Ever get an e-mail fom someone who is dead??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Ever get an e-mail fom someone who is dead???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ever get an e-mail fom someone who is dead???

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:28 am

Well, in the near future ya might...

Death leaves online lives in limbo; leaving instructions helps survivors
By Peter Svensson, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

...David Eagleman, a neuroscientist at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, has had plenty of time to think about the issue.

"I work in the world's largest medical centre, and what you see here every day is people showing up in ambulances who didn't expect that just five minutes earlier," he said. "If you suddenly die or go into a coma, there can be a lot of things that are only in your head in terms of where things are stored, where your passwords are."

He set up a site called Deathswitch, where people can set up emails that will be sent out automatically if they don't check in at intervals they specify, like once a week. For $20 per year, members can create up to 30 emails with attachments like video files.

It's not really a profit-making venture, and Eagleman isn't sure about how many members it has - "probably close to a thousand." Nor does he know what's in the emails that have been created. Until they're sent out, they're encrypted so that only their creators can read them.

If Deathswitch sounds morbid, there's an alternative site: Slightly Morbid. It also sends email when a member dies, but doesn't rely on them logging in periodically while they're alive. Instead, members have to give trusted friends or family the information needed to log in to the site and start the notification process if something should happen.

The site was created by Mike and Pamela Potter in Colorado Springs, Colo. They also run a business that makes software for online games. Pamela said they realized the need for a service like this when one of their online friends, who had volunteered a lot of time helping their customers on a web message board, suddenly disappeared.

con't...

rest of article: http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-re ... _survivors
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ever get an e-mail fom someone who is dead???

Postby dream_017 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:24 pm

It is some weird stuff. I just read recently, that many people are putting password information into wills for use once someone passes away.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Metroid » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:59 pm

dream_017 wrote:It is some weird stuff. I just read recently, that many people are putting password information into wills for use once someone passes away.

That really makes a lot of sense. I know my dad talked with a lot of people via email that I didn't know, he didn't leave his password laying around so I couldn't check his mail. I guess they just sorta figured it out. :-/
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:50 pm

Metroid wrote:
dream_017 wrote:It is some weird stuff. I just read recently, that many people are putting password information into wills for use once someone passes away.

That really makes a lot of sense. I know my dad talked with a lot of people via email that I didn't know, he didn't leave his password laying around so I couldn't check his mail. I guess they just sorta figured it out. :-/

Yeh, it is a good idea - I've thought about it in the past, the people I e-mail and a couple sites I frequent. ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:12 am

So much sensitive stuff is only stored in people's heads, so a website/plan like that doesn't seem like a bad idea at all to me. Of course there runs the chance of abuse by attention seekers (people claiming to be dead who really aren't) and possibly hackers (virus, trojan, etc, since some of those mails will have attachments that have to be downloaded), but if those things can be kept to a minimum, I could see most people setting up something like this. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to General Talk