Return to Football Talk

Anderson vs Quinn

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anderson vs Quinn

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:55 pm

Cleveland Browns coach opens quarterback competition between Anderson and Quinn
by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter
Tuesday March 24, 2009, 12:10 PM

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The open quarterback competition between Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn officially has begun, Browns coach Eric Mangini said at the NFL owners meetings this morning.

While the prospect of trading one still exists, Mangini said he met with both quarterbacks prior to coming here and explained they will have an open competition for the starting job in 2009.

"I talked to both of them about that and was very clear," Mangini said. "I said if they have any questions they can come and see me. In terms of the competition and their opportunities. That's what I told them. They understand that."

Mangini said after reviewing tapes of both players, holding conversations with them and talking to others, he is "excited" about the prospect of having both compete for the job.

"Without knowing exactly what they were being asked to do on each of the plays, I thought both seemed to have a good presence, a good command of the situation. They each do different things in the passing game and running game that I like," he said.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ens_q.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anderson vs Quinn

Postby Metroid » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:03 pm

I'd trade both for Cutler. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:47 pm

Anderson went into last season with promise but proved he is over rated. Quinn really hasn't had a fair shot at showing his skillz. I think they should choose one and trade the other. Then rely on an older vet to hold down the fort if the starter gets hurt.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Metroid » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm not sure Anderson has really shown he's "overrated" yet. Not everything that happened last year was his fault, If Braylon had caught just half the balls he should have last year I don't think Quinn would have ever seen the field. I'm not saying that Anderson isn't overrated but I'm just not sure.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 am

Metroid wrote:I'm not sure Anderson has really shown he's "overrated" yet. Not everything that happened last year was his fault, If Braylon had caught just half the balls he should have last year I don't think Quinn would have ever seen the field. I'm not saying that Anderson isn't overrated but I'm just not sure.

This is a good point. Anderson had a lot of 3 and outs and never really was able to get into any sort of rhythm in a lot of games. He did have some errant throws but it always seemed to me that Braylon would drop some of the most crucial passes at certain points in the game that just threw the whole offense out of wack.

Who wins the competition will just come down to who fits the offense better. Anderson obviously has the stronger arm, the height, and the experience while Quinn is more accurate and mobile. I think the more pressing issue for the Browns offense is RB and WR/TE. They really could use a good 3rd down back and a playmaker at WR/TE.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:01 pm

I don't know...from what I watched of the Browns last year in a good deal of games I ended up seeing of them, Anderson looked awful to me. Sure, some of those were drops but his passes just lacked overall accuracy you see from most starting QBs in this league who are solid guys. To be honest, he was never really that accurate and I think people simply blew his "breakout year" out of proportion more than anything else and had too lofty of expectations for him.

Just look at his numbers in his "breakout season":

298-527 (56.5%), 3,787 yards, 29 TDs and 19 INTs - 82.5 passer rating

Yardage was very solid as were the TDs, but overall it wasn't a fantastic season. 19 INTs placed him 1 behind the lead for the entire league and 56% completion percentage placed him at 28th best in the league for that stat. He was behind such stellar QBs as Tarvaris Jackson, Brodie Croyle, Kyle Boller, Brian Griese, Joey Harrington, and Vince Young in that stat (just for reference). To be lower in such a key stat as some of those guys is not the biggest plus for me personally.

In 2008 he took some steps back as his completion percentage dropped further to just 50.2% on just over 1/2 the attempts he had the previous season and had just 9 TD passes to 8 INTs in 10 games he played in last season.

Now, while the completion percentage could partially be attributed to drops, the plain fact of the matter is that his 56.5% was really no better than the previous season he had played in and is quite low overall.

I'm not positive that Brady Quinn is the guy or that he'll be any better than Anderson overall, but I think you gotta give him the chance this season to see what he can do. I have been unimpressed with Anderson's best and I think we've yet to see Quinn at his best so I do think we'll see him start this season out as the starter when it's all said and done.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby brownsfantasygirl » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:50 pm

The word in Cleveland is that DA will be traded on draft day and BQ will be the QB. I hope that is true.

DA was very lucky his first year out because the receivers made some amazing catches that saved his butt and made him look better than he is. He played decent, but he wasn't worth all the money that our idiot GM threw at him.

We threw a ton of cash at BQ too so I hope he at least gets a shot at playing. He seems solid enough and doesn't appear to get as frazzled and dejected as DA does when things don't go well.

I'll tell ya, it is sooooo frustrating to be a Browns fan.
brownsfantasygirl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby biju » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:04 pm

brownsfantasygirl wrote:The word in Cleveland is that DA will be traded on draft day and BQ will be the QB. I hope that is true.

DA was very lucky his first year out because the receivers made some amazing catches that saved his butt and made him look better than he is. He played decent, but he wasn't worth all the money that our idiot GM threw at him.

We threw a ton of cash at BQ too so I hope he at least gets a shot at playing. He seems solid enough and doesn't appear to get as frazzled and dejected as DA does when things don't go well.

I'll tell ya, it is sooooo frustrating to be a Browns fan.

I was just coming in here to post something similar.

I'm sure the Browns are posturing themselves to other teams as saying "we think DA is starter quality" to up his trade value. I don't think the Browns have any real belief they might be starting Derek Anderson in a single game this year until Quinn gets injured.

They will eventually let him go for a rather cheap 2nd day pick...if they can even get that.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:37 am

* News: Browns deny Brady Quinn was involved in trade talks with Denver. Denver coach Josh McDaniels says Kyle Orton is his quarterback after the trade of Jay Cutler.

View: If McDaniels wants Quinn, he knows he can get him. The fact he doesn't appear to want him does not bode well for the Browns.

Mike Lombardi, who was Bill Belichick's personnel director with the Browns in the 1990s, had an eye-opening take on Quinn.

I've been hearing for weeks that the new Browns' brass is divided on Quinn, that, in fact, Quinn had more supporters in the old regime, which nailed him to the bench for two years.

I've been hearing that the new regime isn't head-over-heels with Derek Anderson, either, but Anderson's arm always will impress coaches at this time of year.

I've also been hearing that the new regime is smitten with Mark Sanchez of USC and it wouldn't surprise some -- though it would floor everybody in Cleveland -- if the Browns took Sanchez with the fifth pick of the draft.

Quinn, of course, has not had much of an opportunity to disprove critics that question his accuracy and arm strength. He deserves that much before the Browns give up on him.

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter
Tuesday April 07, 2009, 4:28 PM

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... winsl.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby brownsfantasygirl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Sigh.
brownsfantasygirl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk