FSU's Parker Dismissed From Team - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

FSU's Parker Dismissed From Team

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: FSU's Parker Dismissed From Team

Postby Metroid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:45 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:I bet there is something in there about conduct though and they are just deciding not to execute that portion.

That's what I'm thinking and again I say good for them. Tossing the kid out of school only amplifies his problems. This young man obviously needs help and an education. Flesh it's easy to say to give him the boot or make him get financial aid if he still wants to go to FSU since he's not playing football anymore....you're in school no Flesh, is financial aid paying your way? Are you at a major university? I have a good sized grant and am at a community college, there's no way I could afford to go to a major university in fact I've taken out a loan for my first term. Schools are in the business of educating and helping people, tossing him out will hardly help him. If they have to decided to continue to help and educate this kid I say good for them, chances are if he had his scholarship revoked he wouldn't get back in school on his own. He's already had problems with guns and drugs, the last thing we need is another gun toting, drug dealer on the streets.

I've always been a "do the crime, so the time" guy with NFL players, but it's hard for me to do the same with college kids. Yeah I know he's probably 18 and technically and adult but he still has a lot of growing up to do. Yeah he lost his privilege to play football but taking away his opportunity to get a high quality education is tough.

Ok, so in order to go to school you had to get a grant and take out a loan. As far as I know, you've never broken the law or done anything illegal in nature. Now, lets compare you to Parker. He has broken the law and had problems with guns and drugs. He just so happens to be a really good football player as well, although he's no longer allowed to exercise that ability on the FSU team. Why is it fair that you, the upstanding citizen, has to get a loan and then work later on in your life to pay it off, while he, the drug taking, gun toting thug gets to go to school for free because previously, his football ability actually meant something?

I'm fine with the school not kicking him out, but don't let him attend for free. At this point, give him a fresh start, and treat him like any of the other thousands of regular students on campus, all of whom have found a way to pay for their education.

Whoa hold on I never said it was fair or that I wasn't jealous or even that I thought it was right, I'm just looking at the big picture and what I see is an institution that maybe feels they can help him. Good for them that they want to, and I hope they can. After think on it more though I agree he probably shouldn't get a total free ride, what I should have been saying all along is good for them for not kicking him out of school.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: FSU's Parker Dismissed From Team

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Metroid wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:That's what I'm thinking and again I say good for them. Tossing the kid out of school only amplifies his problems. This young man obviously needs help and an education. Flesh it's easy to say to give him the boot or make him get financial aid if he still wants to go to FSU since he's not playing football anymore....you're in school no Flesh, is financial aid paying your way? Are you at a major university? I have a good sized grant and am at a community college, there's no way I could afford to go to a major university in fact I've taken out a loan for my first term. Schools are in the business of educating and helping people, tossing him out will hardly help him. If they have to decided to continue to help and educate this kid I say good for them, chances are if he had his scholarship revoked he wouldn't get back in school on his own. He's already had problems with guns and drugs, the last thing we need is another gun toting, drug dealer on the streets.

I've always been a "do the crime, so the time" guy with NFL players, but it's hard for me to do the same with college kids. Yeah I know he's probably 18 and technically and adult but he still has a lot of growing up to do. Yeah he lost his privilege to play football but taking away his opportunity to get a high quality education is tough.

Ok, so in order to go to school you had to get a grant and take out a loan. As far as I know, you've never broken the law or done anything illegal in nature. Now, lets compare you to Parker. He has broken the law and had problems with guns and drugs. He just so happens to be a really good football player as well, although he's no longer allowed to exercise that ability on the FSU team. Why is it fair that you, the upstanding citizen, has to get a loan and then work later on in your life to pay it off, while he, the drug taking, gun toting thug gets to go to school for free because previously, his football ability actually meant something?

I'm fine with the school not kicking him out, but don't let him attend for free. At this point, give him a fresh start, and treat him like any of the other thousands of regular students on campus, all of whom have found a way to pay for their education.

Whoa hold on I never said it was fair or that I wasn't jealous or even that I thought it was right, I'm just looking at the big picture and what I see is an institution that maybe feels they can help him. Good for them that they want to, and I hope they can. After think on it more though I agree he probably shouldn't get a total free ride, what I should have been saying all along is good for them for not kicking him out of school.

That's fine. I agree that he shouldn't be kicked out of the school. He should just be like any regular student now.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to College Football