Do you think Denver is done trading? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Denver Broncos

Do you think Denver is done trading?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you think Denver is done trading?

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:55 am

Now that Cutler is gone and Denver recieved a viable QB in return, what do you think they will do with all of their picks? There are lots of questions and even more options. Don't forget, next year's picks are still a valuable commodity as well....especially considering the QB crop will be richer in 2010.

I'm hoping to get some insight from you fellow Broncos fans. (or anyone that reads this for that matter)

Is Orton their starter?
With similar offers on the table from Chicago and Washington, Denver opted to go with Chicago despite Washington having the higher 2009 first round pick (#13 vs #18). Did Orton seal the deal? Both Campbell and Orton had flashes of excellence jumbled together with bouts of mediocrity, but overall I think they both showed progression. McDaniels however, didn't want Campbell which would lead me to believe that's why Washington was trying to get a second round pick for him, but failed. If Orton was that important in the deal, what does that tell you about the upcoming draft? Several analysts have already said that Orton is a system quarterback and will do well in Denver's new offense and I can't help but agree. He now has two explosive WRs, a TE that catches as well as Olsen, and most importantly two future Pro Bowl tackles to keep him upright. He is lacking a Matt Forte, but there are enough tools in place for him to excel. SO, if this is true....

Does Denver even dare package their two #1's and move up for Sanchez?
I sure as hell hope not. BJ Raji might fall to #12 now that he's tested positive for drugs and there are still a handful of LBs/DEs to take at #18 that would help immensely. To me that would make the most sense. But let's say that Denver swaps their two first rounders with Seattle and takes Sanchez. Now what? Orton takes the reins for one year and then hands it over to Sanchez? Open competition from Day 1 of training camp? That would seem to deemphasize the whole Orton vs. Campbell scenario from above. I don't see the logic in keeping three possible starting QBs on the roster. Denver will bypass Sanchez, see how well Orton or Simms do in the offense and choose a QB next year if need be. Defense is the priority.

Any more free agents worth grabbing?
Now armed with all these picks, what else could we get besides rookies? Peppers or Boldin for a first rounder, or maybe even a second? Either player would be a boon. Imagine the grin Orton would have seeing Marshall, Boldin, and Royal out wide. Don't need much of a running game with quality WRs like that. What about Peppers? Sure he'd command a big paycheck as well, but can't you see him and Dumervil teaming up to wreak havoc on QBs? And here's a longshot, but say Orton wasn't the exact guy McD was after.....he wanted Quinn, but it was too complicated to do a three-way. Get Quinn from Cleveland for a first and ship Orton out for a third rounder. Harsh, but possible.

*Edit* Forgot about Shaun Rogers! Perhaps a package of picks for Quinn and Rogers?

I'm looking forward to reading about all the rumors and stories coming out of Denver and Chicago now that this trade has gone down as well as the new mock drafts. As much as I admired Cutler, I can't help but feel relieved that the whole ordeal is over. Time to embrace a new era in Denver and at least give McDaniels a chance.
Last edited by Cupertino_11 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do you think Denver is done trading?

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:34 am

Well, well....more info is available.

Quinn was first choice

This may not be done yet. Personally I'd prefer Quinn, but let's see if the Broncos still want to pursue this.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Denver Broncos