I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I ate meat last night for the first time in 12 years

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:23 am

biju wrote:I've already started daydreaming about bacon chicken sandwiches again...

Congratulations ;-D

Seriously, I agree with what most have already said. I've never gone the veggie route...and don't plan on it, because I love meat too much. Like Met, I do each more chicken and such, but I do love a good steak. I think it matters more on what you actually eat and how it is prepared - I don't have to tell you or anyone else that fast food meat is not as good as a higher end restaurant or from the local butcher. Portion size is also key.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby spodog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:30 pm

biju wrote: I either drink or I don't drink; I smoke or don't smoke; I exercise a ton or don't do it at all; I gamble in Vegas or spend the weekend by the pool. It's a character flaw for sure, but trust me that I cannot control myself. I've already started daydreaming about bacon chicken sandwiches again...

Biju If you'd like to get meat back into your diet, but are struggling to overcome the fast food drive thru temptation, you simply need to watch this video once, and you'll be able to avoid fast food forever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1iyN7Y-jJQ
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:20 pm

biju wrote:So the question is, was my mind/body craving the meat for some essential mineral

I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I generally believe when my mind/body craves a particular food (not want it, crave it), then there's a reason and purpose behind it that I'm not consciously aware of. And generally I indulge that craving if possible (luckily it's pretty rare I have a high metabolism, so regardless of what I eat I don't gain any weight). But you said you've been a vegetarian for over 12 years, so that really doesn't sound like the case here as I'd have thought you'd have major cravings much, much sooner. :-?

Giving up meat is something I don't think I could ever do. I love steak and seafood too much. O:-)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Madison wrote:I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I generally believe when my mind/body craves a particular food (not want it, crave it), then there's a reason and purpose behind it that I'm not consciously aware of.

Subliminal advertising? :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:10 am

spodog wrote:
biju wrote: I either drink or I don't drink; I smoke or don't smoke; I exercise a ton or don't do it at all; I gamble in Vegas or spend the weekend by the pool. It's a character flaw for sure, but trust me that I cannot control myself. I've already started daydreaming about bacon chicken sandwiches again...

Biju If you'd like to get meat back into your diet, but are struggling to overcome the fast food drive thru temptation, you simply need to watch this video once, and you'll be able to avoid fast food forever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1iyN7Y-jJQ

I'm well aware of how disgusting fast food is, and while I'm not too terribly tempted to tear into an Arby's roast beef sandwich just yet, I do pause from trying to eat more meat just yet. I'm working on 48 hours now and there hasn't been a lick of interest in jumping back into it again. I'm thinking that whatever it was that causing that desire is gone.

It could very well be that I'm only interested in good meat and that I may be tempted again the next time I'm around some. When I was in the Galapagos last year I was very tempted to try some *extremely* fresh tuna at arguably the best restaurant out on the islands. (By the way, it was cooked on the table on a highly heated slab of granite; awesome presentation).

Tonight we went out and had some of the best Indian food in Seattle and the thought of ordering something meaty didn't even cross my mind. To be fair though, we do always order the same thing so reflexes might have been a factor.

At any rate, I'm heading into day 3 without so much of a care or inkling that I even ate any meat on Tuesday. I was thinking before this could be an interesting story of heading back to the dark side, but I think it's going to fizzle out quickly. Score one for the veggies, I guess.

:-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:05 am

Madison wrote:
biju wrote:So the question is, was my mind/body craving the meat for some essential mineral

I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I generally believe when my mind/body craves a particular food (not want it, crave it), then there's a reason and purpose behind it that I'm not consciously aware of. And generally I indulge that craving if possible (luckily it's pretty rare I have a high metabolism, so regardless of what I eat I don't gain any weight). But you said you've been a vegetarian for over 12 years, so that really doesn't sound like the case here as I'd have thought you'd have major cravings much, much sooner. :-?

Giving up meat is something I don't think I could ever do. I love steak and seafood too much. O:-)

Thankfully your body doesn't crave things like a bottle of vodka or cocaine.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:

Thankfully your body doesn't crave things like a bottle of vodka or cocaine.

Not alone...but with hookers. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:38 pm

biju wrote:At any rate, I'm heading into day 3 without so much of a care or inkling that I even ate any meat on Tuesday. I was thinking before this could be an interesting story of heading back to the dark side, but I think it's going to fizzle out quickly. Score one for the veggies, I guess.

I had a BLT last night and popcorn chicken for lunch today, so I'm picking up your slack.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:10 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
biju wrote:At any rate, I'm heading into day 3 without so much of a care or inkling that I even ate any meat on Tuesday. I was thinking before this could be an interesting story of heading back to the dark side, but I think it's going to fizzle out quickly. Score one for the veggies, I guess.

I had a BLT last night and popcorn chicken for lunch today, so I'm picking up your slack.

Dude I want your lunch and dinner right now...I think I'm gonna go to Burgerville for lunch. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Metroid wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Thankfully your body doesn't crave things like a bottle of vodka or cocaine.

Not alone...but with hookers. ;-D

:-b :-b :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk