Top 25 things vanishing from America - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Top 25 things vanishing from America

Moderator: Football Moderators

Top 25 things vanishing from America

Postby bungle613 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:20 am

http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-2 ... om-america

It's a fairly interesting read. A good way to zone out for a bit if needed.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Top 25 things vanishing from America

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:42 am

The most frightening thing on that list is honey bees. :-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:00 pm

If some of those things take even close to the Toilet and Milkman, then we have plenty of time left ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby m16a » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Landline, yellow pages, personal checks, magazines, answering machines, VCR's, classifieds (newspapers really), and radios are ALL still a part of my household! ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joejlitz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:09 pm

This one would be a travesty. Next thing, there will be no more Old Bay Seasoning.

19. Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs
Maryland's icon, the blue crab, has been fading away in Chesapeake Bay. In 2007, Maryland saw the lowest harvest (22 million pounds) since 1945. Just four decades ago the bay produced 96 million pounds. The population is down 70% since 1990, when they first did a formal count. There are only about 120 million crabs in the bay and they think they need 200 million for a sustainable population. Overfishing, pollution, invasive species and global warming get the blame.

This is even worse. Thank you for our litigious society. Thank you to individuals failing to accept responsibilty for themselves. :-[

15. The Swimming Hole
Thanks to our litigious society, swimming holes are becoming a thing of the past. '20/20' reports that swimming hole owners, like Robert Every in High Falls, N.Y., are shutting them down out of worry that if someone gets hurt they'll sue. And that's exactly what happened in Seattle. The city of Bellingham was sued by Katie Hofstetter who was paralyzed in a fall at a popular swimming hole in Whatcom Falls Park. As injuries occur and lawsuits follow, expect more swimming holes to post "Keep out!" signs.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:26 pm

3. News Magazines and TV News
While the TV evening newscasts haven't gone anywhere over the last several decades, their audiences have. In 1984, in a story about the diminishing returns of the evening news, the New York Times reported that all three network evening-news programs combined had only 40.9 million viewers. Fast forward to 2008, and what they have today is half that.

This is by far the most catastrophic (mgazines that is) - going to the bathroom will become a boring and mundane event!
;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Metroid wrote:The most frightening thing on that list is honey bees. :-o

I never would've expected honeybees. The silver lining is the expected killer bee migration into Southern California has really been tempered. I remember about 10 years ago, there were scary news projections about a massive killer bee migration from the Arizona and/or Mexican borders.

I'm somewhat weird for paying all things off with either a personal check or card. I only use credit cards when paying through the Internet or any big-ticket items I feel like paying off month by month, but that's once in a blue moon. I haven't touched my debit card since I ever got it. To this day, I still like using checks.

My parents still use landline phones and answering machines; they only used cell phones a few years ago. If my dad didn't have such a soccer addiction, I'm pretty sure they would've ditched digital cable and stuck to strictly analog-to-digital UHF/VHF channels. They're heading into or already in their senior years and so I understand they don't feel like they need to be technologically up-to-date.

Personally on the point of #3 about news magazines, since the advent of the Internet, I've rarely bought Playboy/SI Swimsuit/Maxim/FHM just because they take up dust and space after a while. It's a novelty that I'll fork up a bit on the Brit lads' magazines like Nuts, Zoo, and Front, but that's a once-in-2 month thing at best.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to General Talk