High School Bans "Unsportsmanlike" Cheers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

High School Bans "Unsportsmanlike" Cheers

Moderator: Football Moderators

High School Bans "Unsportsmanlike" Cheers

Postby joejlitz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:46 pm

What is the world coming to? Seriously. Not being able to shout "airball?"

School cracks down on
cheers
Updated: Friday, 06 Mar 2009, 8:33 AM CST
Published : Friday, 06 Mar 2009, 8:30 AM CST

...Fall is talking about the age-old cheers that fans have been shouting at Ashland ballgames for years. But now, some favorite cheers are forbidden...

"You can't turn your backs, you can't single out an opponent, you can't single out a team, you can't say anything negative," Olson said.

That includes using phrases like "sieve", "what's the score", "overrated", "airball," and singing "nah, nah, nah, nah, hey-hey-hey good bye".

The rules also forbid booing an official's call, waving arms or screaming during a foul shot in order to distract the attention of opponents, and throwing any object. During a recent Ashland basketball game, some students pushed the envelope...

Rest of Article: High School Bans Unsportsmanlike Cheers
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: High School Bans "Unsportsmanlike" Cheers

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 pm

"Sportsmanship" is a subjective term based on opinion, not hardened-fast precepts. What is "sportsmanlike" to one person or group may not be to another. Rules like this are bound to be broken.

Big Brother, apparently, has many forms. :-°
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:03 pm

They've done a lot of the same stuff at my HS, albeit not quite to that degree. I don't like it either.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:22 pm

This way nobody gets hurt. And better yet, it prepares them for the real world.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:This way nobody gets hurt. And better yet, it prepares them for the real world.

I was thinking that, too. I get a lot of calls from people of all ages for whom the real world is a smack in the face.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:50 pm

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:This way nobody gets hurt. And better yet, it prepares them for the real world.

I was thinking that, too. I get a lot of calls from people of all ages for whom the real world is a smack in the face.

The real world is a jerk sometimes. :-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Big fat meanie is what the real world is.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joejlitz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:I was thinking that, too. I get a lot of calls from people of all ages for whom the real world is a smack in the face.

Big fat meanie is what the real world is.

I didn't vote for it, either.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:14 pm

joejlitz wrote:What is the world coming to? Seriously. Not being able to shout "airball?"

That would be insane.

My alma mater had a fan's code of conduct where you couldn't jeer anything against the opposition, but you could get away with a few "airball" chants. Besides, chanting in American sports is extremely tame compared to what you hear abroad.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
What is the point of posts like this? Everyone on this board has an opinion and we all express them differently. People are different and obviously not everyone can get along, but like them or not, opinions hold value even if you disagree with them vehemently. Comments like this: "HA, YOU WERE WRONG", add zero value and I personally find them offensive. If this kind of weak crap is all you are going to add, why even post it? To prove that you are superior to someone you don't like?

Maybe it feels good to rub someone's face in it when you don't care for their personality, but for me that is just wasted space on a messageboard that I come to for information and debate.

You didn't spearhead this initiative, did you?
No Smack Talk or Booing at Wisconsin High School Sporting Events

If you don't like your team or the opposing team enough to be respectful, don't go to the game. If you want to reserve the right to boo, just save your money and your time and vote with your feet and wallet. Don't come to the game. Don't play in it. This is the type of BS that is wrong in America today. Too many kids get away with acting like punks and never learn about honor or the meaning of the word respect.

At the high school level, the trash talk mentality should not be encouraged or allowed. It's a pretty simple philsophy, children need rules in place or they are going to misbehave. You see this of attitude a lot today in predominantly black cultures where it has become cool for young people to be ignorant and even racist. When you talk trash and act inappropriately at a high school sporting event, you just make yourself look like an idiot and the people around you that actually enjoy watching the game are gonna get pissed off. Worse yet, your bad behavior is going to be accepted by your peers and it will become the norm taking away from the real purpose behind the event: fun and honest competition.

This is like paying $10 to go to a movie theater to watch a movie, and then have a 30 minute cell phone conversation while the movie is playing. It something an idiot has no problem doing and it pisses off the people who care about the movie. Same thing with pointing fingers at someone on an internet messageboard because they made a bad prediction. If no one made predictions or gave their opinions anymore, what would this board be? Just a collection of news stories.

If you don't mind, let's move that discussion to here: High School Sportsmanship Discussion
Picking up where Kensat left off in an earlier thread.

I disagree.
If you don't like your team or the opposing team enough to be respectful, don't go to the game. If you want to reserve the right to boo, just save your money and your time and vote with your feet and wallet. Don't come to the game. Don't play in it. This is the type of BS that is wrong in America today. Too many kids get away with acting like punks and never learn about honor or the meaning of the word respect.

If you're just talking about the HS and collegiate level, I guess I agree. Kid-players don't need to be yelled at by adults. As an adult, if I go to a pro game and want to boo, that's what I am going to do. That's part of how I enjoy the game and that's what I pay my money to do.
If you're talking about kids paying to go to HS games, I disagree. Kids are kids. They are competitive against each other. They and their schools have rivalries. Why shouldn't they be allowed to talk smack? I don't think that yelling out "Scoreboard!" or turning their backs while their opponents shoot freethrows describes children being "punks." Now if they were chanting "A$$hole! A$$hole!" or being racially insensitive, that's another story. There should be no place for that in HS sports.

At the high school level, the trash talk mentality should not be encouraged or allowed. It's a pretty simple philsophy, children need rules in place or they are going to misbehave. You see this of attitude a lot today in predominantly black cultures where it has become cool for young people to be ignorant and even racist. When you talk trash and act inappropriately at a high school sporting event, you just make yourself look like an idiot and the people around you that actually enjoy watching the game are gonna get pissed off. Worse yet, your bad behavior is going to be accepted by your peers and it will become the norm taking away from the real purpose behind the event: fun and honest competition.

I don't consider this type of thing as "misbehavior." Kids do lots of stuff that makes them look like idiots. That's the way kids are. But we let them be kids and they learn from it. Some days they get to yell "Scoreboard" and others they have to yell out "SAT" because their team really stinks. It can be a humbling experience and a life lesson.
As for the "fun and honest competition" remark, I could be wrong, but I didn't think you were one of those posters who supports participation trophies (from reading other threads). I think sports should be fun and honest and I think sportsmanship is VERY important. But I think that most kids know where to draw the line with smack talk before it escalates into something physical. And I think a lot of schools have security guards and/or teachers who are on the look out for things like that.

This is like paying $10 to go to a movie theater to watch a movie, and then have a 30 minute cell phone conversation while the movie is playing. It something an idiot has no problem doing and it pisses off the people who care about the movie. Same thing with pointing fingers at someone on an internet messageboard because they made a bad prediction. If no one made predictions or gave their opinions anymore, what would this board be? Just a collection of news stories.

As an adult, I feel like a guest at a HS sporting event. The game is for the kids who play and the kids who go there. It is their atmosphere. I shouldn't have high expectations on what the atmosphere should be, so I'm not in total agreement with your movie theater analogy. Plus, at sporting events, people yell and cheer and make a lot of noise. As long as it doesn't cross the line of racism, profanity, or other globally offensive-type remarks, I think it should be allowed.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk