Bengals sign Tank Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bengals sign Tank Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bengals sign Tank Johnson

Postby stomperrob » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Former Cowboys DT Johnson lands with Bengals
Posted: Around The Web | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, Tank Johnson
Tuesday, April 7 2009

Former Cowboys DT Tank Johnson has signed with the Cincinnati Bengals, according to the Dallas Morning News:

After visiting with Cincinnati recently, Johnson signed with the Bengals on Tuesday. He is (the) fourth free agent to leave the Cowboys this off-season, joining Chris Canty (Giants), Kevin Burnett (San Diego) and Joe Berger (Miami). I’m not sure on the terms of the deal, just that one has been struck.

Johnson played in 16 games for the Cowboys last season, starting once, against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 16. He finished the season with 22 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble.

NFL.com’s Steve Wyche confirmed the move.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/07/former- ... h-bengals/
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bengals sign Tank Johnson

Postby bungle613 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:44 am

Why?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mattb47 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:37 am

Well...it is the Bengals. Just too tempting to see those guys with questionable character out there without a team.

+/- 2 weeks until they try to grab Plaxico Burress? :-b
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dmacblue » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:03 pm

Tank Johnson is a piece of garbage...and I'm talking about as a person, not just a washed up player.

He is one of many that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the NFL. :-t

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 am

This is unbelievable. The Bengals mentioned two years ago (if I remember correctly) that they really needed to improve the character of the players in the locker room. Then they went and brought Chris Henry back last year. [head shaking] Now they go and sign Tank Johnson. This must be incredibly frustrating for Bengals Nation.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:18 pm

joejlitz wrote:This is unbelievable. The Bengals mentioned two years ago (if I remember correctly) that they really needed to improve the character of the players in the locker room. Then they went and brought Chris Henry back last year. [head shaking] Now they go and sign Tank Johnson. This must be incredibly frustrating for Bengals Nation.

What exactly did Tank Johnson do that makes him such a villain? As far as I recall the guy had some gun possession charges against him and got into an argument with the law at a nightclub when his driver was arrested. After that I remember reading a story about the guy that he was made out to be a much worse person than he actually was and that the Cowboys did well to give him another chance.

Tank Johnson has made some mistakes, but he is not the bumbling idiot like a lot of these other guys are that Cincinnati has had problems with in recent years.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:24 pm

That's the same question I was about to ask, there's alot of overreactiong going on...He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the NFL? I'd love for someone to tell me why, but Leonard Little is still racking up sacks in STL after killing someone drunk behind the wheel.

You didn't hear a peep out Tank with Dallas, he just didn't fit because we ran a 3-4 and he got pushed around quite a bit, in a 4-3 it fits his strengths much better, but since he was suspended for his guns you haven't heard a thing from, or about him...I can list a laundry list of names of players who are FAR more trouble then Tank ever was and are still playing, or had more chances.

I'm not a fan of the guy or anything because his impact here was minimal and strictly depth, but he's far from a bad person or a trouble maker.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:This is unbelievable. The Bengals mentioned two years ago (if I remember correctly) that they really needed to improve the character of the players in the locker room. Then they went and brought Chris Henry back last year. [head shaking] Now they go and sign Tank Johnson. This must be incredibly frustrating for Bengals Nation.

What exactly did Tank Johnson do that makes him such a villain? As far as I recall the guy had some gun possession charges against him and got into an argument with the law at a nightclub when his driver was arrested. After that I remember reading a story about the guy that he was made out to be a much worse person than he actually was and that the Cowboys did well to give him another chance.

Tank Johnson has made some mistakes, but he is not the bumbling idiot like a lot of these other guys are that Cincinnati has had problems with in recent years.

It's hard to have these discussions with you, Kensat, because you are consistently pro-player and I am consistantly pro-management. But you just answered your own question. The Bengals said they were going to stop bringing in guys with character issues. Then, they brought back Chris Henry. They signed Tank Johnson who has had several run ins with the law. And now they have another player who recently had a DUI. In my opinion, that must be frustrating for Bengals fans.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby mattb47 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:23 pm

Yea...I'm also not saying that Tank is this terrible person who shouldn't have another chance...but for a team trying to avoid the continual character concerns they've had over the years with their players, signing Tank wasn't exactly a move in that direction.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dmacblue » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:39 pm

He has multiple weapons convictions.

Whilst on probation for unlawfully carrying a weapon outside a nightclub, he was found to have 6 unlicensed weapons in his house. At least 2 were ASSAULT RIFLES! At least 2 weapons were loaded....and elsewhere in the homes his kids played......

He ended up in jail for that little ditty.

During the raid on the home, his best friend gets busted with drugs. 2 days later he and Tank are out clubbing and the buddy ends up in a fight with some gang thug (apparently there's history there) and gets murdered...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I make some allowances for the Cowboys having made Dallas locals subconsciously immune to such obscene behavior, but really...... :-t

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Next

Return to Football Talk