Donte Stallworth killed a pedestrian - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Donte Stallworth killed a pedestrian

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Donte Stallworth killed a pedestrian

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:14 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
Ablack86 wrote:I don't think this really helps his case. He was still over the limit and is still responcible for NOT hitting pedestrians. Also, I still have not heard..... did he drive off or did he wait for police?

Problem with the speeding thing is that unless they can prove beyond a doubt that Stallworth would've been able to stop in time had he been going the legal speed limit, that won't amount to anything more than a routine speeding ticket. I did hear something about the police attributing the accident partially to reckless driving, so he could still get charged if they decide that led to the accident.

As for responsibility for hitting pedestrians, fact is if Stallworth did everything he could to prevent the accident (which we can't conclude either way), the final fault lies with the pedestrian for not crossing at a crosswalk on a road with a 40 mph speed limit.

And if Stallworth had fled the scene, we definitely would've heard about it by now; the media would jump on that immediately.

Even if the pedestrian is found to be at fault, if Stallworth was operating a vehicle while impaired he can still be be charged, it will just be a mitigatig factor in his favor. Keep in mind also though that as alcohol slows down a driver's reaction time they could decide the alcohol was a contributing factor even if the pedestrian was in the wrong (ie: would a sober driver have been able to have stopped in time).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:18 pm

stomperrob wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:
Ablack86 wrote:I don't think this really helps his case. He was still over the limit and is still responcible for NOT hitting pedestrians. Also, I still have not heard..... did he drive off or did he wait for police?

Problem with the speeding thing is that unless they can prove beyond a doubt that Stallworth would've been able to stop in time had he been going the legal speed limit, that won't amount to anything more than a routine speeding ticket. I did hear something about the police attributing the accident partially to reckless driving, so he could still get charged if they decide that led to the accident.

As for responsibility for hitting pedestrians, fact is if Stallworth did everything he could to prevent the accident (which we can't conclude either way), the final fault lies with the pedestrian for not crossing at a crosswalk on a road with a 40 mph speed limit.

And if Stallworth had fled the scene, we definitely would've heard about it by now; the media would jump on that immediately.

Even if the pedestrian is found to be at fault, if Stallworth was operating a vehicle while impaired he can still be be charged, it will just be a mitigatig factor in his favor. Keep in mind also though that as alcohol slows down a driver's reaction time they could decide the alcohol was a contributing factor even if the pedestrian was in the wrong (ie: would a sober driver have been able to have stopped in time).

All of what I said is assuming Stallworth wasn't driving drunk, which we can't say one way or another until the police release the blood test results and/or file charges.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:36 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:

All of what I said is assuming Stallworth wasn't driving drunk, which we can't say one way or another until the police release the blood test results and/or file charges.

Okay, gotcha. I was going on the assumption he was impaired given the reported 0.12 reading (albeit unsubstantiated), although I did say if he was impaired in my statement.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Stallworthless now says he flashed his brights on the ped. As if that is going to help him when accused of speeding while impaired.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby dmacblue » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Stallworthless now says he flashed his brights on the ped. As if that is going to help him when accused of speeding while impaired.

i think making that statement makes it worth for him actually. It shows he SAW the guy in the road, flashed a warning but continued speeding towards him regardless, eventually hitting him. :-t

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:39 pm

dmacblue wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Stallworthless now says he flashed his brights on the ped. As if that is going to help him when accused of speeding while impaired.

i think making that statement makes it worth for him actually. It shows he SAW the guy in the road, flashed a warning but continued speeding towards him regardless, eventually hitting him. :-t

Unless he flashed his high beams while breaking in an attempt to stop. Nah, what idiot would do that? ;-7

I'm not in any way defending Stallworth, and the police report (especially the diagram of the incident) leads me to believe that he's at fault, but to come to that conclusion based on the information we have to work with is absurd.

BTW, a link to the report is in this article.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dmacblue » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:47 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
dmacblue wrote:

Unless he flashed his high beams while breaking in an attempt to stop. Nah, what idiot would do that?
;-7

I'm not in any way defending Stallworth, and the police report (especially the diagram of the incident) leads me to believe that he's at fault, but to come to that conclusion based on the information we have to work with is absurd.

BTW, a link to the report is in this article.

Id be more inclined to slam on the horn rather than flash the main beams. very odd. :-?

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby TheDiplomats » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:48 am

If the guy wasn't in a crosswalk, then I don't see Stallworth doing any jailtime. The precedent here is that you can literally drive into someone else and kill them and still get away with 4-5 years of probation and a ton of community service so long as you are an NFL player.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ChipaDub » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Police formally charged Donte' Stallworth with DUI manslaughter Wednesday after a March incident in which Stallworth hit and killed 59-year-old pedestrian Mario Reyes in his Bentley on Miami Beach.
Stallworth will be freed after surrendering Thursday and paying a $200K bond. Police revealed that Stallworth's blood-alcohol content was 0.126 at the time of the crime. The Florida limit is .08. Stallworth is very unlikely to play in the NFL in 2009, and we may not see him in the league again. Apr. 1 - 4:33 pm et
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... harge.html

You'd think he'd have come out and made a statement by now.
ChipaDub Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:27 pm

ChipaDub wrote:
Police formally charged Donte' Stallworth with DUI manslaughter Wednesday after a March incident in which Stallworth hit and killed 59-year-old pedestrian Mario Reyes in his Bentley on Miami Beach.
Stallworth will be freed after surrendering Thursday and paying a $200K bond. Police revealed that Stallworth's blood-alcohol content was 0.126 at the time of the crime. The Florida limit is .08. Stallworth is very unlikely to play in the NFL in 2009, and we may not see him in the league again. Apr. 1 - 4:33 pm et
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... harge.html

You'd think he'd have come out and made a statement by now.

He did in the days following the incident, and the warrant just got issued today; he and his lawyer are probably figuring out what to say, if anything.
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk