RC: Couldn't freaking care less about baseball - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

RC: Couldn't freaking care less about baseball

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: RC: Couldn't freaking care less about baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:37 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Leaning further and further towards baseball and further and further away from football. Just a lot more going on in baseball... :-o

x2. I've always slightly leaned towards baseball, but it's becoming more so now, for whatever reason. I need to enjoy today though, because it's probably the last time all season my O's will be over .500.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:13 am

bungle613 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
knapplc wrote:I "feel like" football is far more action-packed than baseball, too. It seems that way, even though logically I know it isn't.

Did you all know that baseball is the only major sport in the world where the defense possesses the ball?

That's interesting my knappy little wizard, but I'm not sure there are that many major world sports. Soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey...probably crickett but in that sport the defense possesses the ball.

There is no defense in golf or auto racing (well, no ball either).

Anything else?

Last I checked, there is a ball in golf. :-b

And in auto racing, blocking your opponent and preventing them from passing you is considered defense. B-)

But to add to the odd (?) stuff in sports, there's no defense in bowling. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:02 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:He does! He hangs over there so much they made him a Cafeholic on the Dark Side. Omaha, you traitor! :-C :-[ :-t

No, they haven't given me a mug over there yet. :~( !+) :-B

They don't like me over there. Ask anybody. That's why I hang out here. You guys at least tolerate me. :,-( :-D

That is a travishamockery! You're way more of a fixture over there than I am, or Met. I'm sorry... I just assumed.

You and Deeray should be 'holics over there before me. Clearly this is an oversight. I'll put a bug in Amazinz' ear.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:04 am

Madison wrote:
bungle613 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:That's interesting my knappy little wizard, but I'm not sure there are that many major world sports. Soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey...probably crickett but in that sport the defense possesses the ball.

There is no defense in golf or auto racing (well, no ball either).

Anything else?

Last I checked, there is a ball in golf. :-b

And in auto racing, blocking your opponent and preventing them from passing you is considered defense. B-)

But to add to the odd (?) stuff in sports, there's no defense in bowling. ;-D

I was saying there was no defense in golf (1st independant thought) and no defense or ball in auto racing (2nd independant thought). Mad's right to a point. There is stategy in auto racing but it would be arguable if it would be called defense. Don't even start with bowling, though. Then we'll start talking about whether darts, billiards, poker, and Wii tennis are all sports :-b

I guess all I reall wanted to get out of my post was that there aren't that many "world sports" and saying that baseball is the only one where the defense has the ball is not only inaccurate but not much of an accomplishment since we've only identified 5 world sports that have a ball and play defense (giving an exception to hockey which uses a puck). Of those sports, two play defense (baseball and crickett).
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Stelly » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:28 am

While I love Fantasy Football, baseball is BY FAR my favorite sport. So needless to say, I'm pretty excited right now.

Funny...football is probably my 3rd favorite sport (behind baseball and hockey), but I love the Fantasy aspect of it more than the others.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bungle613 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:46 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Leaning further and further towards baseball and further and further away from football. Just a lot more going on in baseball... :-o

x2. I've always slightly leaned towards baseball, but it's becoming more so now, for whatever reason. I need to enjoy today though, because it's probably the last time all season my O's will be over .500.

Someone push the leaners over.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:That reminds me Baseball Cafe Games are up check them out. Thanks for the plug Lung.

aaawall91 wrote:I dispiese baseball for a few reasons.

but not as much as you abhort hockey, loathae basketball, detestes soccer, scorm rugby and dislime cricket right?

Bisebol been berry berry gud to me.

Oh god...saw that coming, my Firefox broke and I'm too lazy to fix it and I don't have that autospell checker on IE... :-°
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Also...question...idk if anyone can answer it (I can't either...).

But in hockey (strickly hockey) when is a team defined as "on offense"?
1) Once the team leaves the defensive zone with the puck?
2) Once the team posses the puck?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:11 am

confused_jake wrote:Baseball is the only sport where i have a true "team". I've been a dodgers fan my whole life. So yeah, i'm excited for baseball season! ;-D

So what you trying to tell us is you enjoy Orel? :-D

Angels 4 Life
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:27 am

aaawall91 wrote:Also...question...idk if anyone can answer it (I can't either...).

But in hockey (strickly hockey) when is a team defined as "on offense"?
1) Once the team leaves the defensive zone with the puck?
2) Once the team posses the puck?

I thought of that too, but figured it was too nitpicky to bring it up, but since YOU did: I'm no expert, but I believe the defense (including the goalie) can possess the puck. I believe they are considered to be going on offense once they start moving in that direction. Some may say not until they cross their opponent's blue line should they be considered to be on offense. I suppose that's arguable, as well. But with possession in their own zone, in the corner, up against the boards fighting to maintain possession, I think we could easily say that the defense has possession.

A similar argument might be made for soccer, too! :-?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk