North Korea launches missle - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

North Korea launches missle

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: North Korea launches missle

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:08 am

I'm saying that I think the US--and the rest of the UN Security Council--have a lot of gall telling another country that they can't test and improve their military capabilities. Do I think North Korea have a strong military is a good thing for regional and world security? Of course not. But then, that can be said about just about every country in the world. And the last time I checked North Korea hadn't, you know, started any preemptive wars lately. Basically, I don't think any nation with a military of its own has the right to tell another nation what they can and can't do with their's.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:21 am

Art Vandelay wrote:It cracks me up when some countries try to tell other countries that they have to stop military testing, or stop working toward developing certain technologies, like nukes. If I ran North Korea, I'd be testing missiles daily.

If I ran North Korea I'd be more concerned with feeding my people and bringing my country out of the dark ages.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guru13 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:40 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm saying that I think the US--and the rest of the UN Security Council--have a lot of gall telling another country that they can't test and improve their military capabilities. Do I think North Korea have a strong military is a good thing for regional and world security? Of course not. But then, that can be said about just about every country in the world. And the last time I checked North Korea hadn't, you know, started any preemptive wars lately. Basically, I don't think any nation with a military of its own has the right to tell another nation what they can and can't do with their's.

We're America, we want to be the most powerful nation in the world and we don't want any threats, so we tell people what to do - sometimes we do it through the U.N., either way it makes perfect sense. North Korea hates us so we don't want them to attain the ability to hit us with a nuclear warhead.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:26 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:It cracks me up when some countries try to tell other countries that they have to stop military testing, or stop working toward developing certain technologies, like nukes. If I ran North Korea, I'd be testing missiles daily.

If I ran North Korea I'd be more concerned with feeding my people and bringing my country out of the dark ages.

I'm sure Europe feels the same way about the US.

In any case, North Korea basically uses its military testing to get these things. They screw around with nuclear reactors for a few months or a couple of years and then they leverage the promise to stop doing so to get economic aid. As crazy of things as you hear coming out of North Korea, it's not like they've ever really started anything since they've been partitioned.
North Korea hates us so we don't want them to attain the ability to hit us with a nuclear warhead.

Well, I don't want anyone to really have the ability to hit us with a nuclear warhead, but I haven't seen much in the way of proof that North Korea hates us. Is Kim Jong Il crazy? Probably. Is he an ego-maniac? All signs point to yes. Has he taken a systematic effort to undermine US interests? Only in the South Park movie.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guru13 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Matthias wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

In any case, North Korea basically uses its military testing to get these things. They screw around with nuclear reactors for a few months or a couple of years and then they leverage the promise to stop doing so to get economic aid. As crazy of things as you hear coming out of North Korea, it's not like they've ever really started anything since they've been partitioned.
North Korea hates us so we don't want them to attain the ability to hit us with a nuclear warhead.

Well, I don't want anyone to really have the ability to hit us with a nuclear warhead, but I haven't seen much in the way of proof that North Korea hates us. Is Kim Jong Il crazy? Probably. Is he an ego-maniac? All signs point to yes. Has he taken a systematic effort to undermine US interests? Only in the South Park movie.

well agreed, I'd rather not anyone have the ability to hit us with a nuclear warhead - but especially a crazy ego-maniac that really, come on - probably hates us.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 pm

So... was there a satellite actually deployed, as they claimed and Russia agreed with, or no satellite, as NORAD said?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:06 pm

It was most likely a ballistic missile test, and the "satellite launch" was the cover. They have no need of satellites in N. Korea. Any satellite data they need they can get from the Russians. What they're doing is marketing a ballistic missile that can deliver payloads from Iran to Israel. If it could get from N. Korea to the U.S. all the better, but that's not specifically what they want.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:38 pm

scottaa1 wrote:So... was there a satellite actually deployed, as they claimed and Russia agreed with, or no satellite, as NORAD said?

Here's a photo of the actual launch. I doubt a satellite was deployed.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:47 pm

That looks like they launched it out of a bong attached to a blender. As for the rest of the pic, it sorta reminds me of my sex life. O:-)

But seriously, Japan has AEGIS destroyers with the proper intercept missiles, the US is keeping Tico's/Burkes on hand, it'll all simmer down. They tested a missile, big deal. A sovereign nation can do that. The big question is will they be responsible with them or not.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Matthias wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

That's true, but the nuke scare is a recent phenom, whereas the people of North Korea have been living in abject poverty for decades, often without basic necessities. Their living conditions are abysmal, especially when compared to South Korea. And, as with most communist regimes, no one is allowed to leave (what was it JFK said about democracy not being perfect, but at least we don't build walls to keep our pepole in).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk