Another mother of the year candidate - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Another mother of the year candidate

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another mother of the year candidate

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:24 pm

Mo. mom accused of giving alcohol to young teens
AP - March 31, 2009 6:06:37 PM

APA mother and another woman face felony child-endangerment charges after a 14-year-old's birthday party that ended with two young teens being taken to a hospital. Karen Christine Downs, 43, of Kansas City, and Kelsee Guest, 25, are accused of providing liquor and beer to six 13- and 14-year-olds at a February birthday party for Downs' daughter. Two girls, one 13 and the other 14, passed out and were later taken to a hospital, according to court documents.

Downs allegedly offered $10 to whoever could chug a glass of vodka the fastest. Guest is accused of pouring the shots.

"We continue to work to educate teenagers and adults about the dangerous effects of teen drinking," Platte County prosecutor Eric Zahnd in a news release. "But understand this: It is a crime to give alcohol to somebody's child. And any adult who creates a substantial risk to the life, body, or health of a child can face felony charges."

Police responded to a complaint of a loud party at a home in northern Kansas City around 2 a.m. Feb. 22 and found the teenage girls, several of whom told investigators that they had been drinking heavily. One girl who was unconscious was taken to a hospital, where her blood content was later determined to be .218, more than twice the legal limit to operate a motor vehicle.

A second girl also was taken to the hospital because officers believed she had alcohol poisoning.

"This was a very serious and dangerous situation," Kansas City police Chief Jim Corwin said. "We are fortunate we are not standing here discussing a homicide."

Officers found between 60 and 70 empty beer bottles and several empty liquor bottles scattered throughout the home's basement.

The girls told officers that Downs offered them shots and told them not to tell their parents about it. After running out of alcohol, Guest asked the girls if they had any money to buy more, Zahnd said, and the two suspects and one of the girls then bought another bottle of vodka.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.mail.com/Article.aspx?articlepath=APNews\Top-Headlines\20090401\Party-Mom.xml&cat=topheadlines&subcat=&pageid=1

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Another mother of the year candidate

Postby Guru13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:57 pm

wow, I mean this happens all the time with like 17/18+ year old kids, but 13 and 14...that's like 7th grade. Yikes.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:13 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:wow, I mean this happens all the time with like 17/18+ year old kids, but 13 and 14...that's like 7th grade. Yikes.

i ended up getting that drunk at that age once...like early afternoon too, and i was scared as heck to go home because i was throwing up and stuff. my mom thought i had heat stroke so i went with it and she went and bought me some Gatorade. now it's just a funny story i tease her about :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:wow, I mean this happens all the time with like 17/18+ year old kids, but 13 and 14...that's like 7th grade. Yikes.

i ended up getting that drunk at that age once...like early afternoon too, and i was scared as heck to go home because i was throwing up and stuff. my mom thought i had heat stroke so i went with it and she went and bought me some Gatorade. now it's just a funny story i tease her about :-b

Got drunk for the first time in Vegas when I was 12. Scotch or whiskey was the culprit. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:34 am

12 huh? damn - started young. :-b

...17 for me...shh don't tell anyone. :-B
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby confused_jake » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:02 am

Reminds me of my former neighbor! Apparently he' drink and smoke pot with his 13 yr old daughter......he also put his head through our kitchen window when he was drunk and trying to break in to our apartment. so yeah, quality human being right there.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:36 am

confused_jake wrote:Reminds me of my former neighbor! Apparently he' drink and smoke pot with his 13 yr old daughter......he also put his head through our kitchen window when he was drunk and trying to break in to our apartment. so yeah, quality human being right there.

There's a number you can call, what was it? Oh, yeah, 911. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:12 am

My first time drunk was at age 18 in my fraternity at college. I remember these two girls decided to take care of me, because I (apparently) looked pretty miserable. They walked me around campus, in my underwear as the story goes, to sober me up. I was pretty funny and had some pretty good one-liners that night, so they tell me. I remember none of it.

I must not have been too annoying, because I ended up marrying one of those girls. :-D ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:24 am

knapplc wrote: They walked me around campus, in my underwear as the story goes, to sober me up.

Heh, my first week of college, I took a tour of campus/town in my underwear, sleepwalking (well, drunken passed-outwalking).

Good job on marrying one of them! Does she bring that story up whenever you're popping the barley sodas a bit too freely?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:25 am

scottaa1 wrote:
knapplc wrote: They walked me around campus, in my underwear as the story goes, to sober me up.

Heh, my first week of college, I took a tour of campus/town in my underwear, sleepwalking (well, drunken passed-outwalking).

Good job on marrying one of them! Does she bring that story up whenever you're popping the barley sodas a bit too freely?

No, she just gives me this kind of tired, disgusted look. Because I drink too much SO often.... like once a year, tops, but that's too often for her.

I've seriously been "drunk" like ten times in my life. I drink enough to get philosophical and wordy about twice a year, and the rest I just have one or two beers at a time. Wine though - I'll drink a whole bottle in an evening, but that's not much when you consider four glasses over the course of five-six hours. Still, I get "the look" when I drink wine or beer two nights in a row. She's a prude. :-b O:-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk