Girl starves to death after dental visit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Girl starves to death after dental visit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Girl starves to death after dental visit

Postby stomperrob » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:53 am

Bizarre!!!

British girl starves to death after dentists pull all her teeth
Tue Feb 10, 11:44 AM
By Jill Lawless, The Associated Press

LONDON - Eight-year-old Sophie Waller cracked a baby tooth eating candy, and set off the chain of events that led to her death.

Sophie refused to open her mouth for a dentist so doctors at her local hospital took out the tooth in an operation, one of the doctors told a coroner's inquest. They removed all seven of her other baby teeth at the same time to avoid the need for future operations, the doctor said.

After the surgery Sophie refused to eat or even open her mouth for her parents, the couple told the inquest. But she was sent home anyway, and starved to death three weeks after the operation.

The parents said the hospital mishandled Sophie's follow-up care, referring them to a child psychologist who told them not to worry about Sophie's plummeting weight. Sophie's mother, Janet Waller, said she also was told to consult her family doctor, who prescribed nutrition drinks over the phone but did not see the girl in person.

Pediatric pathologist Dr. Marie-Ann Brundler said Sophie died at home Dec. 2, 2005 from kidney failure caused by starvation and dehydration. The inquest was told Sophie weighed 72 pounds when she went into hospital and lost a third of that weight before she died.

con't...

rest of article: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0902 ... rl_starved
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Girl starves to death after dental visit

Postby wickerkat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 am

christ, what the f were these parents doing? after my kid lost TEN pounds i'd have him/her at the doctor - that's just tragic
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dream_017 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:57 am

Way to go parents ;-7

parent: my daughter had all her teeth extracted and is losing weight at a rapid rate
doctor: call somebody else, but don't bring her in
parent: OK
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Metroid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:14 pm

What a "feel good" story to start my day with.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Metroid wrote:What a "feel good" story to start my day with.

Seriously. This is horrible :-t

It does make me appreciate my parents for not being complete numbskulls like these people though, so I guess it's not all bad :*)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Wow. 8-o

So many people at fault and places to lay blame on this one. Hard to believe so many different people were involved and the poor girl still died. :-o

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:58 pm

This is pathetic. Say what you will about the doctors, who almost assuredly handled it poorly, but ultimately, this is just another case of parents trying to lay blame on others when they are at fault.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:10 pm

My mom woulda been like "boy you better eat or I'm taking away Nintendo." And I ate period!!! Too much to risk.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:14 am

I've read that a couple times and still don't see why they removed ALL her teeth? What the hell is up with that? Oh and the parents are idiots too.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby houstonherdfan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:04 am

That's socialized medicine for you. The fualt lies with all of them. The taking of all the teeth was because it saved time and money (1 surgery instead of 7). The hospital probably feklt that she would be more likely to eat in a familar setting (when she didn't parents should have taken her back to the hospital). The doctor didn't see her because it was not discribed at the girl being sick (at least thats hjow the artcle made it seem). The parents because thay were just plain stupid.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to General Talk