Bengals sign Tank Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bengals sign Tank Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Bengals sign Tank Johnson

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:02 am

dmacblue wrote:

I dont see the confusion, the man had a PREVIOUS conviction for having a weapon outside of a nightclub, THEN broke his probation by having drugs (his bodyguards, killed 2 days later in a club in an ongoing dispute with a gang member) and assualt weapons etc (illegally) in his home.

Add to that the company he keeps/kept.

Its not that weapons shouldnt be owned.....lets not muddy the waters here

In my eyes, he doesnt meet the criteria for someone that is responsible enough to be having loaded weapons laying around. :-?

Would you let your kids go and hang out at Casa Johnson?

I'm not condoning anything that Tank has done, you don't have to explain as if I'm trying to make passes for him, I'm just trying to understand how you felt so strongly about Tank, the stuff about his bodyguard has nothing to do with him or he would be in jail for it other then associating himself with the wrong crowd...Maybe he did have assault weapons in his home, I know people who have ninja swords and ninja stars in their house too, I certainly don't condone it because I think it's pretty stupid but I'm not ready to banish the guy from the league and let the knuckleheads who get drunk and drive everytime they want to do to the club dance around freely.

No he doesn't meet the criteria for someone that is responsible enough to have loaded weapons, I never said he did...I also wouldn't let my kids hang around Tank and his house but what does that have to do with the conversation at all? I wouldn't let my kids hang around alot of people, that has nothing to do with Tank being "trash" for owning guns and banishing him all together.

You want this guy sitting in the office, cubicle whatever next to you? Do you want this guy employed by the same company you work for? Personally, it doesn't bother me that much as I have people I call friends that have done some really stupid things. BUT, I fully understand where, my guess, the majority of people will come from on this issue. IT is not a right to earn a living or play football. IF some of these owners would police their owns teams instead of having the NFL do it for them, the league may not have all this criticism levied against it.

I see what your saying, but Tank's rapsheet looks like a Barney story compared to Jeremy Stevens...I read about guys like Stevens who has done everything under the sun literally, and Leonard Little who gets drunk and kills a woman, and then gets drunk again behind the wheel soon after, Ray Lewis was involved in an actual murder, Dante Stallworth killed a person behind the wheel, the list goes on and on...Tank gets no free pass, but there are far worse so it's hard for me to just bash the guy when I don't hear the same criticism about other athletes.
Last edited by LS2throwed on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:01 am

dmacblue wrote: For me, its not about the caliber of the weapon, its about the caliber of the person retaining the weapon!

Awesome statement dmac.
As for carrying 24/7, it isn't only high profile people that do it. A concealed carry permit is easily attainable in many states, but admittedly harder in others. It just depends on where you live or want to carry.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joejlitz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:15 am

LS2throwed wrote:I see what your saying, but Tank's rapsheet looks like a Barney story compared to Jeremy Stevens...I read about guys like Stevens who has done everything under the sun literally, and Leonard Little who get drunk and kill a woman, and then get drunk again behind the wheel soon after, Ray Lewis was involved in an actual murder, Dante Stallworth killed a person behind the wheel, the list goes on and on...Tank gets no free pass, but there are far worse so it's hard for me to just bash the guy when I don't hear the same criticism about other athletes.

I guess for me (and before you comment let me say this is an OVER-simplification), these guys all get filed into one category: someone I don't want on my team. It's pointless to sit here and judge all of these athletes on each of their individual cases. We could find something different to argue about in each player and their circumstances.

What matters to me is that they all have bad judgment and that bad judgment has led them to act in such a manner whereby the police have gotten involved, they have had to go to court, the national media covers it, and they have drug the name of their franchise through the mud. Tank's rap sheet may not be as long or as serious as others, but to those who value character, he is a liability all the same.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby dmacblue » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:58 am

LS2..Ive always had a a great respect for you and I enjoy your postings; I hope we can just agree to differ slightly on this subject ;-D

Again, it nothing at all to do with people in general owning guns, its just people like Tank owning guns that I am concerned about.

My Louisianan neighbor has a 'shop' built in his yard, where we all hang out and watch the football and he cooks up anything that takes his Cajun taste, from Cattle to freakin Owl or Blue Heron or whatever :-b The dude also has enough weaponry to start his own mini militia, yet is entirely trustworthy and upstanding.

Unless you are a deer, dove, elk, any other critter that could conceivably be cooked with some 'Slap Ya Mama Cajun spice mix' , or a horny teenager with deviant thoughts about his 18 year old daughter....you are in absolutely no danger at all of being shot!

In retrospect the phrase 'trash' was harsh, probably not the best, and I should have thought better prior to using it. I'll retract that phrase, and just say that Tank is one of many people (by no means the worst) that I personally dont think are suitable for employment in the NFL.

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:00 pm

dmacblue wrote:LS2..Ive always had a a great respect for you and I enjoy your postings; I hope we can just agree to differ slightly on this subject ;-D

Again, it nothing at all to do with people in general owning guns, its just people like Tank owning guns that I am concerned about.

My Louisianan neighbor has a 'shop' built in his yard, where we all hang out and watch the football and he cooks up anything that takes his Cajun taste, from Cattle to freakin Owl or Blue Heron or whatever :-b The dude also has enough weaponry to start his own mini militia, yet is entirely trustworthy and upstanding.

Unless you are a deer, dove, elk, any other critter that could conceivably be cooked with some 'Slap Ya Mama Cajun spice mix' , or a horny teenager with deviant thoughts about his 18 year old daughter....you are in absolutely no danger at all of being shot!

In retrospect the phrase 'trash' was harsh, probably not the best, and I should have thought better prior to using it. I'll retract that phrase, and just say that Tank is one of many people (by no means the worst) that I personally dont think are suitable for employment in the NFL.

No I see what you guys are saying, and I don't want to make it seem like I'm sticking up for anything Tank has done either, you guys are stuck with him one way or another and while I disagree with the move I at least think he should keep his nose clean and hopefully he can help you guys out on the field ;-D Tank deserves all the negative outlook he gets though he brought it on himself.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer