Week 22 GC: Pittsburgh vs. Arizona - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 22 GC: Pittsburgh vs. Arizona

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 22 GC: Pittsburgh vs. Arizona

Postby Azrael » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 pm

The thing that bothered me as a Steelers fan is they went into that damn prevent defense up 20-7 and all it did was net the Cards 2 TDs that took them all of about 3 minutes to score both. I don't understand why teams do that. You hold a team to 7 points for 3 quarters and you change up your defense so the other team scores 2 touchdowns. What the hell?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:51 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I hope I don't have to get in another pissing match about the refs because the Steelers earned this win, but I'll ask this question preemptively: even if it was a forward pass (which, IMHO, it wasn't; he got the ball back, but Woodley hit the ball, and you couldn't say conclusively that he had control as his arm was going forward), what exactly are the chances that a hail mary works? There's no way in hell that the Cardinals had better than a 3% chance of converting there.

Odds are surely against it, but don't forget, they would've been 15 yards closer since that knucklehead took off his helmet. That 15-yarder would've still been enforced. Then they're throwing from the 35 or so? With time for two plays? It's inexcusable if it wasn't reviewed and I don't think it was. The official always announces reviews and he didn't.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bungle613 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:55 pm

Well, I would consider myself more of a Steelers fan then a Cards fan but I have now seen the last play 15+ times, it was a forward pass. The ball was never fully seperated from his hand to my eye. It can be argued and I don't have issue with that. This is the Superbowl boys, a full blown, 2-5 minute from every angle review should have been done. This is the life of these players, I can't tell you how many times I heard this week "you may never get here again" The NFL should make damn sure they get a critical call correct and on this one, they didn't.

I can't believe Whisenhunt lined up his guys to finish the game.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby joejlitz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:56 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
D3C4K wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Someone tell me how there can be no booth review on that final play.

Not a clue. Warner's arm was clearly moving forward with possession of the ball, even if there was contact during the "backswing". I highly doubt that Arizona could've done much if they kept the ball, so I wouldn't let that affect how much I enjoyed the game. That Cards secondary is TERRIBLE, however. Every time the Steelers needed a key pass, they made most of them with ease. How not one member of Arizona's secondary managed to get their sorry asses off the ground to make a serious attempt to stop Holmes in the endzone on back to back plays is beyond me. Three guys standing in one area right next to a skinny, sub-6-foot wide receiver making half-hearted swipes at the football. Pathetic, and I'm not even a Cardinals fan. I feel bad for Fitzgerald, he carried this team on his back time and time again (along with Arizona's front seven, who really stepped up their game), and he has to sit helplessly on the sideline while his secondary blows yet another late lead in a crucial game. Congrats to the Pittsburgh Steelers fans, hopefully their team can spead some of that championship love around next season. :-b

I agree for the most part, although Rogers-Cromartie did have a good game. He wasn't the one guarding Holmes at the end, and he did a pretty good job for the most part. Also, along with Fitz, Warner, Boldin, and Breaston all had great games also.

Actually, he bit on Roth's pump fake with 1:02 remaining which is why Holmes was so wide open and able to catch and run from the 46 to the 6 yard line and set up his own winning score. Rogers-Cromartie bit so badly he was only in the frame on one of the 2 angles I saw on the replay.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 pm

Need more to complain about the refs?

Watching the NFL Network and Marshall Faulk made a great point. Santonio Holmes used the ball as a prop doing his salt and pepper imitation (or whatever it was) and was not flagged. A 15-yarder on the kickoff might'a made a difference...or it might not have. But it's another missed call by the officials.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby mattb47 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:07 am

bungle613 wrote:Well, I would consider myself more of a Steelers fan then a Cards fan but I have now seen the last play 15+ times, it was a forward pass. The ball was never fully seperated from his hand to my eye. It can be argued and I don't have issue with that. This is the Superbowl boys, a full blown, 2-5 minute from every angle review should have been done. This is the life of these players, I can't tell you how many times I heard this week "you may never get here again" The NFL should make damn sure they get a critical call correct and on this one, they didn't.

It doesn't have to be fully separated....he just has to NOT have complete possession of the ball which he didn't. The rule is that he must have possession of the ball when he's going into his forward motion, not that he must not have the ball fully separated from his hand. The ball was starting to move once Woodley hit it which was still in the backward motion and therefore the ball was no longer completely in his possession.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:07 am

I thought it was a fumble, but it is really something that should have been looked at longer and in the future they should look into changed the rules so that if there is a passing motion, regardless of backward or forward motion it is an incomplete pass. That could help take some of the ambiguity out of it.
My thougts are that both teams made a great game of it because the QBs found the hot WRs. Oddly, of the pairings Warner and Fitz were obviously better than Ben and Holmes, yet lost. Probably because of a Zona D that wasn't up for the ultimate spotlight. They left too much room to Holmes, who along with Miller seemed the only players with any momentum.
Fitz continued to step up and assume the mantle of the top WR in the game. Sad that his QB is old enough to be his Dad.
Warner is a future HOFer. I think his performance cements his place in the hall.
Roethlisberger took a step up as a clutch QB and should help keep the Stillers an elite level team for the next decade.
Holmes, where were you all year? Too much talent to not play better during the season, no?
Zona D played well, Stillers not so much. Allowing Fitz to get open in the middle was Lion-esque. Not something you get away with vs that D.
Omar Epps is such a classy coach. WTG Tomlin and
Congratz Stillers ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mattb47 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:16 am

I thought the Steelers defense played okay until we started playing that 2 deep prevent late in the game...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:23 am

mattb47 wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Well, I would consider myself more of a Steelers fan then a Cards fan but I have now seen the last play 15+ times, it was a forward pass. The ball was never fully seperated from his hand to my eye. It can be argued and I don't have issue with that. This is the Superbowl boys, a full blown, 2-5 minute from every angle review should have been done. This is the life of these players, I can't tell you how many times I heard this week "you may never get here again" The NFL should make damn sure they get a critical call correct and on this one, they didn't.

It doesn't have to be fully separated....he just has to NOT have complete possession of the ball which he didn't. The rule is that he must have possession of the ball when he's going into his forward motion, not that he must not have the ball fully separated from his hand. The ball was starting to move once Woodley hit it which was still in the backward motion and therefore the ball was no longer completely in his possession.

As I said, it can be argued and I think as you said, it will be over the next few days. I did not see Warner "lose possession" of the ball.

It was a hell of a game and the Steelers earned a win, I would have liked to see Zona get, imho, their fair shot at one last gasp. Even if the full blown stoppage in play review was done and the call was upheld, so be it. The officiating in the NFL is allowing outcomes in games to be decided by them and not the 2 teams involved.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:32 am

joejlitz wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:I hope I don't have to get in another pissing match about the refs because the Steelers earned this win, but I'll ask this question preemptively: even if it was a forward pass (which, IMHO, it wasn't; he got the ball back, but Woodley hit the ball, and you couldn't say conclusively that he had control as his arm was going forward), what exactly are the chances that a hail mary works? There's no way in hell that the Cardinals had better than a 3% chance of converting there.

Odds are surely against it, but don't forget, they would've been 15 yards closer since that knucklehead took off his helmet. That 15-yarder would've still been enforced. Then they're throwing from the 35 or so? With time for two plays? It's inexcusable if it wasn't reviewed and I don't think it was. The official always announces reviews and he didn't.

I'll admit they should've given it an official look in the booth, but I don't think it would've changed anything. I don't see that call getting overturned, especially because the replay officials were certain enough to not even review it in the first place. And they only would've had time for one play; they wouldn't have put a lot of time back on the clock had the call been overturned, and there were only five seconds left as it is.

People can point to whatever calls they want. The fact is the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII, and they earned it with that last drive.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting