Chiefs' Gonzo Traded to ATL Falcons - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chiefs' Gonzo Traded to ATL Falcons

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Chiefs' Tony Gonzalez Open to Trade

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:49 pm

I like it for both teams, KC probably knows next year is a stronger draft class, and I think all they could land from this year was a 3rd rounder, so a 2nd nxt year should come in handy, Gonzo is a beast but he's 33 and not helping them get to the next level.

ATL gets much better on offense, and I'm hoping his addition opens things up for Roddy even more(at least my dynasty teams hope so :-D ). Matty Ice should have a very good 2nd year, now they can spend almost their entire draft on defense if they so choose.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:37 pm

joejlitz wrote:If he goes to ATL, their offense would move into the "scary-good" category. :-o

SB contender? I am definitely worried about them, now. :-o :-o
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Gonzo traded to the Falcons

Postby madaslives911 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:28 pm

It's now official....

Tony Gonzalez is headed out of Kansas City.

The Falcons confirmed to USA TODAY's Jim Corbett that they have acquired Gonzalez from the Chiefs for a second-round pick in next year's draft.

Gonzalez had been interested in leaving Kansas City if he could play for a Super Bowl contender. "It's somewhat bittersweet," Gonzalez told Fox Sports. "I love Kansas City. I grew up in Kansas City. The city means a lot to me. I got there when I turned 21. It will be sad to leave a city I love. But I'm looking forward to making a Super Bowl run in Atlanta every year for the next three or four years. "

Gonzalez, a 10-time Pro Bowler, has played in Kansas City since entering the league in 1997. He caught 96 passes for 1,058 yards and 10 touchdowns last season.

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff told USA TODAY today that he expected a lot of trade activity leading into and during this weekend's draft.

He wouldn't acknowledge that the Falcons were close to a deal for Gonzalez, but spoke positively of the effect the tight end can have.

"I think most teams, I don't care who they are, would envision Tony walking out of their tunnel, knowing he's going to improve their football team," Dimitroff said.

Gonzalez will become a target for second-year quarterback Matt Ryan.

“With Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Roddy White and now myself, we have the chance to be in the top 5 in the league in offense every year," Gonzalez told Fox. "How could I not be excited to join that team?”

Gonzalez told Fox he left Kansas City on positive terms. "There was no bitterness at all from either side," he said

Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:40 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I like it for both teams, KC probably knows next year is a stronger draft class, and I think all they could land from this year was a 3rd rounder, so a 2nd nxt year should come in handy, Gonzo is a beast but he's 33 and not helping them get to the next level.

ATL gets much better on offense

I agree with everything you wrote. Tony will still catch a ton of passes but he won't help them to a Bowl. They need to significantly improve their Defense for that.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Chiefs' Gonzo Traded to ATL Falcons

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:17 am

Haivng a hard time seeing any positives for the Chiefs on this deal. A second round pick? NFL graveyards are full of players who were second round busts, especially what figures to be a mid-to-late second rounder.
Dirty Birds are making an impressive push that shows, once again, how quickly a franchise can be turned around in this league.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mattb47 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:48 am

moochman wrote:Haivng a hard time seeing any positives for the Chiefs on this deal. A second round pick? NFL graveyards are full of players who were second round busts, especially what figures to be a mid-to-late second rounder.
Dirty Birds are making an impressive push that shows, once again, how quickly a franchise can be turned around in this league.

Plenty of guys taken in the first round as well that are first round busts but those guys come at a higher price tag. This is a solid trade I think because it gives them another potential starter in the 2010 draft which will be stronger than this draft is most likely. Stockpiling picks also gives you trading options when the draft begins and multiple 1st and/or 2nd round picks give you a lot of flexibility.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 am

moochman wrote:Having a hard time seeing any positives for the Chiefs on this deal. A second round pick? NFL graveyards are full of players who were second round busts, especially what figures to be a mid-to-late second rounder.

well you are not going to get a 1st for a 33 year old TE who may only play two more seasons even if he is the greatest to play the position statistically and there isn't any reason for the chiefs to keep him at this point honestly.it isn't like they threw away Gonzo he asked out and Pioli obliged him with what was the best offer. most teams last year were not offering anything more than a second and in most cases less than that which was why he wasn't moved last year along with the fact that Peterson loved the guy and probably would have never moved him. i love Tony as a player and he is one of my all time favorite Chiefs but you gotta take what you can get when you can get it.

and honestly there are busts in every round of the draft not just the second.the Chiefs are rebuilding and they are going to do it through the draft and getting more picks is the best way to go about that. if it were a third rounder then i would probably be a little more upset about the situation but i'll take the best we were offered for two years for the guy in the second round pick.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:39 pm

A second round pick tomorrow is worth a third round pick today. I think that is the appropriate value to play for a pro-bowl caliber player that may only have a year or two left before he hands them up. Miami got a great deal on Jason Taylor when you consider how he fared last year in Washington.

Then again, this is the second year in a row that Kansas is jettisoning older players for picks. Their picks last year did decently overall, but they are not getting appropriate return on their money with their very top picks. They were rebuilding last year and they are rebuilding again this year. Bottomline, they can't really lose out on much since they are entering a rebuilding phase from a rebuilding phase.. I think this was a smart move to get rid of Gonzo while he still held value to someone.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:52 pm

logan wrote:
moochman wrote:Having a hard time seeing any positives for the Chiefs on this deal. A second round pick? NFL graveyards are full of players who were second round busts, especially what figures to be a mid-to-late second rounder.

well you are not going to get a 1st for a 33 year old TE who may only play two more seasons even if he is the greatest to play the position statistically and there isn't any reason for the chiefs to keep him at this point honestly.it isn't like they threw away Gonzo he asked out and Pioli obliged him with what was the best offer. most teams last year were not offering anything more than a second and in most cases less than that which was why he wasn't moved last year along with the fact that Peterson loved the guy and probably would have never moved him. i love Tony as a player and he is one of my all time favorite Chiefs but you gotta take what you can get when you can get it.

and honestly there are busts in every round of the draft not just the second.the Chiefs are rebuilding and they are going to do it through the draft and getting more picks is the best way to go about that. if it were a third rounder then i would probably be a little more upset about the situation but i'll take the best we were offered for two years for the guy in the second round pick.

Let me clarify. I don't think they didn't get the best value they could for Gonzo. I'm saying that you cannot get a good enough return for a pro-bowl, inpact player.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:41 pm

My only problem with this is that with parity being as crazy as it is nowadays in the NFL, there's really no such thing as "rebuilding" anymore.

Last year, Miami and Atlanta were looked at as "rebuilding" teams. They won 23 games combined and both made the playoffs, and the Dolphins really could've used a guy like Jason Taylor to get after the passer (I know he blew out his knee in Washington, but who knows what would've happened in Miami).

For all we know, KC could end up as a contender next year that's one pro bowl TE short of making a serious run. Heck, they've as much to improve this offseason than Miami or Atlanta did last offseason.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk