Cowboys - A team in turmoil - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cowboys - A team in turmoil

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cowboys - A team in turmoil

Postby joejlitz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:50 pm

Herd this on ESPN radio with Colin Cowherd, too. Apparently, TO wasn't the only Cowboy outta control. Romo had issues, too.

Sources: Dallas Cowboys often tardy, undisciplined in '08
11:11 AM CST on Tuesday, January 20, 2009
By CALVIN WATKINS
The Dallas Morning News
cwatkins@dallasnews.com

...Multiple sources close to the team paint a picture of turmoil inside the locker room far greater than originally thought, and the organization is determined to solve the problems. Sources say there were many issues this season that call into question team discipline, commitment and accountability...

...The team charter left late for road games five times this season because players were late to the airport according to three sources. The total represented more than half of the eight regular season away games. Sources declined to name the late players. The Philadelphia trip was delayed by more than an hour...

...According to five sources, several offensive players lost respect for Garrett for his failure to corral quarterback Tony Romo in practice. Romo, sources said, often forced throws in practice and often did not treat practice work consistently...
Rest of article:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 77524.html
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cowboys - A team in turmoil

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:18 pm

I didn't post a full article or anything in my original thread (locked below), just Rotoworld updates, so I wasn't sure that I needed to link.

But yeah, this is basically what I was trying to get across. It's mind-boggling to me that Jerry can proceed with Phillips as the HC after this.
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
FLEX- D. McFadden, F. Jackson
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

B- T. Romo, J. Kerley, K. Hunter, V. Ballard, D. Thomas, B. Myers, S. Suisham
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasizing » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I didn't post a full article or anything in my original thread (locked below), just Rotoworld updates, so I wasn't sure that I needed to link.

But yeah, this is basically what I was trying to get across. It's mind-boggling to me that Jerry can proceed with Phillips as the HC after this.

Yeah, this is where the Head coach has to enact this "Head" role in bringing order and stability to the team, and Phillips doesn't seem to be the right guy for this.

Maybe they should snatch Parcells back from Miami. When Parcells was running the show, things at least appeared to be a bit more stable.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:41 am

This was very clear to me all year. There had to be more to it. The team has all the talent in the world but almost played like the league owed them something. Over confident. They lacked discipline and accountability just as stated in the article. Teams with much less talent beating them due to mistakes.

I am truly embarrased given what they had to work with. The team definately needs changes. We'll see what happens.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:24 am

fantasizing wrote:
Yeah, this is where the Head coach has to enact this "Head" role in bringing order and stability to the team, and Phillips doesn't seem to be the right guy for this.

Maybe they should snatch Parcells back from Miami. When Parcells was running the show, things at least appeared to be a bit more stable.

From what I am hearing and reading, Jerry Jones is the reason for a lot of this, reducing late fines from $5,000 to $100, allowing players to bypass the chain of command and talk to him directly, and basically undermining the authority of Phillips and the rest of the coaching staff. Phillips gets to stay so he can remain Jones' puppet. Parcells wouldn't let Jones interfere all the time and Phillips does, so that's why Parcells or a Parcells-type won't be in DAL until Jerry can be more hands off.
Last edited by joejlitz on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:38 am

Jason Garrett, DAL offensive coordinator, had this to say, yesterday about TO.

Jason Garrett on T.O.: 'I certainly have a lot of respect for him as a player'
January 19th, 2009 - 6:04pm - Dallas Morning News

“I certainly have a lot of respect for him as a player,” Garrett said, according to Tim MacMahon of the Dallas Morning News. “And we’ll just leave it at that.”

http://sportsnewsdaily.com/nfl/dallas-c ... ayer-65607

This is starting to get like high school. We all know about TO and his childish behavior, we're learning about Romo and his alleged poor work ethic, but for a coach of Garrett's stature (i.e. not a WR coach, not a strength coach, but an offensive coordinator) to say something like this in public and in the media is ridiculous. It is poor leadership on his part and given his position, his comments would have worse repurcussions on the team than would the comments of any player.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys discipline Garrett for this. Then again, I'm not much surprised by anything that happens in DAL anymore.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby moochman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:40 am

Soooo, TO's complaints about Romo being smitten with Witten are vindicated. Was he being a cancer or trying to help fix a problem that the laid-back coaching staff was too lax to deal with?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:36 pm

moochman wrote:Soooo, TO's complaints about Romo being smitten with Witten are vindicated. Was he being a cancer or trying to help fix a problem that the laid-back coaching staff was too lax to deal with?

right or wrong, you don't air them to the media. I don't care who the player is.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:37 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
moochman wrote:Soooo, TO's complaints about Romo being smitten with Witten are vindicated. Was he being a cancer or trying to help fix a problem that the laid-back coaching staff was too lax to deal with?

right or wrong, you don't air them to the media. I don't care who the player is.

Exactly.

Though I will award you 5 bonus points for being right about the lack of leadership in the coaching ranks. Garrett's comments are a definite sign of poor leadership.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:17 am

joejlitz wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Exactly.

Though I will award you 5 bonus points for being right about the lack of leadership in the coaching ranks. Garrett's comments are a definite sign of poor leadership.

True, I'd much rather it were handled privately. But remember in Dallas Jerruh loves him some publicity so keeping a mic loving dude like TO from spouting off is near impossible. Not ideal, just TO.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Football Talk