I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:23 am

biju wrote:I've already started daydreaming about bacon chicken sandwiches again...

Congratulations ;-D


Seriously, I agree with what most have already said. I've never gone the veggie route...and don't plan on it, because I love meat too much. Like Met, I do each more chicken and such, but I do love a good steak. I think it matters more on what you actually eat and how it is prepared - I don't have to tell you or anyone else that fast food meat is not as good as a higher end restaurant or from the local butcher. Portion size is also key.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15305
(Past Year: 59)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby spodog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:30 pm

biju wrote: I either drink or I don't drink; I smoke or don't smoke; I exercise a ton or don't do it at all; I gamble in Vegas or spend the weekend by the pool. It's a character flaw for sure, but trust me that I cannot control myself. I've already started daydreaming about bacon chicken sandwiches again...


Biju If you'd like to get meat back into your diet, but are struggling to overcome the fast food drive thru temptation, you simply need to watch this video once, and you'll be able to avoid fast food forever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1iyN7Y-jJQ
Image
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4058
Joined: 21 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At my trailer on the beach in Malibu

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:20 pm

biju wrote:So the question is, was my mind/body craving the meat for some essential mineral


I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I generally believe when my mind/body craves a particular food (not want it, crave it), then there's a reason and purpose behind it that I'm not consciously aware of. And generally I indulge that craving if possible (luckily it's pretty rare I have a high metabolism, so regardless of what I eat I don't gain any weight). But you said you've been a vegetarian for over 12 years, so that really doesn't sound like the case here as I'd have thought you'd have major cravings much, much sooner. :-?

Giving up meat is something I don't think I could ever do. I love steak and seafood too much. O:-)
Image

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

User avatar
ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5979
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Madison wrote:I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I generally believe when my mind/body craves a particular food (not want it, crave it), then there's a reason and purpose behind it that I'm not consciously aware of.

Subliminal advertising? :-b
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby biju » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:10 am

spodog wrote:
biju wrote: I either drink or I don't drink; I smoke or don't smoke; I exercise a ton or don't do it at all; I gamble in Vegas or spend the weekend by the pool. It's a character flaw for sure, but trust me that I cannot control myself. I've already started daydreaming about bacon chicken sandwiches again...


Biju If you'd like to get meat back into your diet, but are struggling to overcome the fast food drive thru temptation, you simply need to watch this video once, and you'll be able to avoid fast food forever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1iyN7Y-jJQ


I'm well aware of how disgusting fast food is, and while I'm not too terribly tempted to tear into an Arby's roast beef sandwich just yet, I do pause from trying to eat more meat just yet. I'm working on 48 hours now and there hasn't been a lick of interest in jumping back into it again. I'm thinking that whatever it was that causing that desire is gone.

It could very well be that I'm only interested in good meat and that I may be tempted again the next time I'm around some. When I was in the Galapagos last year I was very tempted to try some *extremely* fresh tuna at arguably the best restaurant out on the islands. (By the way, it was cooked on the table on a highly heated slab of granite; awesome presentation).

Tonight we went out and had some of the best Indian food in Seattle and the thought of ordering something meaty didn't even cross my mind. To be fair though, we do always order the same thing so reflexes might have been a factor.

At any rate, I'm heading into day 3 without so much of a care or inkling that I even ate any meat on Tuesday. I was thinking before this could be an interesting story of heading back to the dark side, but I think it's going to fizzle out quickly. Score one for the veggies, I guess.

:-o
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:05 am

Madison wrote:
biju wrote:So the question is, was my mind/body craving the meat for some essential mineral


I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I generally believe when my mind/body craves a particular food (not want it, crave it), then there's a reason and purpose behind it that I'm not consciously aware of. And generally I indulge that craving if possible (luckily it's pretty rare I have a high metabolism, so regardless of what I eat I don't gain any weight). But you said you've been a vegetarian for over 12 years, so that really doesn't sound like the case here as I'd have thought you'd have major cravings much, much sooner. :-?

Giving up meat is something I don't think I could ever do. I love steak and seafood too much. O:-)

Thankfully your body doesn't crave things like a bottle of vodka or cocaine.
Image
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 874
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Jumping The Snap

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:
biju wrote:So the question is, was my mind/body craving the meat for some essential mineral


I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I generally believe when my mind/body craves a particular food (not want it, crave it), then there's a reason and purpose behind it that I'm not consciously aware of. And generally I indulge that craving if possible (luckily it's pretty rare I have a high metabolism, so regardless of what I eat I don't gain any weight). But you said you've been a vegetarian for over 12 years, so that really doesn't sound like the case here as I'd have thought you'd have major cravings much, much sooner. :-?

Giving up meat is something I don't think I could ever do. I love steak and seafood too much. O:-)

Thankfully your body doesn't crave things like a bottle of vodka or cocaine.

Not alone...but with hookers. ;-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:38 pm

biju wrote:At any rate, I'm heading into day 3 without so much of a care or inkling that I even ate any meat on Tuesday. I was thinking before this could be an interesting story of heading back to the dark side, but I think it's going to fizzle out quickly. Score one for the veggies, I guess.


I had a BLT last night and popcorn chicken for lunch today, so I'm picking up your slack.
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:10 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
biju wrote:At any rate, I'm heading into day 3 without so much of a care or inkling that I even ate any meat on Tuesday. I was thinking before this could be an interesting story of heading back to the dark side, but I think it's going to fizzle out quickly. Score one for the veggies, I guess.


I had a BLT last night and popcorn chicken for lunch today, so I'm picking up your slack.

Dude I want your lunch and dinner right now...I think I'm gonna go to Burgerville for lunch. ;-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Metroid wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Thankfully your body doesn't crave things like a bottle of vodka or cocaine.

Not alone...but with hookers. ;-D


:-b :-b :-b
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 160)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 17:12 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact