Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:49 pm

Metroid wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:If you really think McNabb is to blame for the loss and not the Eagles defense you must have been watching a different game than the rest of the country was or are just trying to be argumentative.


That's a pretty strong statement seeing as there are at least a couple other people that agree with me here. And if you were watching the same game as me, you would have seen the throws that were well behind open receivers and the overthrows to receivers open for big plays downfield. Arizona's defense isn't that good, yet McBabb struggled. Also, how about easing up and accusing me of being argumentative? I just stated my opinion.

Thicken your skin man, saying you may be being argumentative was not meant as an insult. :-b

In the game I watched McNabb struggled in the first half and made some bad throws the entire game however I also saw a pathetic attempt at defense by the Eagles. Like I said McNabb could have played better but the fact remains that Philly's D did not show up, they looked horrible. You're completely ignoring what he did in the 2nd half to put his team in a position to win. He obviously needed help from his defense and didn't get it.


I'm not ignoring what he did in the 2nd half. He did a lot better than he played in the first half, but that doesn't mean that he did well in the 2nd half. Like I said, Arizona's defense isn't very good, and he should never have had them in the position to have to comeback in the first place. Keep in mind, if the refs hadn't completely blown the call on that kickoff, the game likely would have been out of reach before the 2nd half. Football is a 2 half game. 1 good half and 1 bad half does not equal a good game.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby Metroid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:09 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
That's a pretty strong statement seeing as there are at least a couple other people that agree with me here. And if you were watching the same game as me, you would have seen the throws that were well behind open receivers and the overthrows to receivers open for big plays downfield. Arizona's defense isn't that good, yet McBabb struggled. Also, how about easing up and accusing me of being argumentative? I just stated my opinion.

Thicken your skin man, saying you may be being argumentative was not meant as an insult. :-b

In the game I watched McNabb struggled in the first half and made some bad throws the entire game however I also saw a pathetic attempt at defense by the Eagles. Like I said McNabb could have played better but the fact remains that Philly's D did not show up, they looked horrible. You're completely ignoring what he did in the 2nd half to put his team in a position to win. He obviously needed help from his defense and didn't get it.


I'm not ignoring what he did in the 2nd half. He did a lot better than he played in the first half, but that doesn't mean that he did well in the 2nd half. Like I said, Arizona's defense isn't very good, and he should never have had them in the position to have to comeback in the first place. Keep in mind, if the refs hadn't completely blown the call on that kickoff, the game likely would have been out of reach before the 2nd half. Football is a 2 half game. 1 good half and 1 bad half does not equal a good game.

Save the remedial football lessons for someone else, it comes off as a little condescending.

But to use your lesson: 1 good half and 1 bad half doesn't equal a bad game either.

Lets look at how well the defense played, first half: poorly, second half: poorly. Thats the whole game...they didn't play well the whole game. Again McNabb and the offense played well enough, not great...not even good, but well enough to win. He orchestrated a second half comeback rallying his team back from 18 points down to take the lead and what happened? The defense couldn't keep the Cards out of the end zone. I've agreed with numerous, numerous times that McNabb didn't have the best game and could have played better but Philly's D couldn't have played any worse.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby Munboy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:29 pm

Metroid wrote:
Munboy wrote:
Metroid wrote:If you really think McNabb is to blame for the loss and not the Eagles defense you must have been watching a different game than the rest of the country was or are just trying to be argumentative.


Yes the D is to blame for putting McNabb and the O in the position of having to make a comeback, but it's safe to say that McNabb's eratic passing killed that last drive when they were trying to go down to tie the game at the end of the 4th quarter. He had a horrible 1st half, a good 3rd quarter and most of the 4th, but down the stretch, it was his high or behind the WR passing that cost them the game.

But see you can't say any one series is where the game was lost. Should we blame the loss on the no PI call on Curtis on Philly's final drive? No. McNabb made some bad plays and some great plays, he threw for 375 yards and 3 TD's which is normally enough to ask of your QB. What cost the Eagles the game was the play of their defense the entire game. Warner was upright pretty much the entire game, I think only sacked twice. He and Fitz picked the Eagles apart. Put the blame where it lies.


I am. Like I said, it's on the D and McNabb. And I dont think it's any one game or drive that will drive him out of Philly. Its Philly fans that will drive him out. All reports say he's tired of them and being in Philly where he's booed if he has a bad game because they forget he has taken them to 5 NFC championships and a superbowl.
Image
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1934
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby Metroid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Munboy wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Munboy wrote:
Yes the D is to blame for putting McNabb and the O in the position of having to make a comeback, but it's safe to say that McNabb's eratic passing killed that last drive when they were trying to go down to tie the game at the end of the 4th quarter. He had a horrible 1st half, a good 3rd quarter and most of the 4th, but down the stretch, it was his high or behind the WR passing that cost them the game.

But see you can't say any one series is where the game was lost. Should we blame the loss on the no PI call on Curtis on Philly's final drive? No. McNabb made some bad plays and some great plays, he threw for 375 yards and 3 TD's which is normally enough to ask of your QB. What cost the Eagles the game was the play of their defense the entire game. Warner was upright pretty much the entire game, I think only sacked twice. He and Fitz picked the Eagles apart. Put the blame where it lies.


I am. Like I said, it's on the D and McNabb. And I dont think it's any one game or drive that will drive him out of Philly. Its Philly fans that will drive him out. All reports say he's tired of them and being in Philly where he's booed if he has a bad game because they forget he has taken them to 5 NFC championships and a superbowl.

I misread or misunderstood you saying they lost the game on that one play, my bad. ;-D

I still say McNabb played well enough to win. :-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby Munboy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Metroid wrote:
Munboy wrote:
Metroid wrote:But see you can't say any one series is where the game was lost. Should we blame the loss on the no PI call on Curtis on Philly's final drive? No. McNabb made some bad plays and some great plays, he threw for 375 yards and 3 TD's which is normally enough to ask of your QB. What cost the Eagles the game was the play of their defense the entire game. Warner was upright pretty much the entire game, I think only sacked twice. He and Fitz picked the Eagles apart. Put the blame where it lies.


I am. Like I said, it's on the D and McNabb. And I dont think it's any one game or drive that will drive him out of Philly. Its Philly fans that will drive him out. All reports say he's tired of them and being in Philly where he's booed if he has a bad game because they forget he has taken them to 5 NFC championships and a superbowl.

I misread or misunderstood you saying they lost the game on that one play, my bad. ;-D

I still say McNabb played well enough to win. :-D


He did......ok. He didn't lose the game, he just didn't play well enough to win it...lets put it that way. The D was a disappointment for the #3 ranked D. But honestly, as explosive as that Card's passing game is, it really wasn't unexpected.
Image
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1934
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby Metroid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Munboy wrote:He did......ok. He didn't lose the game, he just didn't play well enough to win it...lets put it that way.

Fair enough. ;-)
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:56 pm

iky wrote:Im crying the tears of joy, this is awesome. Ive never been this happy in my life. Thank you everybody who doubted us!!! Pittsburg, here come the Birds!!!!!


Big time congrats to THE CARDS and their fans!!!!!









Love Warner, and I'll be pulling for you to stomp the Squeelers on February 1st!! ;-) ;-D
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Metroid wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:Thicken your skin man, saying you may be being argumentative was not meant as an insult. :-b

In the game I watched McNabb struggled in the first half and made some bad throws the entire game however I also saw a pathetic attempt at defense by the Eagles. Like I said McNabb could have played better but the fact remains that Philly's D did not show up, they looked horrible. You're completely ignoring what he did in the 2nd half to put his team in a position to win. He obviously needed help from his defense and didn't get it.


I'm not ignoring what he did in the 2nd half. He did a lot better than he played in the first half, but that doesn't mean that he did well in the 2nd half. Like I said, Arizona's defense isn't very good, and he should never have had them in the position to have to comeback in the first place. Keep in mind, if the refs hadn't completely blown the call on that kickoff, the game likely would have been out of reach before the 2nd half. Football is a 2 half game. 1 good half and 1 bad half does not equal a good game.

Save the remedial football lessons for someone else, it comes off as a little condescending.

But to use your lesson: 1 good half and 1 bad half doesn't equal a bad game either.

Lets look at how well the defense played, first half: poorly, second half: poorly. Thats the whole game...they didn't play well the whole game. Again McNabb and the offense played well enough, not great...not even good, but well enough to win. He orchestrated a second half comeback rallying his team back from 18 points down to take the lead and what happened? The defense couldn't keep the Cards out of the end zone. I've agreed with numerous, numerous times that McNabb didn't have the best game and could have played better but Philly's D couldn't have played any worse.


The defense did fine in the second half. They gave up 8 points for the entire half against a very good offense. Just like McNabb, they had 1 bad half and 1 good half, it just happened to be the opposite half for each. The Cardinals are averaging 29.2 points per game at home this year. They scored 32 on the Eagles defense. So actually, the Eagles defense was basically average given who they were playing against and where. And you are talking about how McNabb led an 18 point comeback, but just like he led scoring drives, the defense stopped the Cardinals during that entire span. Then, just like the Eagles defense faltered for one drive when the Eagles scored, the Eagles offense faltered for a drive at the end when they had the turnover on downs.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby Metroid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Did fine in the 2nd half? They gave up the go ahead TD after McNabb and the offense finally got them ahead! Whatever man I don't even know why I'm debating this, it doesn't matter. I know the Eagles D played like crap, most people I've talked to here and everyone that I was watching the game with would agree to that. I've also said McNabb didn't play great, but well enough. He did his part, the defense did not. For a top 5 defense I expected a lot more than "average." And calling them average yesterday is a real stretch, especially when the Eagles are use to giving up less than 20 a game.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Week 20 GC: Philadelphia @ Arizona

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:38 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:The Cardinals are averaging 29.2 points per game at home this year. They scored 32 on the Eagles defense. So actually, the Eagles defense was basically average given who they were playing against and where.


Met basically already said this, but I typed this post up so dammit, I'm posting it. :-B

If Philadelphia were ranked 16th in the NFL in total defense, their performance yesterday would be acceptable because it would be an average performance from an average defense. But the Eagles were ranked 3rd in the NFL in total defense. Elite defenses are supposed to make offenses perform below their averages, not at or above them. McNabb's errant throws definitely had something to do with Philly's loss yesterday, but his ultimate statistics look to be around what's expected of him, if not more so. The defense should shoulder much more of the blame for not playing at the level expected of them.

Time of possession didn't have anything to do with it either. Philly (by my rough and likely inaccurate calcluations) actually led the first half and the game in time of possession by a few seconds; their secondary just got toasted.
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 6:56 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact