Week 22 GC: Pittsburgh vs. Arizona - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 22 GC: Pittsburgh vs. Arizona

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 22 GC: Pittsburgh vs. Arizona

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:44 am

Was this the same crew that called Super Bowl XL?

The Steelers were handed both Championships by the refs.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:47 am

The ball is no longer firmly in his grasp...therefore he no longer HAS complete possession of the ball. You are lingering too much on the idea of him completely "losing" possession, when in all reality he simply must not have complete possession of the ball any longer, which he certainly did not. The officiating crew wouldn't have overturned it anyway, evidenced by the fact that the guys upstairs deciding not to review it.

And seriously...Seahawks fans need to grow up a bit...this is starting to get ridiculous
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:06 am

Who's excited for pro bowl :-b
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:43 am

joejlitz wrote:Need more to complain about the refs?

Watching the NFL Network and Marshall Faulk made a great point. Santonio Holmes used the ball as a prop doing his salt and pepper imitation (or whatever it was) and was not flagged. A 15-yarder on the kickoff might'a made a difference...or it might not have. But it's another missed call by the officials.

I saw the celebration played again and was wondering where the flag was coming from but it never came, you cannot use the ball as a prop for a celebration they make that a big point, had that been one of the likely culprits(TO, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith) you probably see the flag, but I think the 15 yds make a difference.

Fitz is just fun to watch also, all he did was block his butt off the first 3 quarters even though he only had one catch and didn't complain or throw a fit, then he took over the 4th quarter, I really wanted him to get a ring.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:56 am

Very fishy ending IMO, but a great game nevertheless! I'm still bitter after SB XL, but I put that hatred aside and enjoyed a great 3 hours of football B-) ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:05 am

Wow...awesome game.
Loved the outcome! ;-D
The Cards took it to the Steelers there in the second half and almost pulled it out.
Wow

The refs inserted themselves WAAYYYY too much. On both sides of the field. A lot of wishy washy calls. The PF call on Ike Taylor was BS. So there was a little shoving. Thats all it was and it was coming from both sides. BS call. That was the worst of them. Like I said, both teams got some calls. Let them play the game!!!

Harrison was the MVP of the game until he got that stupid STUPID penatly on the punt. :-t

What i loved most...the Steeler's D has been bailing out the O all year and in the end, it was the O that bailed out the D! ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dogthedyslexic » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:17 am

Great game.

100 yard INT return. Fitz splitting the defense. Great catch by Holmes. A final comeback falling just short. Not much more you can ask for from a Super Bowl.

Except, maybe, better officiating. I think Pittsburgh was receiving the benefit of the doubt on most plays. I mean, the Cardinals had to challenge two plays, both of which were overturned, but Pittsburgh never even had to consider challenging.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Pittsburgh, but I thought that there were too many holding calls against Arizona. I do agree that the calls were valid, but I could probably call just as many against the Steelers. Then there was the roughing call against Bertrand Berry (I think) which was just plain ridiculous. And where was the personal foul on Holmes for using the ball as a chalk shaker in his LeBron James impersonation? How do you interpret the rule as to not throw a flag there? And then there was the non-review.

It was very close, but I thought it was an incomplete pass. In the super-duper, ultra slo-mo, it looked as if Warner's arm started a forward motion before it was knocked loose. Add in the 15 yard personal foul, and they have one shot from the Pittsburgh 34. And if Holmes' penalty is called, they're at the 19. In that situation, my money is on Fitzgerald to make the biggest play of his life.

Even though I thought it was a pass, I can see how some think it was a fumble. Whether it would have been overturned or not, I think that it deserved to be reviewed. A call so pivotal to a game so important needs to be made correctly. Take the two minutes and make sure you got it right. If they took the time to review it and let the call stand, then so be it, but in my opinion, at the very least, it needed a closer look.

Regardless of the officiating, it was a great game to watch. And for the record, I don't think the officiating is the reason the Steelers are champions again.

Bottom line is Pittsburgh is home to the Lombardi Trophy for the 6th time, and they are very deserving of it. Congratulations, Steeler fans.
dogthedyslexic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:06 am

dogthedyslexic wrote:I'm not trying to take anything away from Pittsburgh, but I thought that there were too many holding calls against Arizona. I do agree that the calls were valid, but I could probably call just as many against the Steelers.

By my count through play-by-play, the Cardinals had four holding penalties and the Steelers three. Not a significant difference, especially when one of the Steelers' holding penalties resulted in a safety.

Regardless of the officiating, it was a great game to watch. And for the record, I don't think the officiating is the reason the Steelers are champions again.

Bottom line is Pittsburgh is home to the Lombardi Trophy for the 6th time, and they are very deserving of it. Congratulations, Steeler fans.

Thank you for the support; it's good to find someone who realizes that the refs didn't laser guide that ball into Santonio Holmes' hands or cause Kurt Warner to throw that pick. Much appreciated. ;-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby joejlitz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:35 am

steelerfan513 wrote:People can point to whatever calls they want. The fact is the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII, and they earned it with that last drive.

Absolutely. I'm not hating. Congrats to the Steelers. They are definitely a likeable team (I guess I am one of the few that doesn't love or hate them). I just wish the game was officiated better and didn't end that way. The Eagles/Cards game ended the same way - on a questionable pass interference that wasn't called. I would have rather seen the Cards just make a great play on that last pass than something like that.

I would have rather seen a more clear cut fumble at the end of this one or a review.

Again - Congrats to the Steelers and to the Cards - looks like you got a tree to plant outside your stadium!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=435278
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Munboy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:58 am

This is getting ridicules. No, I take that back. It already is ridicules!

From now on, after every Superbowl that the Steelers don't win, I'm going to complain and say the refs gave the winning team the game.

There was bad calls against both teams throughout the game. There was wishy washy calls against both teams throughout the game.

Did a ref make a diving, toe dragging catch in the back of the end zone to put the Steelers ahead? No, they did not. The Steelers won the game. They have a ring for the other hand. Its over and done. Get over it.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting