BIG ONE... Owens released... Signs With Buffalo - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

BIG ONE... Owens released... Signs With Buffalo

Moderator: Football Moderators

BIG ONE... Owens released... Signs With Buffalo

Postby bungle613 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:25 am

PER ROTOWORLD

Citing "two sources," ESPN's Michael Smith reports that the Cowboys have released Terrell Owens.

If so, they're getting the move out of the way early. Owens' $3.1M roster bonus wasn't due until June. The move results in a small cap hit, but saves Jerry Jones $5.77 million in cash. Owens still has a lot left -- he averaged 18.9 yards per catch and scored five touchdowns in the Cowboys' last eight games -- and may draw interest from the Raiders, Redskins, Jets, and Broncos. Receiver-needy teams not expected to pursue him include Chicago, Philadelphia, and Miami.
Last edited by bungle613 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: BIG ONE... rumour of Owens release

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:43 am

Just heard it on sports radio.

Report: Cowboys release WR Owens

BRISTOL, CONNECTICUT (TICKER) —Terrell Owens’ tumultuous tenure with the Dallas Cowboys appears to be over.

ESPN reported late Wednesday night that the Cowboys have decided to cut ties with their talented lightning rod of a wide receiver. The news comes after a heated 2008 campaign in which Owens was caught up in several controversies and the Cowboys - thought to be Super Bowl contenders - missed the playoffs.

In three seasons in Dallas, Owens caught 245 passes for 3,587 yards and 38 touchdown receptions.

I think he was getting to be too much of a pain in the arse. The only reason that team didn't go deep into the playoffs is Chemestry. Owens was a huge problem with too many demands. I think the team will be better with out him but we will see.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby bungle613 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:47 am

Tough production to replace but he is an ass, that part you can certainly do without. Now, if you can reign in your QB and owner, all will be good in big D.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:18 am

Probably would have made more sense to do this while there were still some left in FA. I mean they can build around Roy Williams, but going after Housh or Coles might have been a good idea.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:44 am

I realize this is a bit of a tangent here, but when he gains entry to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (and he will get in someday), what team will he go in with? Seriously! The Niners and Eagles won't touch him and he only played in Dallas for three years. :-B

In any case, Dallas will be less of a zoo without him. Perhaps Daniel Snyder is interested in him. God knows he overpays for crappy has beens and never will be's all the time.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:03 am

How studly would he look across from Moss with Welker in the slot? Even if Brady can throw 50 TD passes again I don't think you could keep everyone happy. :-b
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:15 am

portisfan24 wrote:How studly would he look across from Moss with Welker in the slot? Even if Brady can throw 50 TD passes again I don't think you could keep everyone happy. :-b

I thought of that but probably around Week 4 he'd stumble across this video and start insinuating that Brady was gay.

Where does he go? I could see SD being a fit if they had the cap room.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 am

Two words: Miles Austin }:-)
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby madaslives911 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:06 am

Matthias wrote:Where does he go?

Maybe to the Oakland Raiders? would the Jets or the Giants dare to catch a locker-room virus? B-)

Could Terrell Owens, Vick land with the Raiders?With Dallas Cowboys controversial wide receiver Terrell Owens reportedly on thin ice in Valley Ranch, the NFL rumor mill is swirling about where Owens might wind up if Cowboys owner Jerry Jones ultimately decides to cut ties.

And the Oakland Raiders, who could use a deep threat for quarterback JaMarcus Russell, could be a potential destination for Owens if he's looking for a new employer, according to the Contra Costa Times.

"Of course it's a possibility," Times beat writer Steve Corkran said Tuesday during a live chat with Raiders fans. "Terrell Owens has Raider written all over him, and Al Davis is the kind of owner who would allow Owens to be the person he is as long as he produces in games."
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby D3C4K » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:15 am

portisfan24 wrote:How studly would he look across from Moss with Welker in the slot? Even if Brady can throw 50 TD passes again I don't think you could keep everyone happy. :-b

Yeah, I was actually wondering myself if Owens would just say "**** it* and sign with the Pats at reduced pay to finally get that ring and stick it to the rest of the league. There are only so many places he'd probably consider, as they'd have to be a playoff contender, with an owner willing to spend, spend, spend. This situation actually has Redskins written all over it (with the Jets coming in a close second), but I hope he goes elsewhere. I'd love to see him play for Indy, New England, Minnesota, Tennessee, or any NFC South team other than Tampa Bay. Oakland would be absolutely terrible, that team is trash and almost destroyed Randy Moss' career. Not only would Owens be on a losing team, but his stats would be horrible (which you know will affect him personally), not to mention the amount of drama that franchise has already gone through recently. Oakland may actually be the worst possible scenario for him.
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas