Arizona Shopping Anquan Boldin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Arizona Shopping Anquan Boldin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Arizona Shopping Anquan Boldin

Postby D3C4K » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:31 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Sal Pal reported on ESPN that ARI has lowered their asking price to a 2nd and a player for Boldin.

They must want Kiwanuka too.

:-b
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Only in Dallas is Boldin worth a hell of a lot more than a 2nd. And of course they want Kiwi. But really I'd expect Boldin to the Eagles if anywhere not to the Giants. (I'd be happy to be wrong though.)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:54 pm

Amazinz wrote:Only in Dallas is Boldin worth a hell of a lot more than a 2nd. And of course they want Kiwi. But really I'd expect Boldin to the Eagles if anywhere not to the Giants. (I'd be happy to be wrong though.)

I understand that NY won the Super Bowl on the strength of their D-line, but how is Kiwi so damn valuable that they won't give him up for a blue chip WR? Surely Burress was just as important if not more important to their championship than one piece of the d-line. Kiwi played pretty damn good last season, but they have Osi coming back, Tuck is a budding superstar, Robbins is a presence in the middle... I'm an outsider, but I view Kiwi as the 4th best player on that line and the 3rd best player at his own position. Maybe give him some extra value because he can swing out and make a passable outside linebacker in a 4-3 (barely), but when you look at that WR they have a significant hole to fill. No one on that roster could even be considered a solid #2 at this point, the TE is still somewhat of a question mark, and Eli has shown that he can't carry the team all by himself. Jacobs can't catch passes so they need special packages for Bradshaw and maybe Ware, that limits their flexibility and makes it a whole lot easier on the defense to show a lot of different looks.

The defense can do fine without Kiwi, but the offense is going to struggle without adding a sure-thing at WR IMO. Now that Arizona is down from asking for a 1st+, maybe they can deal Kiwi and 3rd or 4th round value (swap a 2nd for their 4th for instance) to land Boldin. Edwards would have obviously been the #1 target considering his age and potential, but Boldin could thrive just as well as Plaxico did in that offense so long as he holds up. With a WR#1, that offense is very good, without a WR#1 that offense is pretty bad.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:45 pm

Looks like ARI is denying that they have lowered their asking price. But they're saying they never specified an asking price, which has to be bull at this point, so who knows.

As for the Giants, I think they'll be fine without a 'blue chip' WR. It's hard to convince anyone of this who didn't watch the Giants consistently but the lack of DL depth hurt the Giants down the stretch a lot more than the loss of Plax did. In the Eagles game, the Giants had open receivers all game long. If Eli or the DL plays better they have a chance to win and we're not having this conversation.

The Giants just added DTs Canty and Benard. They didn't do that so they could turn around and trade Kiwi. They did it so they could run the defense that got them to and won a SB. Like I said in the other thread, it's not that I think Kiwi is too valuable to trade for someone like Boldin or Edwards but that he is vastly more valuable to the Giants than either of those players would be.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Instinctive » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Why does nobody have Dallas in any of these trade talks??? I know that there hasn't been any news interest, but if the price is lowered to a second I would go ahead and scratch this drfat to send Crayton and a 2nd to ARZ if they'd go for it. Hell, I'd tos sin a 4th too. Dallas is gonna look pretty weak on the passing sid eof th eball this season if Austin doesn;t turn out great, and getting a guy like Boldin across from Roy E Williams would be nice for romo, especially since it would allow Witten;s routes to vary more because of Boldin's over the middle ability. Any thoughts?
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:35 pm

Due to cap space and the looming Ware contract, I think Boldin's contract would be prohibitive for the Cowboys. And along those lines, one of the Giants beat reporters just updated his blog and according to his source in the Giants org.: it is not the asking price of the Browns or Cardinals that have taken the Giants out of the trade negotiations but rather the asking price of Edwards and Boldin.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Receiving Rec Yds Y/G TD
L. Fitzgerald 96-1431-89.4-12
A. Boldin 89-1038-86.5-11

Had Boldin not gotten hurt last year he ends up putting up more points than Fitz. The Cards should work things out to keep him. Their team goes downhill real fast without him.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:40 pm

Amazinz wrote:
As for the Giants, I think they'll be fine without a 'blue chip' WR. It's hard to convince anyone of this who didn't watch the Giants consistently but the lack of DL depth hurt the Giants down the stretch a lot more than the loss of Plax did. In the Eagles game, the Giants had open receivers all game long. If Eli or the DL plays better they have a chance to win and we're not having this conversation.

I don't think you can lay the blame entirely on Eli for the way the offense played down the stretch. I mean, New York is 10-1 team with Plaxico Burress in the lineup and they are 3-4 without him. There has to be a correlation there. New York played progressively worse each week without Burress in the lineup and finished the season on a 1-4 run and in that one win they ran for 300 yards to pull out a late victory. Nobody stepped up in Burress' absence at the WR position and the opposing defenses no longer had to double anyone. You get rid of a dynamic player like Plaxico Burress and the team is entirely different and gameplanning gets a whole lot easier for the other team.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby mattb47 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:47 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Receiving Rec Yds Y/G TD
L. Fitzgerald 96-1431-89.4-12
A. Boldin 89-1038-86.5-11

Had Boldin not gotten hurt last year he ends up putting up more points than Fitz. The Cards should work things out to keep him. Their team goes downhill real fast without him.

Indeed....I think people too quickly forget just how great Boldin is as a WR in light of Fitzgerald being there as well. I would easily rank both of them in the top 5 WRs in the game right now personally...Arizona would be foolish to trade Boldin for a 2nd round pick and 75% of the teams in the NFL would be foolish not to try to trade for him at that price.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby iky » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:24 pm

D3C4K wrote:
iky wrote:In my very humble opinion Mr. Whisenhunt has excellent strategy in coming out with idea of shopping Boldin. At the end of the day when no teams will be willing to pay fair price and back out of any trade talks Cardinals organization puts itself in very favorable spot. When Anquan sees there is no real good reason for him to leave, he will shut his big mouth and start understanding that currently there is no better situation for him then he has in Arizona.
Could someone explain me, why would you want to leave a SuperBowl team with All-pro reciever and QB?

There are probably underlying reasons for Boldin feeling the way that he does, and it's doubtful anyone here would be able to identify them. I'm also not all that convinced that Arizona is the only situation he could thrive in, or even the best situation for him. If he were traded to a team with a great defense and strong runnning game with a decent qb (Ravens, Titans, any NFC East team, etc.) he could be every bit as good if not better than he is/was in Arizona, and probably win it all. The Cards, while a good team, played above their heads last year, and they're probably better off dealing him for upgrades in the run game or defensively anyway. Having two big time receivers is a luxury, one which the Cardinals can no longer afford now that it's time to pay Boldin his due. You have a pro-bowl qb, the best receiver in the NFL, and a quality #3 wr, but your run game stinks, and your defense has a tendency to get destroyed on occasion between strong performances. Arizona should do itself and Boldin a favor and make a deal.

but not for a freakin' second round pick, Boldin is worth a hell of a lot more than that...

You are correct in all point you making, Anquan Boldin will make any team much better, u have to have QB who can just get it to him and the guy will drag half of defense with him to the End zone. And yes, Arizona does have horrific run. Well, what great running team did make it to the Super Bowl? Cardinals thrive on their recievers and the air attack. I will say this one thing, for the lack of exposure, not a lot of people know how great Q is. In my opinion he's BETTER then Larry Fitzgerald. It's just that he's got TO's attitude "screw u - pay me" So you say deal one of the Top 5 WR in the league just to make him happy? No, my friend, the team needs to improve itself, not follow Kansas City trend and dump their pro bowl players for second round pick. I just do not see Q getting traded. Even though with draft in coupla hours I feel this will change.

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk