Giants interested in Braylon Edwards??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Giants interested in Braylon Edwards???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Giants interested in Braylon Edwards???

Postby stomperrob » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:20 am

New York Giants discussed trade for Cleveland Browns' Braylon Edwards
by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
Sunday March 22, 2009, 9:28 PM

There have been plenty of rumblings the Giants had talked with the Browns about a trade for their top wide receiver, Braylon Edwards. Those rumors had revolved around the Giants' sending defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka to Cleveland. I had heard nothing to substantiate the rumors, so I didn't mention them here.

But Ken Palmer of The Giant Insider reported today that, while the Giants never dangled Kiwanuka, they did inquire about Edwards.

To read the full story, you need a Scout.com subscription, but I've seen the full report and I'll tell you what Palmer's reporting:

The Giants offered the Browns the two draft picks they received from the Saints last year in exchange for TE Jeremy Shockey: a second-round pick and a fifth-rounder.

The Browns countered by asking for WR Steve Smith. The Giants said no.

The Giants then offered either of two other WRs: Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham. The Browns said no.

The talks died down after that last exchange, though they could pick up at draft time.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009 ... scuss.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Giants interested in Braylon Ewards???

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 pm

In a sitdown to discuss the status of his team, Browns General Manager George Kokinis confirmed that he spoke with the New York Giants last month "about everything," but said a trade involving receiver Braylon Edwards "hasn't really come to fruition."

Just a few minutes later, Giants General Manager Jerry Reese tapped Kokinis on the shoulder and winked as he strolled by.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... e_kok.html

What to make of that? No idea but it made me laugh. The fact that the Browns are publically speaking about Edwards makes me think he's definitely a goner on draft day. Maybe not necessarily to the Giants but somewhere.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dmacblue » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks again to StomperRob for his continued postings of such articles. ;-D

Yeah I agree with Amazinz...The silence out of the Browns camp is deafening! The fact that the Browns continue to pass up opportunities to shoot down these Edwards (and 'everyone bar Thomas is available') rumors tells us all we need to know.

I think he is worth more than Shockeys 2nd and 5th picks though, and whilst I quite like Steve Smith (NYG), I wouldn't trade Edwards for him. Of course I am not privvy to the intangibles; contracts etc. Hixon and Manningham options were correctly dismissed out of hand.

If Redskins offered a 1st and an additional conditional 1st for Ocho Cinco, then I would've thought Edwards warrants a similar offer.

Its very interesting whats gone on in Cleveland the past 12 months. They were evereyones sleeper du jour last year, and seem to have imploded. Romeo gone, Winslow gone, and Edwards and Anderson quite likely going...thats an amazing fact considering where things stood a year ago.

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:22 pm

...and the Browns have gone out and signed a veteran WR:

Cleveland Browns adding a receiver, confirm talks about Braylon Edwards
by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter
Monday March 23, 2009, 4:11 PM

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The Browns are bringing back David Patten to help fill their void at wide receiver, General Manager George Kokinis said at NFL owners meetings today.
"We're going to sign him. It's another veteran leader, experienced," Kokinis said.

Patten will be 35 on Aug. 19. He played for the Browns in the 2000 season and then experienced a couple Super Bowl championships with the New England Patriots. Patten spent the past two seasons with New Orleans.

He has 324 catches in his 13-year NFL career.

The Browns are thin at receiver and don't know if Donte Stallworth will play for them in 2009. Stallworth could be facing legal problems as a result of a fatal car accident in Miami Beach on March 14.

"We had David in before the Stallworth incident occurred, so that signing wasn't really triggered by that," Kokinis said.

The addition of Patten coincides with a report from New York that the Browns engaged in trade talks with the Giants about Braylon Edwards.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... _rece.html

Hmm :-?
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:01 pm

Wide open wideouts

It could change as the draft gets closer, but it doesn't appear the Giants are going to be able to get Anquan Boldin out of Arizona or Braylon Edwards out of Cleveland. Cards coach Ken Whisenhunt said they are negotiating with Boldin on a new deal to replace the two years left on his contract. "We haven't thought about him not being back," he said. And Mangini was raving about Edwards last week, which could be genuine or designed to drive up his market value. "He hurt us at the Jets," said Mangini, who then described an acrobatic catch he made on Darrelle Revis. … Coughlin has been leaving messages all over the Giants' locker room, even on players stools, reminding them of the disappointing end to last season. "Work ethic must exceed the expectation level," is one of them. Asked if his players make the connection, Coughlin said, "They get it. I'm in there spelling it out for them."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... tml?page=2
stomperrob

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:25 pm

Pardon my french but if Carolina is giong to jerk around and let their best players on defense go we need to go get a Boldin or Edwards to lineup next to Smith, then I think our offense will be unstoppable. We might as well be like the Chiefs and outscore everyone else! ;-D
Last edited by MadDog36 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 134)

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:37 pm

dmacblue wrote:Thanks again to StomperRob for his continued postings of such articles. ;-D

This isn't said often enough- Thanks Stomper!
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby joejlitz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:51 am

Kareighuis wrote:
dmacblue wrote:Thanks again to StomperRob for his continued postings of such articles. ;-D

Meh... ;-)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:11 am

Kareighuis wrote:

Thanx - appreciate the feedback! ;-D
stomperrob

Re: Giants interested in Braylon Edwards???

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:29 pm

ESPN 950 in Philly is reporting that a trade between the Browns and Giants will be announced tomorrow. Edwards for a 1st and a 5th. I'm not in Philly and didn't hear it first hand but it's on all of the football boards I visit. If it's true, it's surprising that a Philly beat reporter beat out the NY and CLE beat reporters lol.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk