NFL Considering a 17 or 18 game schedule. Thoughts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL Considering a 17 or 18 game schedule. Thoughts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL Considering a 17 or 18 game schedule. Thoughts?

Postby scotth36 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:52 am

I see where NFL Commish Roger Goodell wants more games that count. They are considering expanding its regular season from 16 to 17 or 18 games, including reaching a new collective bargaining agreement with the players union. The additional games would be tacked on at the end of the current calendar, which owners feel would create added value for their network TV contracts. The longer schedule would undoubtedly add value for the fans but at what risk to the players? Will we start seeing instead of the 2 starting RBs, now 3 or 4?
scotth36 Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL Considering a 17 or 18 game schedule. Thoughts?

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:58 am

The co-owner of the Giants (who is opposed to do this) said that the owners are so overwhelmingly in favor of adding the extra games that it will happen. I like the idea of more football but am really concerned about the injury problems teams will face heading into the playoffs.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:27 am

As a season ticket holder, the less pre-season games I have to pay for, the better ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:12 pm

i wouldnt mind more football...but this is really going to cheapen 2000 yard rushers* (really all records but i'm guessing they said they same thing when it went from 10 to 12 to 14 to 16)

* i mean i dont think we'll see one every year...but it will probably become rather common

also...i wonder how they would do the schedule? with 18 you could play your division twice and everyone in the conference once, which would be nice for a fairly balanced schedule, but i dont like the idea of never seeing AFC teams come to town
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i wouldnt mind more football...but this is really going to cheapen 2000 yard rushers* (really all records but i'm guessing they said they same thing when it went from 10 to 12 to 14 to 16)

* i mean i dont think we'll see one every year...but it will probably become rather common

also...i wonder how they would do the schedule? with 18 you could play your division twice and everyone in the conference once, which would be nice for a fairly balanced schedule, but i dont like the idea of never seeing AFC teams come to town

My guess would be that you play 2 of the 3 other divisions in your conference and 1 of the divisions from the other conference on a rotating schedule similar to what they do now.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:27 am

Hey, the more football the better.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WeekSixteen » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:55 pm

Do you guys think the NFL will pick 17 or 18 games?

In a normal 12 team fantasy league do you see the fantasy playoff system staying the same with week 18 being the championship week, if the NFL picks up 2 more games?

I'm thinking normal leagues will add 2 more games and have a 3 week playoff system that ends on week 18 in the fantasy championship.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Pure hunch but I think the owners will push for 18 and they'll compromise on 17. And yeah I'd expect most fantasy leagues to add as many weeks as are added to the real season.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:48 pm

If they go to 18, what happens with preseason games would be interesting. There would be only 2 games to get the whole team into a rhythm and also get to see how some of the younger players will perform. How much do starters play? Back-ups? What's the new injury risk? If starters play most of both games, then it becomes a much "longer" season for them.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:38 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Hey, the more football the better.

;-D

The older guys (like me :-D ) remember when the NFL went from 14 to 16 games in 1978. ;-D

More games = more chance of injury. That's the only downside fantasy-wise that I can think of. :-o

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Next

Return to Football Talk