Your First Car. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Your First Car.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Your First Car.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:22 pm

The_Captain wrote:I can't find a decent picture, but my first car (back in 1986) was a 1979 Ford Pinto hatchback in canary yellow. It was a stickshift, with an 8-track cassette player which I had to purchase a converter for. It was a great car and a freakin' sherman tank.

No pictures? There's tons of pictures of yellow Pintos out there. You're just being modest. :-D

Nice to see you around Cap. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Captain » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 pm

Modest or embarrassed - I think the jury is still out on on that one.... :-b

Actually, truth be told, that car was a great find. I purchased it for $1800 dollars (ahhhh, the days of $100 car payments) and it got me through my senior year in high school and two years of college. I careened the entire side of a my parent's neighbor's red station wagon (one snowy December day in Colorado) with only a small dent. I could go on, but needless to say, it was a great first car.

Oh, and thanks for posting some good pics ORS....my picture finding skills are not all they are cracked up to be.

And, it's good to be back. ;-D

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:12 am

I wish this was my 1978 Chevy Nova, but what I have is a royal blue Nova with a 1970 Chevelle SS454 V-8 in it. Yes, that's my first car ever and I still have it. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:I wish this was my 1978 Chevy Nova, but what I have is a royal blue Nova with a 1970 Chevelle SS454 V-8 in it. Yes, that's my first car ever and I still have it. ;-D

Nice Art, Bowtie Power FTW! My current 67 Impala. B-)
do you have all the SS454 emblems?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:47 am

The_Captain wrote:I can't find a decent picture, but my first car (back in 1986) was a 1979 Ford Pinto hatchback in canary yellow. It was a stickshift, with an 8-track cassette player which I had to purchase a converter for. It was a great car and a freakin' sherman tank.

The equivalent was the Mercury Bobcat, my Grandma had one. It was the car I learned street-driving on, when I was twelve. Pop that clutch and GO!
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Metroid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I wish this was my 1978 Chevy Nova, but what I have is a royal blue Nova with a 1970 Chevelle SS454 V-8 in it. Yes, that's my first car ever and I still have it. ;-D

Nice Art, Bowtie Power FTW! My current 67 Impala. B-)
do you have all the SS454 emblems?

Actually I don't have them, but it still has the Nova logo on the side where the SS454 would be. I've been meaning to find and buy a couple of SS454 emblems, but I keep forgetting. :*)

I love that Impala, BTW. My friend actually has the much fabled 6-fo with the same shade of black. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:41 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Actually I don't have them, but it still has the Nova logo on the side where the SS454 would be. I've been meaning to find and buy a couple of SS454 emblems, but I keep forgetting. :*)

I love that Impala, BTW. My friend actually has the much fabled 6-fo with the same shade of black. ;-D

My favorite Impala is the 59 then the 65...then mine. B-) :-B

I think my buddy might have the SS454 grille emblem and the 454 fender emblems for my Impala. I bought the car from him and he had big dreams of making a clone SS 67. The closest he got was the SS black leather bucket seats, and rear bench. Anyway I'll ask if he still has them the next time I talk to him.

Oh yeah, you know the first car I almost bought for myself was a 1962 Chevy II Nova. Man that car was awesome. I saved up for 6 months and then the guy backed out, said his wife wouldn't let him sell it. :-[ I ended up buying a 77 Chevy short bed pick up that was stolen and stripped a year after I bought it. :,-(
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:21 pm

1989 Pontiac LeMans...damn.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:12 pm

Azrael wrote:1989 Pontiac LeMans...damn.

:-D

(You don't see many of those around anymore).
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Okay, so it's technically my fifth car, but it IS the first car I ever bought because it was the car I really wanted.

1st - '90 Nissan Sentra (in 97) - great first car, drove it through two transmissions. Butt-ugly little car, but it was mine.
2nd - '97 (I think) - got it in '00 - Chrysler Cirrus - nice V6, lots of power compared to the Sentra, luxury-like sedan. Leased for 3 years, got stolen in second year while I was away getting married. Suspect it was done by unsavory acquaintances of my downstairs neighbours who knew we were out of town for two weeks and therefore would have two weeks to dispose of vehicle.
3rd - '99 Jimmy 2-dr - leased for two years in '02 - only able to afford the lease thanks to Replacement Value insurance from the dealer on the Cirrus.
4rth - '04 Dodge SX2.0 (aka Neon) in 04 - leased for 42 months, bought the piece of crap at the end (May 08) because due to my mileage surcharge and body damage was going to cost almost as much to give it back to the dealer anyway.

All those led up to my Charger R/T. Bought her last year, will be paying for her for way too long thanks to some abominable credit scores thanks to some poor decisions/lack of discipline in my past, but she's my dream car - or at least my dream-yet-attainable-car. 5.7L V8 power, leather and suede interior, newly upgraded sound system. Performance brakes system is on the agenda for end of this summer/beginning of next (I store her in the winter - no need to submit her to the hell of winter roads here when I have the SX - short for Sh*tboX yet fully functional) with snazzy new rims forecast for summer 2011 (dealer had just put on brand new tires when I bought her so only 6k miles on them now so no point in new rims until tires are needed IMO)
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk