Hot Dog Celebrations in the NHL - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Hot Dog Celebrations in the NHL

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hot Dog Celebrations in the NHL

Postby joejlitz » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:29 am

I haven't watched hockey in about 4 years, but I'd always loved the blue collar ethic and the genuine emotion that poured out during the game. But I think I just saw Alex Ovechkin (?) score a goal and use his stick as a prop, pretending it was too hot to pick up. Basically hot dogging after he scored.

Anyone else see this? Thoughts? I'm not surprised that it finally crossed over to the NHL, but I can't say I'm pleased. But - I guess it could have been going on for the last four years and I just didn't know it.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hot Dog Celebrations in the NHL

Postby dream_017 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:56 am

dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:13 am

I thought it was hilarious. It was his 50th goal of the year, so its not like he pulls something like that out everytime. Something about Ovechkin just cracks me up. He has some of the best interviews in sports.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:33 am

I don't mind it at all. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby joejlitz » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:30 am

portisfan24 wrote:I thought it was hilarious. It was his 50th goal of the year, so its not like he pulls something like that out everytime. Something about Ovechkin just cracks me up. He has some of the best interviews in sports.

That's ok, I guess. I didn't know it was a one-time deal. Still, in the old NHL, that guy would have been pummelled rightously.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:57 pm

How long ago do you consider the old NHL?

how about anything pre-bettman, pre-lockout...92-92?

Selanne celebrates...

Oveh's celebration was worthy, he is one of 3 players in NHL histroy to score 50 goals 3 times in their first 4 seasons...the kid makes the NHL intersting, but easy to hate because he is a(n?) euro. If this was Crosby nothing would be said...he is a good ole Canadian boy...

Ovi plays hard and plays the game clean...he has passion that is unmatched...let the kid celebrate something anyone else in the world would of celebrated as well...

Now...old time hockey is not lost...
Last night...
Line Brawl
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:29 pm

In response to the original post about Ovechkin, let me clarify that one. That was the only celebration he ever planned and it was because the goal made it so he had done something that only 2 players in NHL history had done before (Wayne Gretzky and Mike Bossy). We aren't talking about a T.O. like celebration whenever he scores. It was a milestone goal, and other than that, he really only jumps up and hugs his teammates and stuff.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:30 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:In response to the original post about Ovechkin, let me clarify that one. That was the only celebration he ever planned and it was because the goal made it so he had done something that only 2 players in NHL history had done before (Wayne Gretzky and Mike Bossy). We aren't talking about a T.O. like celebration whenever he scores. It was a milestone goal, and other than that, he really only jumps up and hugs his teammates and stuff.

Let me add on and say that it was their goalie Jose Theodore's idea
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby joejlitz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:53 pm

aaawall91 wrote:How long ago do you consider the old NHL?

how about anything pre-bettman, pre-lockout...92-92?

Selanne celebrates...

I grew up watching the broad street bullies, 80s, and 90s, hockey so, anything that NFL receivers of today did would definitely have got a guy put on his arse. I don't have a problem with what Selanne did and now that I realize that it was a great milestone for Ovechkin, I don't have a problem with it. I am glad that it is not an every-goal or every night thing, though. That would just be annoying.

I do miss Brian Propp's guffaw, though: 4:01 of this video.
Brian Propp's "Celebration"
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby bungle613 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjbS-BFrFSA

Tiger Williams... my all time fav.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk