The Youth of America is a lost cause... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Youth of America is a lost cause...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The Youth of America is a lost cause...

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:poor ACS :-b

Apparently there is something over there that us football purists don't want to venture over and discover for ourselves? :-S :-b

ACS is a DarkSider who used to frequent (and by frequent I mean something like 40 posts a day) GT. Got banned for some reason or another from GT only. He's a good guy. I'm in a league with him and still hit him up over email with some computer questions.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:02 pm

My generation gave you Nirvana and Pearl Jam.... I'm sorry. :-/
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:04 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:My generation gave you Nirvana and Pearl Jam.... I'm sorry. :-/

Mine gave you Boston, etc. ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:09 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:The youth of every nation is always a lost cause.

Not my generation (the 60's) - all we wanted was peace & love!

C'mon people now
Smile on your brother
Ev'rybody get together
Try to love one another right now

;-) :-D

and that is the reason a lot of us are here today 8-o
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby RiffRaff » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:22 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:The youth of every nation is always a lost cause.

Not my generation (the 60's) - all we wanted was peace & love!

I sure hope they had wet ones then cause I'm not liking the idea of dry towels. :-o
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:30 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:heeeyyy, woohh sir. I happen to like punk rock. ;-)

Case... closed.

:-b ;-)

oh - bah dum bump. Ouch. :-b

:-D

Didn't sting too bad, I hope. ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:14 pm

lmcjaho wrote:On soccer:

I always just refer to it as "that boring third world country sport" anytime some enthusiast pipes up about it being "the most popular sport in the world" and then proceed to inform them that it's only remotely possible to refer to it as that because it's the only damn sport in half those aforementioned third world countries since all you need is a ball and space to play it... Usually at this point one (or more) of them will make some comment about it being so popular in Europe and I will proudly announce "I rest my case" and watch their eyeballs try to pop out of their heads. (Especially useful against Italians and Greeks BTW) :-b

Last time I checked Catalunya is not a third-world country. Italy, yes. Spain, maybe, but not Catalunya and definitely not Barcelona. B-)

My general opinion about Americans typically disliking soccer is it's both a fair and unfair assessment. The only soccer America is exposed to is the World Cup, namely because of the worldwide scale of the competition. By the same token, the World Cup is marred by a lot of rubbish soccer. There's a lot of holding, not too much going forward, and everyone's playing for a result with the short lead because it's a tournament (so as to not expend as little energy as possible). The last one in '06 had so much diving and bad fouls, in particular. What's more is, even if your country picks the very best selection, odds are the players aren't used to playing on the same team as each other. Think of it like USA basketball's dream team for the Olympics in the adjustments needed for Kobe, Wade, and Lebron to play on the same floor. The learning curve to make such adjustments is steeper in soccer because timing is more important than individual play to make something happen. Put it all together and you're not likely to see a very smooth game. Now, if I were judging the sport for the very first time, I'd believe soccer absolutely sucks. Add that experience to the prevailing stereotype that soccer is boring and you're likely not going to watch it until inevitably the next World Cup pops around where America once again checks the game out of curiosity.

By the same token, it's unfair to rule out soccer being boring when the World Cup is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm a club over country man myself and I'll say the leagues are far more important and better to watch. For example, if you see the Premiership (England) and La Liga (Spain), the game moves at a more fluid, breakneck pace, and often times, a number of the teams are intent on attacking than just sitting back and soaking up pressure. The World Cup or international soccer doesn't hold a candle to the quality of the leagues or in the continental competitions (UEFA Champions League, Copa Libertadores). Not all teams play boring soccer and I'm glad to say Barcelona and Manchester United have the attacking style down to a T. It also helps if you travel abroad during the highlights of the soccer season. I've had friends who didn't know what this other football was until they sat down in a crowded bar somewhere in England or Spain, showing the local team's games. They love the fan passion and atmosphere, and some become fans of a sport they never envisioned ever watching.

As for soccer being a "third-world" sport...the reason why it's a national sport in the poorer countries is because it was an imported game that's taken hold for many decades. For example, Argentina has the 2nd-oldest professional soccer league, second to England because many European immigrants imported the game when they settled there, especially Italians (why do you think many Argentinians have Italian-sounding surnames). Such was the case in Brazil, Mexico, and India (though cricket is by and large more popular there than soccer).
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:23 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:My generation gave you Nirvana and Pearl Jam.... I'm sorry. :-/

Offset by Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:45 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:

Offset by Alice in Chains

True.

The Artful Dodger wrote:and Soundgarden.

:-P
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bungle613 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:49 pm

1) All you really need is a ball and a space to play either version of "football"

2) There ain't a damn thing wrong with Pearl Jam. (EDIT - Well, at least not in the first 8-10 years)

3) We can also lay claim to the origins of East coast and West coast rap with Dre, Snoop, Tupac and Biggie starting in our generation among others.

4) You should see the youth of Canada!
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk