Viruses in security programs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Viruses in security programs

Postby stomperrob » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:12 am

Interesting piece...

Fear of viruses could be causing PC attacks: report
Wed Apr 8, 1:14 PM
By Bill Rigby

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Computer users' growing fear of worms and viruses could be behind a recent spike in attacks on PCs via bogus security software, according to a Microsoft Corp report published on Wednesday.

As the Conficker worm and other malicious software -- known as malware -- have grabbed headlines, more computer users have been looking for security programs online, some of which turn out to be agents for viruses themselves.

Out of hundreds of millions of PCs monitored by the world's largest software maker for its twice yearly Security Intelligence Report, seven of the 25 top security threats came in the form of fake security programs.

In the last six months of 2008, Microsoft said it cleared 4.4 million PCs of the most successful bogus security program, which goes under the name of Win32/Renos.

That is a 67 percent increase over the first half of 2008, said George Stathakopoulos, head of product security at Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing Group.

Fear of Conficker "could be a part of it," said Stathakopoulos, explaining the sudden jump in attacks from what Microsoft calls "rogue" security software, or "scareware".

According to the report, more security-conscious consumers are being tricked by insistent or alarming pop-up warnings into paying for protection which, unknown to them, is actually malware designed to steal personal information.

con't...

rest of article: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/0904 ... t_security
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Viruses in security programs

Postby Madison » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:27 am

Not too surprised really, I mean the majority of those that fall for the "your computer is infected!" pop up ads are probably the same people that think they won hundreds of millions of dollars in an email drawing from overseas. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Viruses in security programs

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:45 am

I had that Antivirus 2009 thing pop up and Malwarebytes fixed it.

Now every so often something weird happens. Sometimes when I am using the laptop mouse it is like something takes over. The more you move the mouse the more changes it makes in the computer. Then you can't click anymore unless you use the wireless mouse. Norton can't seem to get it and Malwarebytes doesn't either.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Return to General Talk