QB Matt Cassel traded to Kansas City - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

QB Matt Cassel traded to Kansas City

Moderator: Football Moderators

QB Matt Cassel traded to Kansas City

Postby YerInUrine » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:52 pm

I just heard on the radio that the Patriots are possibly looking to move Cassel to the Panthers for Peppers.

It sounds pretty ridiculous, I was wondering if anyone heard anything similar.
Last edited by YerInUrine on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YerInUrine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: *Rumor* Cassel Trade

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:55 pm

That was speculated on earlier in the week, but I can't say I have heard anything definative.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DemonDeacon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:00 pm

is Cassel really the answer that the Panthers need?? Delhomme isnt elite but he gets the job done. Neither Delhomme or Cassel throw a good long ball and Delhomme is more well rounded. Not sure i like this move... rephrase i dont like this move for Carolina. Love it from the Pats point of view
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Postby PMoneyTKE » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:09 pm

There's another rumor floating around that the Vrabel trade could be a lot larger and include Cassel. Shaping up to be an interesting free agency period. 8-o
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DemonDeacon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:16 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:There's another rumor floating around that the Vrabel trade could be a lot larger and include Cassel. Shaping up to be an interesting free agency period. 8-o

oh la la. I like the thought of Cassel going to KC but it also makes me sad. I love an underdog and really would like to see Thingpin start this year... Is it just me or is anyone else here rooting for Detroit and KC this offseason!?!?! lol
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 16)

Postby bungle613 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:29 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:There's another rumor floating around that the Vrabel trade could be a lot larger and include Cassel. Shaping up to be an interesting free agency period. 8-o

PER ROTOWORLD

Patriots beat writer Mike Reiss wonders if Mike Vrabel's trade could be part of a larger deal including Matt Cassel.

Now that would be a doozy. Reiss is one of the most well-respected beat writers in the country, and is usually very cautious to publish anything resembling speculation. He rightly points out that we have no idea what the compensation in the Vrabel trade is.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby YerInUrine » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Mike Reiss - Boston Globe wrote:ANALYSIS

After stepping back to digest the surprising news of a Patriots-Chiefs trade with Mike Vrabel, two thoughts came to mind:

# 1) How much are finances a part of this decision?

# 2) Could this be part of a larger deal with the Chiefs that might involve Matt Cassel?

The 33-year-old Vrabel was entering the final year of his contract in 2009. He was due to earn $2.2 million in base salary, would receive a $1 million roster bonus, and count $4.3 million against the salary cap.

Given Vrabel's contributions to the Patriots -- on the field and in the locker room -- that doesn't seem like much to digest.

So why make the deal?

From a Chiefs perspective, they had one of the youngest rosters in the NFL last season, and new general manager Scott Pioli understands the importance of veteran leadership in the locker room. Vrabel will provide that in Kansas City, likely as a team captain.

The question is why the Patriots would trade Vrabel.

Until more details become available on the trade itself -- and if this is the first domino to fall on a larger deal -- the answer to that question remains open-ended.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... l_ana.html
YerInUrine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby stomperrob » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:40 pm

Boston's other paper weighs in on the issue:

Matt Cassel key to Patriots plan
By Karen Guregian
Friday, February 27, 2009 - Updated 2h ago

The free-for-all known as free agency began just after midnight, meaning NFL teams can officially woo and sign players who are no longer under contract. Teams can also make trades.

For the Patriots, that could very well mean Matt Cassel’s time in New England is running out. And if there’s something in the works, chances are it will happen sooner rather than later as teams try and get a handle on their rosters heading into April’s draft.

Should Cassel’s one-year, $14.65 million franchise tender remain on the books, it will be difficult for the Pats to do much in the way of landing free agents.

At the scouting combine in Indianapolis last Sunday, Pats coach Bill Belichick made it sound like something was in store.

“As we head into free agency, I’m sure there will be more changes, there always are,” said Belichick. “We’ll be active with trying to improve our team, whatever way we can.”

con't...

rest of article: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/foot ... iots_plan/
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Notice how all these rumors are emerging from Boston newspapers. The consensus around the league has to be that Cassel is not worth a 1st round pick, let alone the two it would take to sign him to an offer sheet right now.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bungle613 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:04 pm

LoveBoatCaptain wrote:Notice how all these rumors are emerging from Boston newspapers. The consensus around the league has to be that Cassel is not worth a 1st round pick, let alone the two it would take to sign him to an offer sheet right now.

Agree 100%. Have had a couple of heated debates over the rumour of Cassell going to the Vikes. Told them it was ridiculous and that any GM would be a fool to spend that much on Cassell.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk