Beans, Beans good for the heart... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Beans, Beans good for the heart...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Beans, Beans good for the heart...

Postby Tyeattolah » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:09 pm

I haven't been able to search on line for the photo yet because I'm on a business trip...but the picture is priceless:

From USA Today: Page 6A
Blast Damages Lenin Statue: A hole from a bomb blast mars one of Russia's best known statues.

8-o :-D :-b

sorry, heres another link...http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29990918/
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Beans, Beans good for the heart...

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:58 pm

That is a funny image, but I do not find the act of art being damaged or destroyed funny at all, no matter how controversial the piece or subject matter.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Beans, Beans the musical fruit,
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel,
so lets have beans for every meal.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:50 pm

i have been uber-gassy today
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Metroid wrote:That is a funny image, but I do not find the act of art being damaged or destroyed funny at all, no matter how controversial the piece or subject matter.

Lenin statues have fared much better than Stalin's - almost all of Stalin's (many hundreds) were destroyed, while most of Lenin's survived - there's even 5 in the U.S. including this one in Seattle:

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby confused_jake » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:18 am

It's funny, but its a piece of history. Things like that should remain intact.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:50 am

confused_jake wrote:It's funny, but its a piece of history. Things like that should remain intact.

Exactly. This is sorta how I felt when that statue of Saddam was ripped down. No matter how despicable the subject matter is it's still a piece of art, it's part of history, and it at least belongs in a museum somewhere. At the same time I do recognize the symbolism in tearing that statue down so I'm a little torn. This sort of thing has been happening for thousands and thousands of years though, one culture or regime topples another and then tries to remove them from history by destroying their identity. It's unfortunate and you'd think we would know better by now.
Metroid

Postby joejlitz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:34 am

Metroid wrote:
confused_jake wrote:It's funny, but its a piece of history. Things like that should remain intact.

Exactly. This is sorta how I felt when that statue of Saddam was ripped down. No matter how despicable the subject matter is it's still a piece of art, it's part of history, and it at least belongs in a museum somewhere. At the same time I do recognize the symbolism in tearing that statue down so I'm a little torn. This sort of thing has been happening for thousands and thousands of years though, one culture or regime topples another and then tries to remove them from history by destroying their identity. It's unfortunate and you'd think we would know better by now.

As an Army guy, I loved that they tore that statue of Saddam down. That didn't stop me from grabbing some pix on his parade field though:

and this one:

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Tyeattolah » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:30 pm

You da man Joelitz...as an AIr Force guy, I would have to say watching the people topple Saddam's statue was poetic! Hogwash on this non-violent stuff... :-D

OK, so blowing a hole in Lenin's a$$ maybe was a little much, but..."that's just funny, I don't care who you are" (Larry the Cable Guy)
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm not talking about "non-violent stuff" or pacifism I'm talking about the destruction of art.
Metroid

Return to General Talk