The Grand Scheme for 2009 shaping up - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

The Grand Scheme for 2009 shaping up

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Grand Scheme for 2009 shaping up

Postby biju » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Welcome to Seattle T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Now realistically when I thought about grabbing Housh in FA I was expecting a 5 year contract that is structured more like a 3 year deal, but with a low signing bonus. Well, $15 million isn't low at all but the $8 M a year was a little lower than I thought we would be able to land him at. (To be quite honest, I thought more teams would be after his services so maybe that is a little concerning to me.)

But I'm very pumped about this!!!

We also "fixed" one of our other needs with Colin Cole signing to a 5 year deal. Cole is a solid "1 technique" DT and this will allow Brandon Mebane to move to the "3 technique" which suits his abilities better. If Red Bryant can stay healthy we might be able to have a really solid rotation up front that will stay fresh and really strike some fear into our opponents (finally).

Now, the final pieces really need to fall into place:

- We draft a OT with the #4 pick. We need to be ready for when Walter Jones retires, and if our new LT can learn a year or two from Jones it will make a huge impact on our line. I had originally wanted Andre Smith but given his weight issues and huge gaffes during the combine raise too many maturity questions for me. Oher, Monroe or Jason Smith are all fine choices and I suspect we'll have our shot at one of them. I'm personally rooting for Jason Smith but I don't think he makes it to us.

- We still need to acquire a good sized CB. We need to remember that we have to face Larry Fitzgerald twice every year and using someone like Kelly Jennings on him will just get us burned. We need to light a fire under Jennings or Wilson and grabbing a value guy later in free agency will do the trick.

- We still also need to grab a WR in the draft. I'm now hoping that with our #1 spot locked up for at least the next three years we can be patient with a little bit of a project. That's why I would like to see someone like Brian Robiskie get drafted in the 3rd round. He's a great replacement for Bobby Engram and I'd be willing to bet he will transition quickly to the NFL.

Well, I'm going to leave work now and go have a celebration drink on signing Housh! ;-D

Huge props to Ruskell for grabbing Housh!
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The Grand Scheme for 2009 shaping up

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Love the Housh move, and if they don't waste that #4 pick on someone stupid, I REALLY like how things are shaping up. An OL is a must IMO, and if they are able to bring someone in at that spot that can help us out for the post-Walter years, that would be fantastic :-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:50 pm

For a day I was really freaking out because we had all heard the "rumors" but the Seahawks hadn't made anything official. When the MRI stuff came up I thought "Oh crap" but it appears everything worked out OK.

WaCougMBS wrote:Love the Housh move, and if they don't waste that #4 pick on someone stupid, I REALLY like how things are shaping up. An OL is a must IMO, and if they are able to bring someone in at that spot that can help us out for the post-Walter years, that would be fantastic :-D

I'm probably reading into this WAAAY too much, but the fact that they haven't exactly made re-signing Willis a top priority kind of tells me where they are heading in the draft. We have Sean Locklear coming back and Jones on the left, which paves the way for a young LT to come in and learn from a future HOFer while possibly splitting up some work.

Besides, an OT basically is a good player to draft given our salary cap size right now and positions us very, very well down the line.

I would also like to see us try to grab a good "role playing" center, but he's got to be a cheap FA or at least in the 2nd day of the draft. I don't want to see Ruskell overpaying for a C the way we did with Chris Spencer when he took him with the 26th overall pick in 2005. Actually, I take it back. I don't want us drafting a center. Just someone who can push Spencer for his job and maybe light a fire under his arse.

8-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby biju » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:57 pm

One more thought:

We should really be playing up the possibility of Crabtree going to CIN to Al Davis. Since CIN picks just before the Raiders do, we might be able to pick up that draft pick in the 3rd we lost when we traded up to get John Carlson.

Or knowing how much Al Davis overpays, maybe we can grab their 2nd rounder. :-b
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:17 pm

biju wrote:One more thought:

We should really be playing up the possibility of Crabtree going to CIN to Al Davis. Since CIN picks just before the Raiders do, we might be able to pick up that draft pick in the 3rd we lost when we traded up to get John Carlson.

Or knowing how much Al Davis overpays, maybe we can grab their 2nd rounder. :-b

I'm telling you, dude... you should be in their front office! ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:09 pm

I like the OT idea too, but part of me thinks Crabtree would still be the best pick. I know we've got Branch and Nate but neither of them inspires a ton of confidence from me. :-b

biju wrote: - We still need to acquire a good sized CB. We need to remember that we have to face Larry Fitzgerald twice every year and using someone like Kelly Jennings on him will just get us burned. We need to light a fire under Jennings or Wilson and grabbing a value guy later in free agency will do the trick.

What do you think about any of the recent cuts? Specifically, Rolle and McAlister have both been cut by the Ravens and Lucas is out of Carolina. Would any of them be worth a look?
Big Pimpin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:26 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I like the OT idea too, but part of me thinks Crabtree would still be the best pick. I know we've got Branch and Nate but neither of them inspires a ton of confidence from me. :-b

It's tough to say here. First off, Branch has not been worth that 1st round pick we gave up for him at all. I'm not sure why GMs keep bailing out the Patriots of all their problems. And Burleson certainly hasn't lived up to his $49 M contract (yeah, I know he's not making much until next year) either. At the same time, when they have been good they have been **good** and have the ability be burn defenses. With Housh there they will be even more potent, especially if Housh lives up to his claim that he can be a true #1 (which I think he already was the last two years in CIN).

I'm not sold on Crabtree, although I am warming to the idea a little as long as he can get much, much better. Here's a YouTube video of Michael Crabtree. Watch it and tell me why everyone is so high on this guy, because I don't see it. I'd rather wait and hope Heyward-Bey falls into the second round, or Robiskie (a guy who probably could help us today as a #4).

But I still maintain that we should be taking as close to a "can't miss" type player as possible. For me, that's Aaron Curry, Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe or B.J. Raji. (I've read that Raji has character issues so he's probably off Ruskell's board already).

Big Pimpin wrote:
biju wrote: - We still need to acquire a good sized CB. We need to remember that we have to face Larry Fitzgerald twice every year and using someone like Kelly Jennings on him will just get us burned. We need to light a fire under Jennings or Wilson and grabbing a value guy later in free agency will do the trick.

What do you think about any of the recent cuts? Specifically, Rolle and McAlister have both been cut by the Ravens and Lucas is out of Carolina. Would any of them be worth a look?

I think it depends on what kind of a role we want them to play. McAlister and Rolle could be great mentors for our younger guys and McAlister has the size to play against Fitzgerald (he's only 2 inches shorter at 6' 1"). They both, however, are old for corners and have had injury issues the last two years. Lucas, on the other hand, could probably step in and be a starting CB and would probably be a cheaper option.

I don't think Ruskell is ready to give up on Jennings and Wilson though, and while I've expressed disappointment with our CBs I need to remember that Trufant didn't break out until his 4th year and 2009 will be Jennings' 4th year and Wilson's 3rd.

Maybe they'll step up this year...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby biju » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Well, with the trade of Peterson for Redding it seems like Ruskell is setting himself up for the draft. This move means:

1. The Lions don't take Curry in the #1 spot
2. We don't take B.J. Raji at the 4th overall spot.
3. We probably don't end up with an LT at this spot either, since I put it at around 70% the Lions go Smith and then the Rams take Monroe. If we do go OL that means we go Oher at #4 and I think that ends up being too much of a reach even though we still need him in the future.

I now believe that the Seahawks are going to draft Crabtree.

I also think this is in anticipation of uncapped football too. The Seahawks are in a rare position where we have an owner that, if we have no limitations on our salary, can buy a winning team.

Grabbing an "expensive" position like WR in 2009 will seem cheap in 2010. Or at least that's what I'm hoping happens.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:09 am

Why not Curry to replace Peterson?
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby biju » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:42 am

SeaWolf wrote:Why not Curry to replace Peterson?

I have to think Curry will get taken by KC at #3 since they have filled up some glaring holes and the top 2 OL gone. He's the safe pick here and I can't see them drafting anyone else...except for possibly Crabtree.

If we can actually draft Curry we will, make no mistake. I just see KC getting their hand forced if he falls to them.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Seattle Seahawks