Torry Holt wants out...gets released...signs with Jax - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Torry Holt wants out...gets released...signs with Jax

Moderator: Football Moderators

Torry Holt wants out...gets released...signs with Jax

Postby stomperrob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Torry Holt tells St. Louis Rams he wants out
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
03/05/2009

Seven-time Pro Bowler Torry Holt, a mainstay of the Rams' Greatest Show on Turf teams, has asked for his release, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday. But the Rams still have 12 days to grant his wish.

Holt, 32, is due a roster bonus of $1.25 million March 17, so it's highly unlikely he will be a Ram beyond then. But the Rams could still try to trade him until then, meaning any potential trade partner wouldn't have to compete for his services, as would be the case if he were released.

Today marks only the seventh day of the free agency period. But more than 100 players already have either signed with new teams or re-signed with their old squad. Hundreds of millions of dollars have been committed in new contracts. MORE RAMS

Realizing he no longer fits in the team's plans, Holt is seeking closure on his time in St. Louis, as well as an opportunity to find a job ASAP.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Torry Holt wants out

Postby bungle613 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Rumour is that they are only asking for a 4th or 5th for him and can't get it.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:30 pm

bungle613 wrote:Rumour is that they are only asking for a 4th or 5th for him and can't get it.

Yea, if all these teams know that they are going to cut him eventually anyway they aren't going to give up a draft pick like that for him.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DemonDeacon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:12 pm

mattb47 wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Rumour is that they are only asking for a 4th or 5th for him and can't get it.

Yea, if all these teams know that they are going to cut him eventually anyway they aren't going to give up a draft pick like that for him.

agreed. Holt is a VERY old 32... i cant imagine he'll get much playing time anywhere he goes, unless its Tennessee or Miami.
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:32 pm

If guys like Houshmanzadeh and Owens are getting cut, there is no way a guy like Torry Holt is going to get traded.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby TheDiplomats » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:41 pm

DemonDeacon wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

agreed. Holt is a VERY old 32... i cant imagine he'll get much playing time anywhere he goes, unless its Tennessee or Miami.

I disagree on that last note. Holt may not have his great deep speed but he still has great hands and impeccable route running. I think he would make an excellent #2 WR on any team in the league. If he lands in the right spot, 1000+ yards and 6+ TDs is very realistic.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:02 pm

For what it's worth, I think Holt is extremely underrated at this point.

I would welcome him into Minnesota as our WR2 with open arms.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:52 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:
DemonDeacon wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

I disagree on that last note. Holt may not have his great deep speed but he still has great hands and impeccable route running. I think he would make an excellent #2 WR on any team in the league. If he lands in the right spot, 1000+ yards and 6+ TDs is very realistic.

I agree...I wasn't insinuating that he can't be productive when I was stating that, it was more about the fact that teams just won't trade for him and give up a draft pick if they can sign him instead once he gets released. He'll find a good home somewhere and he's easily still a #2 WR on most teams...I wonder if we could see him somewhere like Indianapolis? His crisp route running in that offense would be a perfect fit if he's willing to not get a huge contract.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby fantasizing » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Tennessee seems like a very logical landing spot for him. A veteran receiver in Hold with a veteran QB in Collins would mean a short learning curve, and high productivity within a few games into the season.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bungle613 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:44 pm

LoveBoatCaptain wrote:For what it's worth, I think Holt is extremely underrated at this point.

I would welcome him into Minnesota as our WR2 with open arms.

I'll 2nd that
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk