They let you fight in sports? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

They let you fight in sports?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: They let you fight in sports?

Postby Metroid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:04 pm

confused_jake wrote:are the minor leagues in hockey pretty similar to the minor leagues in baseball? as far as talent-wise, compared to their respected leagues? or is it just a bunch of random guys goin out playing hockey?

I dunno...you mean like are the minor hockey league teams "farm teams?" Like in baseball? :-?

Even if that is what you mean I still dunno. :-b

I'm sure someone here can answer that though. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:07 pm

It depends. The East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) is semi-professional and from what I hear is pretty low quality. Most NHL teams have farm teams in the AHL and its pretty good. The guys are paid and thats where all the top prospects play. I would compare it to AAA baseball Then there is junior hockey (WHL, OHL). Those guys are mostly 18-20 and aren't paid either, but its exciting.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:24 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Fighting and hockey just kinda go hand in hand, in a boys-will-be-boys kind of way. In some extreme cases there have been criminal charges filed as a result of something that happened on the ice. Typically it's assault charges after someone hits somebody with their stick viciously or takes a sucker punch to the back of someone's head and injures them. I just did a bit of looking around and there was even one case where a player was charged with manslaughter.

The fighting is mostly limited to the pro levels, although that doesn't just mean NHL, anyone playing for a paycheck, be it the IHL or any other farm league franchise will mix it up. I played hockey for years in school and for recreation and didn't get into any fights. Just check the guy good and hard and go chase the puck ;-)

Look here, "Gunnar," no offense, but you lose all credibility talking about fighting with a sig like that. :-b
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joejlitz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:32 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:nuff said

that fight cracks me up.

edit: having grown up in st. louis, watching Tony Twist fight was my favorite, it's like his objective was to punch your nose through the other side of your face as quickly as he possibly could. yikes. youtube it.

That was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. That Metallica music in the background was perfect, too. I miss the hockey days of yore when those brawl-filled games were much more common. How 'bout those Broad Street Bullies!
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 pm

portisfan24 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n_iWo5gjdE

Dan Cloutier beats the piss out of Tommy Salo then taunts the entire bench. Hilarious.

As far as the fighting goes, I don't have a problem with. Its exciting.

THAT WAS AWESOME! Salo got what he deserved for sticking his nose where it didn't belong. I'm thinking of watching hockey again... :-L
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby joejlitz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote: Ron Hextall was probably involved in one as well

Ron Hextall was involved in a ridiculous amount of fights and altercations given that he was a goalie. He will forever be known in Philly as possibly the most loved goalie (besides maybe Bernie) in Flyers history.
Here is a Highlight Video. He was very chippy, but I never remember anyone labeling his a cheap shot artist, even though parts of this video are not very flattering for him. It was very different times in the 80s, too. Most of his stick checks back then were just him protecting the crease.

Around two minutes they show his two goals, one in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Guru13 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:53 pm

joejlitz wrote:

Ron Hextall was involved in a ridiculous amount of fights and altercations given that he was a goalie. He will forever be known in Philly as possibly the most loved goalie (besides maybe Bernie) in Flyers history.
Here is a Highlight Video. He was very chippy, but I never remember anyone labeling his a cheap shot artist, even though parts of this video are not very flattering for him. It was very different times in the 80s, too. Most of his stick checks back then were just him protecting the crease.

I never even got to watch him play, but he just flew way up the charts for coolest hockey player ever.

That one guy was running away. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby confused_jake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:56 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

I never even got to watch him play, but he just flew way up the charts for coolest hockey player ever.

That one guy was running away. :-b

x2

One of the coolest things ever. he seems like the kind of guy that would spit in the face of political correctness.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:50 am

Fighting in hockey is as normal as a sack in football or a stolen base in baseball. It just happens, just part of the game. However, I think it's very important to note that hockey players have a bit of a code when it comes to fighting. No weapons like sticks or skates and when it's over, it's over. I think it's the responsibility of parents and coaches to teach kids as they learn the game to show them the proper way, and why, you fight in hockey. It's a rough sport and these players have to establish a degree of dominance and I think fighting is one of the ways they attempt to do that.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby confused_jake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:19 pm

Yeah it seems like theres a lot of unwritten rules in hockey. It is definitley a sport I want to watch more in the future.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk