Your First Car. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Your First Car.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Your First Car.

Postby Guru13 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:56 pm

lmcjaho wrote:Image

Okay, so it's technically my fifth car, but it IS the first car I ever bought because it was the car I really wanted.

1st - '90 Nissan Sentra (in 97) - great first car, drove it through two transmissions. Butt-ugly little car, but it was mine.
2nd - '97 (I think) - got it in '00 - Chrysler Cirrus - nice V6, lots of power compared to the Sentra, luxury-like sedan. Leased for 3 years, got stolen in second year while I was away getting married. Suspect it was done by unsavory acquaintances of my downstairs neighbours who knew we were out of town for two weeks and therefore would have two weeks to dispose of vehicle.
3rd - '99 Jimmy 2-dr - leased for two years in '02 - only able to afford the lease thanks to Replacement Value insurance from the dealer on the Cirrus.
4rth - '04 Dodge SX2.0 (aka Neon) in 04 - leased for 42 months, bought the piece of crap at the end (May 08) because due to my mileage surcharge and body damage was going to cost almost as much to give it back to the dealer anyway.

All those led up to my Charger R/T. Bought her last year, will be paying for her for way too long thanks to some abominable credit scores thanks to some poor decisions/lack of discipline in my past, but she's my dream car - or at least my dream-yet-attainable-car. 5.7L V8 power, leather and suede interior, newly upgraded sound system. Performance brakes system is on the agenda for end of this summer/beginning of next (I store her in the winter - no need to submit her to the hell of winter roads here when I have the SX - short for Sh*tboX yet fully functional) with snazzy new rims forecast for summer 2011 (dealer had just put on brand new tires when I bought her so only 6k miles on them now so no point in new rims until tires are needed IMO)

Thank you for buying the V8, you would have been a shmoe otherwise. ;-D :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:03 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:

Okay, so it's technically my fifth car, but it IS the first car I ever bought because it was the car I really wanted.

1st - '90 Nissan Sentra (in 97) - great first car, drove it through two transmissions. Butt-ugly little car, but it was mine.
2nd - '97 (I think) - got it in '00 - Chrysler Cirrus - nice V6, lots of power compared to the Sentra, luxury-like sedan. Leased for 3 years, got stolen in second year while I was away getting married. Suspect it was done by unsavory acquaintances of my downstairs neighbours who knew we were out of town for two weeks and therefore would have two weeks to dispose of vehicle.
3rd - '99 Jimmy 2-dr - leased for two years in '02 - only able to afford the lease thanks to Replacement Value insurance from the dealer on the Cirrus.
4rth - '04 Dodge SX2.0 (aka Neon) in 04 - leased for 42 months, bought the piece of crap at the end (May 08) because due to my mileage surcharge and body damage was going to cost almost as much to give it back to the dealer anyway.

All those led up to my Charger R/T. Bought her last year, will be paying for her for way too long thanks to some abominable credit scores thanks to some poor decisions/lack of discipline in my past, but she's my dream car - or at least my dream-yet-attainable-car. 5.7L V8 power, leather and suede interior, newly upgraded sound system. Performance brakes system is on the agenda for end of this summer/beginning of next (I store her in the winter - no need to submit her to the hell of winter roads here when I have the SX - short for Sh*tboX yet fully functional) with snazzy new rims forecast for summer 2011 (dealer had just put on brand new tires when I bought her so only 6k miles on them now so no point in new rims until tires are needed IMO)

How funny. I'm on vacation renting a Charger with a V-6... and it BLOWS! Totally gutless, but looks cool. ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guru13 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:

How funny. I'm on vacation renting a Charger with a V-6... and it BLOWS! Totally gutless, but looks cool. ;-)

It definitely still looks cool...you're just a shmoe. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 am

Nfl Fan wrote:How funny. I'm on vacation renting a Charger with a V-6... and it BLOWS! Totally gutless, but looks cool. ;-)

It definitely still looks cool...you're just a shmoe. :-b

Ooh.. ba-da-bing. !+) :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:41 am

My first car was a 1984 Cadillac Seville similar to this one:
Pimpin' since been pimpin'.
I totalled it and got a '95 Isuzu pick-up, which I only had for about a year before the engine blew on it, then I got an '84 Honda Prelude. That Prelude was a great little car, everything that could possibly be broken on a vehicle without it actually affecting how it ran was wrong with that car. I traded it for a mountain bike in 2003. Actually, I technically traded it for $500 worth of free labor from a roofer who was putting a roof on my parents' house, then they gave me $500 to put toward a bike. Then I got an '85 Mazda RX7 for free from an uncle. That was a fun car, but a money pit...after putting about $3,500 into it in less than six months I sold it for $500 when the clutch went out. Then I bought a '95 Dodge Dakota pick-up, which I still have. It had about 95,000 miles on it when I got it, now it's up to about 160,000, and all I've ever had to do on it is replace the water pump (other than routine stuff). It's been a great little pick-up for me. I'll probably drive it until it costs more to keep running than it would to buy something else.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 am

1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. First thing I did was buy it rims. Second thing I did for it was crash on my drive to school.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:01 pm

The new Chargers don't impress me much, but that's an excellent paint scheme, I must say. Glad to see you got the R/T. ;-D

Personally, if I were to buy one of those nifty retro modern American muscle cars, I'd wait for a Camaro SS. I do like the new Dodge Challenger though. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:19 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:The new Chargers don't impress me much, but that's an excellent paint scheme, I must say. Glad to see you got the R/T. ;-D

With the glare in the pic you almost can't see it but there is also a silver stripe along the top of the rear fender (following the shape of the fender) that has "Daytona" in blue. The hood and that stripe make for just the right amount of accent to the solid blue IMO. If (or when) I get around to getting a spoiler I will probably have it done in the silver - they don't make them in the blue so it would need to be painted anyway and I'll probably use it to complete the two-tone feel...

I'd take umbrage at the don't impress me much comment but you're a soccer fan so your tastes are obviously a little off ;-7

The Artful Dodger wrote:Personally, if I were to buy one of those nifty retro modern American muscle cars, I'd wait for a Camaro SS. I do like the new Dodge Challenger though. ;-D

I like the look of the Camaro SS too, and the Challenger is definitely a sweet ride - but since they're both new (and/or not even out yet) the price tag is (and will be for some time) way too high to consider IMO.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:How funny. I'm on vacation renting a Charger with a V-6... and it BLOWS! Totally gutless, but looks cool. ;-)

If it's a rental it's probably even worse - the "fleet" model of the V6 is a (vastly underpowered if you ask me) 2.7L V6. When I first was looking at the Charger I test drove the 3.5L V6 and it was a decent car, but putting a 2.7L in a car that size is almost criminal...

I ended up with the Hemi after I made the mistake of test-driving one - once I did that there was no way to go back and buy a 3.5L V6 instead :-L
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:09 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I do like the new Dodge Challenger though. ;-D

I've noticed a lot more on the road lately and I like them more and more. Haven't been up close yet. How do they sound? :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk