At least she wasn't smoking - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

At least she wasn't smoking

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I can't believe this conversation went this way. Ridiculous. How did we go from a mother who drives with a breastfeeding baby on her lap to an accidental discharge from a firearm? Matthias, I think you're really reaching for a fight here. If you wanted to discuss gun rights why didn't you open your own thread on the topic instead of basically hijacking this one?

Because I didn't want to discuss gun rights and it's not what the discussion is about. The discussion was about behavior that was reckless and endangering the lives of children. You're the only one who even tried to make it a rights issue; I was always talking about behavior and being responsible.

No, you said guns or kids, you shouldn't have both.

Yah; that's not a rights issue; that's a parental suggestion issue. I would also say smoke cigarettes in the house or have kids, you shouldn't do both. Or you can go out drinking until 3am or have kids, you shouldn't do both.

The right to purchase alcohol is guaranteed in the 21st Amendment but the above has nothing to do with that.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:14 pm

I think we're all very aware of your intentions Matthias.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:33 pm

You're really putting in something that isn't there.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Yeah, because I'm the only one that responded to your attempt to paint parents who own guns as irresponsible. I'm the only one who interpreted your comments to be about gun rights. Sure. Whatever gets you through the day man.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:06 pm

I would say you have the right to spend your day passing out leaflets on the upcoming invasion of the galaxy of Zwarm, but that doesn't mean I think it would be a good idea. A woman also has the right to drink alcohol while she's pregnant, but that also would not be a good idea.

There's rights and then there's responsibilities. The two aren't the same.

Or very simply, you have the right to live irresponsibly. But I wouldn't endorse it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:15 pm

Matthias wrote:I would say you have the right to spend your day passing out leaflets on the upcoming invasion of the galaxy of Zwarm, but that doesn't mean I think it would be a good idea. A woman also has the right to drink alcohol while she's pregnant, but that also would not be a good idea.

There's rights and then there's responsibilities. The two aren't the same.

Or very simply, you have the right to live irresponsibly. But I wouldn't endorse it.


But suggesting that it is erroneous for us to interpret your post this way is laughable, considering your history.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Matthias wrote:I would say you have the right to spend your day passing out leaflets on the upcoming invasion of the galaxy of Zwarm, but that doesn't mean I think it would be a good idea. A woman also has the right to drink alcohol while she's pregnant, but that also would not be a good idea.

There's rights and then there's responsibilities. The two aren't the same.

Or very simply, you have the right to live irresponsibly. But I wouldn't endorse it.

But suggesting that it is erroneous for us to interpret your post this way is laughable, considering your history.

You're suggesting that your interpretation of my intention is more accurate than my clear statement of my intent. That's what's laughable.

And your history isn't any better; it takes two to tango, y'know.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Look, if it makes you feel uncomfortable to think of yourself as being irresponsible because you have children and guns and it's not as fun as writing on an internet board and make cracks about a woman who was breast-feeding her child while driving, I'm sorry.

But it's not a discussion on gun rights: it's a discussion on parental responsibilities. Don't turn it into something it isn't.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Matthias wrote:Look, if it makes you feel uncomfortable to think of yourself as being irresponsible because you have children and guns and it's not as fun as writing on an internet board and make cracks about a woman who was breast-feeding her child while driving, I'm sorry.

But it's not a discussion on gun rights: it's a discussion on parental responsibilities. Don't turn it into something it isn't.


This is what I posted regarding this story. You even quoted it earlier.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Well, obviously we don't have to point out how irresponsible this is. She basically admitted that she didn't think it was and will likely do it again. Can you imagine the carnage if she were to get in an accident and that airbag went off with that bag in her lap against it? I don't want to the think about.


I didn't, and I don't think anyone else did, make a "crack" or a funny about what this woman did. I critique myself daily about my parenting. I think every caring parent does. I don't have any discomfort in considering a possible irresponsible flaw in my parenting. Owning guns and introducing my son to them certainly is not one of them. If anything, it's the opposite. When he's a young man he will be comfortable with guns, and know how to properly handle them. That can't be said for a kid who was sheltered away from them or even told they were bad. God forbid they come across one and don't know how to safely handle it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: At least she wasn't smoking

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Fine, instead of "making a crack" insert "criticizing smugly."

I still say that anyone who has children and has guns in their house has no moral high ground from which to criticize anyone else about endangering their child. And that's all I've said throughout this entire thread. Your whole off-the-handle reaction about gun rights is 100% off-base.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:38 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact