Chiefs' Gonzo Traded to ATL Falcons - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chiefs' Gonzo Traded to ATL Falcons

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Chiefs' Gonzo Traded to ATL Falcons

Postby doublej73 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:42 pm

Put me in the same boat for a "scarey good" Atlanta offense this year, especially if their defense backslides from 2008.

Ryan going into his second year. Roddy White 1202 and 1382 yards the past two years after Atlanta was threatening to join Jacksonville and Detroit in the "first round bust wide receivers club." Michael Jenkins a servicable # 2 with 777 yards (I had thought they would be better till I looked it up) Michael Turner with 1699 yards rushing and 17 TDs,(thanks for the 2008 fantasy championship Mr. Turner!) now throw in Gonzo with his 1000 plus yards and 10 TDs from last year.

Even assuming Turner's numbers drop off this year, Ryan's should improve as he continues to develop. The only problem I can see is the "not enough footballs to go around" problem we often see with star laden teams. I well remember my 1995 Miami Dolphins, 18 first round draft picks on the roster (most in the NFL at that time) high hopes, superbowl aspirations! result, 9-7, an embarassing first round playoff exit and Shula let go for Jimmy "I promise a Super Bowl in three years" Johnson. Ugh!
doublej73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:52 am

Free Bagel wrote:My only problem with this is that with parity being as crazy as it is nowadays in the NFL, there's really no such thing as "rebuilding" anymore.

Last year, Miami and Atlanta were looked at as "rebuilding" teams. They won 23 games combined and both made the playoffs, and the Dolphins really could've used a guy like Jason Taylor to get after the passer (I know he blew out his knee in Washington, but who knows what would've happened in Miami).

For all we know, KC could end up as a contender next year that's one pro bowl TE short of making a serious run. Heck, they've as much to improve this offseason than Miami or Atlanta did last offseason.

Atlanta drafted the next Peyton Manning. Miami picked up Bill Parcells.

KC got.... Matt Cassel.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Billsbacker » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm also a Matt Ryan fan, but I would not look for Gonzo to post typical Gonzo-like production this year....the reason is offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey. If you check MM's history, he rarely uses TE's much in his offense. Caveat Emptor (latin for drafter beware...)
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk