Small towns are cool!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Small towns are cool!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Small towns are cool!!!

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:20 pm

I just got back from a 4 day trip only to find my fridge broke down and of course all the meat and everyting else in the freezer section thawed out (why do Americans say unthawed, that would mean to freeze???) and spoiled. So I phoned the service man and who shows up but the mayor of our town - I forgot he also owns the appliance repair business. Not only that, but if ya ever phone to report a fire, he's liable to show then too since he's on the volunteer fire department! Seems like in a small town everyone does 2 or 3 things!

And why is it that fridges only break down when you're outta town - do thy have some kinda sensor??? :-?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Small towns are cool!!!

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 pm

stomperrob wrote:And why is it that fridges only break down when you're outta town - do thy have some kinda sensor??? :-?

Dude... we were leaving on vacation for a week. All loaded up in the car and ready to go when I realized I needed to grab something outta the kitchen. I'm standing there and suddenly hear high water pressure going nuts. The water line in the back of the fridge came apart. If I weren't there, it would have destroyed... crap, EVERYTHING!
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:56 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
stomperrob wrote:And why is it that fridges only break down when you're outta town - do thy have some kinda sensor??? :-?

Dude... we were leaving on vacation for a week. All loaded up in the car and ready to go when I realized I needed to grab something outta the kitchen. I'm standing there and suddenly hear high water pressure going nuts. The water line in the back of the fridge came apart. If I weren't there, it would have destroyed... crap, EVERYTHING!

Close call - you were lucky the sensor malfunctioned and thought you had already left! :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby joejlitz » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:43 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:

And let me guess...you called the plumber and the Rotary Club President showed up? :-b
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joejlitz » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:46 pm

On a serious and only slightly related note:

When I saw the title, I immediately thought of Pittsburgh. I've only been there once, but I fell in love with the "big city" with the small town feel. Lots of ethnic representation (I love me some pierogies), blue collar ethic (like Philly), and 3 major sports teams, all in what seems like 2 square miles of city. What more could you ask for?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:18 am

joejlitz wrote:On a serious and only slightly related note:

When I saw the title, I immediately thought of Pittsburgh. I've only been there once, but I fell in love with the "big city" with the small town feel. Lots of ethnic representation (I love me some pierogies), blue collar ethic (like Philly), and 3 major sports teams, all in what seems like 2 square miles of city. What more could you ask for?

Lived there myself for 6 months. All of the people were really nice. ;-D

And yeah, there's a lot of stuff crammed into very little space. 8-o Quite different from what I was used to here in Texas. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:11 am

joejlitz wrote:On a serious and only slightly related note:

4 major sports teams
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 am

I'm American and I say thawed. :^
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:30 am

I had a similar thing happen, only it wasn't my fridge it was my toilet. We weren't gone from our condo for two days on a week-long trip, and we got a call from the lady who was watching the place for us. The toilet sprung a leak and soaked our floor and went down into the walls of the condo below us, ruining a HUGE section of our neighbor's hallway. We were on the hook for nearly $6,000 in repairs, but insurance covered all but like $1,000 of it. The neighbor was cool about it - she was a single mom with way too much on her plate to deal with something like this, but she realized it wasn't our fault, it was just some mechanical malfunction.

That is the only time in my life I've ever had anything mechanical break down on a toilet. What are the odds?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:45 am

knapplc wrote:I had a similar thing happen, only it wasn't my fridge it was my toilet. We weren't gone from our condo for two days on a week-long trip, and we got a call from the lady who was watching the place for us. The toilet sprung a leak and soaked our floor and went down into the walls of the condo below us, ruining a HUGE section of our neighbor's hallway. We were on the hook for nearly $6,000 in repairs, but insurance covered all but like $1,000 of it. The neighbor was cool about it - she was a single mom with way too much on her plate to deal with something like this, but she realized it wasn't our fault, it was just some mechanical malfunction.

That is the only time in my life I've ever had anything mechanical break down on a toilet. What are the odds?

35:1
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Next

Return to General Talk