote:

I agree with the content and brevity of this post.

Totally, I think bacon is the #1 reason I can never go veggie.

:-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Yum!

Seriously, if you've got some sort of thing where you can't limit yourself, you should just stop eating meat right now. You admitted something like that, so it seems you KNOW the thing to do is to not eat it anymore.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Welcome back to manhood Bij. ;-) :-b

Try some bacon. It's wonderful.

I've been trying to get in shape/lose weight lately, and have done very well while still eating meat. But more power to ya if that's what you gotta do. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk