Giants interested in Braylon Edwards??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Giants interested in Braylon Edwards???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Giants interested in Braylon Edwards???

Postby joejlitz » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:24 am

Amazinz wrote:ESPN 950 in Philly is reporting that a trade between the Browns and Giants will be announced tomorrow. Edwards for a 1st and a 5th. I'm not in Philly and didn't hear it first hand but it's on all of the football boards I visit. If it's true, it's surprising that a Philly beat reporter beat out the NY and CLE beat reporters lol.

I hope this is inaccurate. I'm not wanting him in the NFC East, unless he plays for the Birds. I couldn't find anything on the internet this morning to even substantiate an updated rumor about this, though. :-o
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:03 am

WFAN radio in NY confirmed the story out of Philly but could not confirm that it was truthful.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:31 am

From the Cle media:

* News: Winslow says on SIRIUS NFL radio that the New York Giants are a great fit for Braylon Edwards.

"He would love it there. He's a city guy and, yeah, I know he would love it there," Winslow said.

View: The Browns and Giants talked about a trade for Edwards in February. And that was before the Giants released Plaxico Burress. There's enough smoke in this rumor to believe those talks are being revisited.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... winsl.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:06 pm

What are the Cleveland Brown's doing?

I can understand getting into the whole Cutler situation considering how poorly Anderson performed last season and if you could get good value for Quinn in the process of acquiring a guy like Cutler. But this offseason they have also dumped Winslow and they are now reportedly getting rid of Edwards. What will be left there? It's not like Cleveland has a stellar defense that can carry the team in most weeks. Sounds like a "culture change" rebuild to me. Those kinds of changes are even worse than the traditional rebuild where you ditch your expensive old players...Both Winslow and Edwards are among the most talented young players at their respective positions! What the hell is going on in Cleveland to force these guys out of town?

Best case scenario with the way things are going right now, is that Cleveland gets back to being a decent .500 team in a couple of years with "good image" guys with "below average" talent and hits on a few really good draft picks. I really doubt Mangini is going to coach for very long there considering his chances of successfully rebuilding the franchise, but then again considering how long Romeo was able to stick around I may be jumping the gun just a bit.

On the trade, a low 1st and a 5th for a guy that performed like Edwards did in 2007 is a robbery plain and simple. Maybe they think they are selling high after a disasterous 2008, but Edwards clearly has the goods when he is on his game. Even a guy like Javon Walker who was once a top5 or top10 WR in the game, he got injured and moved to a new team and STILL produced before falling off the map in Oakland. I see that as kind of a worst case scenario for a guy like Edwards, and even then New York is the second stop and it is most definitely NOT Oakland. This guy still has a very bright future as young as he is. I think if he lands in New York, that guy will produce as good as if not better than Plaxico with Eli getting him the ball if he can get back to 2007 form.

And back to the Browns, why in the world would you even entertain the idea of going back to Anderson at QB after what he did last season and after the promise that Quinn showed in the few games that he did play? Why are you getting rid of all the best players on offense? Something is not right in there. Shaun Rogers, you big trade and most talented defensive player is talking about sitting out. He is probably just the tip of the iceberg there... Cleveland is hot on the heals of Cincinnati as being the laughingstock of the division. It's a shame because both of those teams looked like they were becoming solid potential playoff franchises in the last couple of years. Why do these Bill Belicheck disciples get in town and start slinging around the "my way or the highway" attitude and then proceed to show they DON'T know what the hell they are doing? How are these guys getting jobs? Mangini couldn't take his team to the playoffs with Brett Favre, the best FA class in the league, several high draft picks, a core of young solid players, and a weaker than expected division due to injuries. Yet this guy is now qualified to trade away Winslow and Edwards in the same offseason and go into week 1 potentiall starting Derek Anderson yet again. It's amazing and disgusting. The average fan could do a better job.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Re: Giants interested in Braylon Ewards???

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:19 pm

MadDog36 wrote:Pardon my french but if Carolina is giong to jerk around and let their best players on defense go we need to go get a Boldin or Edwards to lineup next to Smith, then I think our offense will be unstoppable. We might as well be like the Chiefs and outscore everyone else! ;-D

I've seen this from you in a couple threads and really I don't understand at all.

Steve Smith commands double teams on every play, so do you really need to go out and trade for another superstar receiver? Seems like more of a "wishlist" than anything substantial to go out and acquire such expensive players (Edwards, Boldin, Plaxico, etc) to line up across Smith. Mushin Muhammad is a solid veterean that knows the system and has produced in it. Dwayne Jarrett was a high draft pick who they have been grooming for years to fill that spot. Borderline guys with talent like Drew Carter and DJ Hackett didn't do anything in that system and still they could move the ball. And now with the emergence of the running game with two amazing players in Deangelo and Stewart, should the priority be placed on the WR2 spot? That offense is going to be fine with that running game, Steve Smith, and a mix of young and old players they can throw out there. IF they don't believe in Jarrett and need another WR or even just a body to throw out there, this is a strong draft to get another guy to develop. There are plenty of vets still available as FA that you can plug and play into that lineup.

Going for a superstar WR through trade or FA is a waste of resources there. For me that is just a waste of cap space, a waste of picks, and a waste of playing time to acquire a guy to slot in at #2. Grab a guy like Shaun McDonald for cheap, throw him into the slot and turn him into your version of Wes Welker. You just don't need a standout WR2 with Steve Smith there. Keep the picks and draft some guys for the front seven, pickup that rookie WR, and pickup a rookie QB to develop. IF anything, you should be concerned most about the backup QB position. Delhomme didn't look the same last season, and we've already seen that if HE goes down your season is in the tank. Doesn't matter who is at WR2 if that happens.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:10 am

Kensat30 wrote:What are the Cleveland Brown's doing?
...The average fan could do a better job.

Well said, Kensat. The Browns almost look like they're trying to do a Florida Marlins firesale in the midst of this miserable economy. The differences are that I'd never heard of the Brown organization being cheap and that the Marlins still won two W.S. while doing so.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:35 am

Kirwan said that the Browns are holding out for Kiwi, which has also been reported as the case with Arizona. If that's true my guess would be that the Giants will not acquire a high-profile WR. In the end, it's the Giants DL that will decide how successful they are next year so I can't see them robbing Peter to pay Paul even though Edwards is probably worth Kiwi in a vacuum.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:21 pm

Amazinz wrote:Kirwan said that the Browns are holding out for Kiwi, which has also been reported as the case with Arizona. If that's true my guess would be that the Giants will not acquire a high-profile WR. In the end, it's the Giants DL that will decide how successful they are next year so I can't see them robbing Peter to pay Paul even though Edwards is probably worth Kiwi in a vacuum.

Do they really even need Kiwi the way that Tuck and Robbins performed last season? The team fell apart at the end of last year without Plaxico in the fold, what is different going into 2009? With Plaxico they were coasting to a division title in one of the toughest in the league. If any team really needs a standout WR right now, it's New York IMO.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby iamgregg » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:27 pm

While it's true that one of the aspects that makes the Giants a very good team is the D-Line play, part of that is the sheer depth they have at the position, even with Osi Umenyiora out last season.

Like Kensat said, Giants need a top WR target right now and they have the D-Line depth to afford trading for one.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:39 pm

Plax gets all the attention but the wearing down of the DL played a large part in the Giants slide last year. If the DL is playing as well as they were in the first 3/4ths of the season, I believe they win that game against Philly.

As currently constructed the Giants will have the potential for a dominant defense and will be able to utilizes an even more diverse version of the 'four-aces' package that was so successful for them during their championship run. There is no doubt the Giants could use O help but you don't subtract from your defense to do it. Defense is what will win the NFC East.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk