Huh? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers

Huh?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Huh?

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:21 pm

Max Starks? Really?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09050/950325-100.stm

IMO, this is a proud franchise overvaluing their in-house talent. I just don't see the market for a guy like Starks being competitive enough to justify paying him $8 million. Starks is an okay tackle at best and shouldn't be considered the long term solution at the most important position on a terrible offensive line.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Huh?

Postby Munboy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:57 pm

At first, I had the same reaction.

But then I thought about it a bit. I don't think there's anybody who will argue the Oline needs some serious help. But you can't just completely overhaul a line in one off season, especially with over half of it becoming free agents. Starks isn't the best tackle in the business, but he's servicable. The Steelers had three options. They could have hoped he developed into a better tackle and signed him long term, let him go to FA and hope he doesn't find a better deal, or tag him for a year and work on the weaker parts of the line.

I'm hoping that last one is what they decided. Keep Starks for a year, work on improving other parts of the line, and then depending on how he does throughout the season, sign him long term if he improves or let him go.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:02 pm

It may not have been exactly what I would have done but I've rarely looked back on decisions we've made in the past and thought that we really made poor decisions personnel wise...so if our ownership feels that it's best to make this move, then I trust their judgment. I'm sure they'll be working on signing him to a longer term contract anyway.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:44 pm

Rumor is that Colts center Jeff Saturday wants to come to the Steelers and could play guard if necessary.

Anything could help at this point. The Steelers' O-line has Colon cancer and "Kemo"therapy is not an option. :-b
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby mattb47 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:12 am

Getting Saturday would be awesome...he's an excellent offensive lineman and would immediately and drastically improve our offensive line.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:52 pm

(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Darn...it's alright though, there are a lot of quality offensive lineman available in free agency this year...hopefully we can nab one of them at least to help anchor things a bit.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PMoneyTKE » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:06 pm

Back off he's ours! }:-) :-b
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:Back off he's ours! }:-) :-b

:-b

Wow, a visitor! Welcome. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers