They let you fight in sports? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

They let you fight in sports?

Moderator: Football Moderators

They let you fight in sports?

Postby confused_jake » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:06 am

Hey guys, I'd ask this on the hockey board...but it seems kinda dead. So I just started watching some hockey and its like a sport that is played on a totally different planet than baseball or football. I have a few questions about fights and things like that.

1. I've only seen a couple fights, but it seems like the referees try to keep the goalies away. is that because they are wearing a brick wall of pads and should only fight the other goalie?
2. They pretty much have a position just for someone who starts fights? Psh Romo(Bill,not Tony) got in the wrong sport.

I'm used to seeing big hits so those already interest me, but the whole fighting thing is totally new to me. I was watching a game and they were talking about how fighting is a part of the sport and that seems so alien to me. My previous assumption of fights in hockey were similar to when a batter charges the mound trying to attack a pitcher. Only happening when something really personal happens, occasionally.

So yeah, basically i'm getting my first taste of hockey and its interesting. I'm enjoying the fast pace of the game and all the unique parts of this sport.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: They let you fight in sports?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:24 am

yeah, fighting is definately a part of the sport...in the 80's and 90's there were all kinds of fight tapes you could buy

there arent a lot of goalie fights, the only one i can recall is the when Colorado and Detroit's whole team brawled and Mike Vernon and Patrick Roy went at it...i'd reccomend searching that out. Ron Hextall was probably involved in one as well

i'd also look for some Probert/Domi fights
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:there arent a lot of goalie fights, the only one i can recall is the when Colorado and Detroit's whole team brawled and Mike Vernon and Patrick Roy went at it...i'd reccomend searching that out. Ron Hextall was probably involved in one as well

If you search for Patrick Roy and fight on the interwebs you'll probably pull up a video from last year's minor hockey league where Roy was coaching his son's team. There was a multi-player brawl going on and Roy's son (goalie of course) skated the whole length of the ice to pound the crap out of the other goalie. It was pretty brutal, and he got a ton of crap for it because it's so unusual and the other guy obviously didn't want to fight - he was just trying to cover up the whole time.

One of the other players tried to intervene, a defenceman or something, and most people watching were like "oh good, see how he does with someone who wants to fight back" - and Roy Jr gave him a pretty good beating too. Personally, I found his attack on the goalie pretty cowardly, but I was impressed with him when he took it to the other guy like that.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:38 pm

nuff said

that fight cracks me up.

edit: having grown up in st. louis, watching Tony Twist fight was my favorite, it's like his objective was to punch your nose through the other side of your face as quickly as he possibly could. yikes. youtube it.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:44 pm

...it's like the old line: I went to the fights last night and a hockey game broke out! :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n_iWo5gjdE

Dan Cloutier beats the piss out of Tommy Salo then taunts the entire bench. Hilarious.

As far as the fighting goes, I don't have a problem with. Its exciting.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Completely ridiculous.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Fighting and hockey just kinda go hand in hand, in a boys-will-be-boys kind of way. In some extreme cases there have been criminal charges filed as a result of something that happened on the ice. Typically it's assault charges after someone hits somebody with their stick viciously or takes a sucker punch to the back of someone's head and injures them. I just did a bit of looking around and there was even one case where a player was charged with manslaughter.

The fighting is mostly limited to the pro levels, although that doesn't just mean NHL, anyone playing for a paycheck, be it the IHL or any other farm league franchise will mix it up. I played hockey for years in school and for recreation and didn't get into any fights. Just check the guy good and hard and go chase the puck ;-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:47 pm

I went to a minor league hockey game in Eugene a while back, my first hockey game ever. I asked my buddy if he thought there would be any fights and he shrugged. 5 minutes into the game I got my answer when these two dudes went at it. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby confused_jake » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:01 pm

are the minor leagues in hockey pretty similar to the minor leagues in baseball? as far as talent-wise, compared to their respected leagues? or is it just a bunch of random guys goin out playing hockey?
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk