Jets interested in Sanchez

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets interested in Sanchez

Postby stomperrob » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:49 am

Jets to look at former USC QB Mark Sanchez in private workout
BY Rich Cimini
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Friday, March 6th 2009, 11:15 PM

The Jets, perhaps in the market for a quarterback of the future, have scheduled a private workout with USC's Mark Sanchez, according to the Los Angeles Daily News. The workout will occur before his April 1 pro day.

Sanchez is generally regarded as the second-best quarterback prospect in the April draft, behind Georgia's Matthew Stafford. The Jets are picking 17th overall, and there's a chance Sanchez could be available.

Currently, the Jets have a wide-open quarterback competition between Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge, all of whom carry question marks.

The Colts also have arranged a private workout with Sanchez, who started only 16 games in his college career and turned pro against the advice of coach Pete Carroll.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... sanch.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jets interested in Sanchez

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:33 pm

I want Sanchez. End of story.
Somehow get a WR before the season starts and get Sanchez in the draft. Go Green!
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:43 pm

Believing in Ratliff and Clemens: The Jets Seem Serious
By Toni Monkovic
April 7, 2009, 7:55 am

1) The Raiders will sign Jeff Garcia. Scratch him off the list. And Byron Leftwich could join the Redskins.
2) The Jets, it turns out, weren’t serious players for Jay Cutler.
3) Drafting a quarterback this year and expecting him to lead the Jets to playoff success seems unrealistic.

Meanwhile, Rex Ryan has said repeatedly that he’s comfortable with Brett Ratliff or Kellen Clemens as his starting quarterback.

What more evidence will it take for everyone to start believing him? Agreeing with him is a different story.

Mike Golic, half of the “Mike and Mike” radio show on ESPN Radio, has been saying that going with Ratliff/Clemens would be a football crime on par with the Vikings’ entrusting the season to Tarvaris Jackson last season.

The argument by Golic and others goes like this:

The Jets will have a good defense, a good running game and a good offensive line. They will have the pieces in place to make a run at a Super Bowl, except for perhaps the most important one: a proven quarterback.

A headline in The Boston Herald: Good Sign, Patriots: Rex Ryan Likes Jets Quarterbacks

Extra point: It’s the question that will dominate the off-season, so it’s time to stake out positions. Would the Jets be making a mistake if they stood pat with Clemens and Ratliff?

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... rent-they/
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:42 pm

Apparently half the league now wants Sanchez. I can't imagine this guy getting out of the top 15, maybe even the top 10.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:37 pm

bungle613 wrote:Apparently half the league now wants Sanchez. I can't imagine this guy getting out of the top 15, maybe even the top 10.

I agree, no way he last until mid teens, if somebody wants Sanchez they will have to trade up to #8 or 9 to land him, that's IF he's still on the board at that point...The Seahawks and Browns have expressed interest as well.

If he can somehow land up in Denver, Sanchez would be my #1 QB.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cupertino_11 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:07 am

Ditto the above statements. With all the publicity Sanchez has been getting as of late and some endorsements that he is more NFL ready than Stafford, no chance he lasts til the Jets at #17.

As far as Denver getting Sanchez, they did release their third string QB a couple of days ago, so there's a spot open, but I don't think they'd package their #1's to trade up to say #4 or #5 just to get him. If he falls to #12.....maybe.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:14 am

JETS SHOULD TRADE UP FOR USC QB
Last updated: 1:06 pm
April 15, 2009
Posted: 3:25 am
April 15, 2009
by Steve Serby

JETS GM Mike Tannenbaum made a bold move when he traded for Brett Favre last August and now he needs to make another one. Tannenbaum cannot sit still with the 17th pick of the NFL Draft on April 25 and wait for his franchise quarterback to fall in his lap. Trader Mike needs to go up and get Southern Cal quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Sanchez has the charisma, temperament, leadership skills, accuracy and enough arm to have Rex Ryan and Jets fans hardly sold on Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff shouting Viva Sanchez!

Former Ravens quarterback Trent Dilfer rates Sanchez ahead of Georgia QB Matthew Stafford, the expected first overall pick by the Lions. Some compare Sanchez to Matt Ryan; others label him a cross between Aaron Rodgers and Chad Pennington.

"I'm poised under pressure -- the big games have been my best games," Sanchez said yesterday at a promotional appearance for Sprint at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. "I've handled the media the last four years in L.A. in a pretty large media market. New York's obviously bigger, but similar -- similar expectations from the quarterback, they want to win, losing seasons aren't OK, and I'm ready for that."

Ben Roethlisberger-esque QB Josh Freeman (Kansas State) is an intriguing option, but Sanchez is the better one.

"I just think they [Jets] were excited about the way I was upbeat about all the interviews. I was going through the stuff on the board like I knew it for a while. I was comfortable in that setting . . . it was the first workout I've ever been put through by a pro team -- I nailed it. I felt really good about it," Sanchez said.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.nypost.com/seven/04152009/sp ... 164534.htm
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:43 am

Kellen Clemens Jets ahead in quarterback race
BY Rich Cimini
DAILY NEWS WRITER
Friday, April 17th 2009, 7:59 PM

The winner of Round 1 in the Jets' quarterback competition: Kellen Clemens.

After two days and four minicamp practices, Clemens has separated himself from Brett Ratliff, earning praise from coach Rex Ryan and giving the organization a reason to feel better about the quarterback situation as it prepares for next weekend's draft.

"I thought he looked outstanding," Ryan said yesterday after the morning practice in Florham Park, N.J. "He did decent the first day, but I really like how he took charge of the offense and really brought that unit out. They had a lot of spark. He made good decisions and showed poise."

The non-mandatory minicamp, which concludes today, is merely the first stage in a long competition that won't be decided until late August or early September. It will get real interesting if the Jets, trying to find a replacement for the retired Brett Favre, invest a first-round pick in USC's Mark Sanchez or Kansas State's Josh Freeman.

Joey Clinkscales, the Jets' vice president of college scouting, spoke highly yesterday of Sanchez and Freeman, going so far as to say Sanchez was "really special" in his only full season as a starter for the Trojans. Publicly, the Jets have stood behind the three quarterbacks on their roster (Erik Ainge is skipping the minicamp for personal reasons), and Clemens responded positively to the quasi-vote of confidence.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... _race.html
stomperrob

Return to Football Talk