A thread for Travel Junkies... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

A thread for Travel Junkies...

Moderator: Football Moderators

A thread for Travel Junkies...

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Do share. B-)

I love to travel and see different places. I know there's a bunch of you who do too, so how about we share some of our experiences here?

I've been to exactly twenty countries, but probably the memory I treasure the most is not where I went, but how I got there. I had started sailing in Antigua and crewed on a couple different private yachts. I've got two trans-Atlantic crossings... one on a 110' luxury yacht, and one on a 76' sailboat. I had some pretty cool experiences on those two boats. One was a dolphin encounter like I've never heard of before, and another involved stopping the boat (no wind) and going swimming 1000 miles from land. Still two others involved near death experiences and others involved really hot chicks.

Anyway.

I love traveling and would like to hear about what you've done and where you've gone. So come on... :-)
Last edited by Nfl Fan on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A thread for those who like to travel...

Postby joejlitz » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:Do share. B-)

I love to travel and see different places. I know there's a bunch of you who do too, so how about we share some of our experiences here?

I've been to exactly twenty countries, but probably the memory I treasure the most is not where I went, but how I got there. I had started sailing in Antigua and crewed on a couple different private yachts. I've got two trans-Atlantic crossings... one on a 110' luxury yacht, and one on a 76' sailboat. I had some pretty cool experiences on those two boats. One was a dolphin encounter like I've never heard of before, and another involved stopping the boat (no wind) and going swimming 1000 miles from land. Still two others involved near death experiences and others involved really hot chicks.

Anyway.

I love traveling and would like to hear about what you've done and where you've gone. So come on... :-)

Aren't you still like, 22 years old? 20 countries? What up?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:01 pm

joejlitz wrote:Aren't you still like, 22 years old? 20 countries? What up?

You're too kind...
I'm about the oldest guy in the Cafe and have been married almost 22 years. :-°
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bungle613 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:44 am

Good topic.

I'm a bit of a travel snob. Don't like vacations very much. The North American version of the vacation there is no time to actually wind down, it is just more of a go and see stuff or if you are young, go and party.

I did a quick count and I think I am at 31 countries. Briefly...

U.S.A. (several times when very young and many more times since)

Ireland
England
Wales (family thing when I was 6)

Barbados
Antigua
St. Kitts
Aruba (family trips as a kid)

Ireland
England
Holland
Belgium
France
Spain
Italy
Switzerland
Austria
Czech
Poland
Slovakia
Hungary
Romania
Morocco
Algeria
Egypt (dropped out of school at 16 and went to Europe)

Northern Ireland (it is different)
Ireland
Holland
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Switzerland
Italy
Spain
Portugal
Austria
Lichenstein (not sure if it counts)
Hungary
Germany
Greece
Turkey (dropped out of life at 29 and went to Europe for 3 years)

There are multiple double and triple visits during those times as travelling in Europe is simlar to the states, you just have to cross over certain countries to get to a new one.

I have lived (been a rent payer) in Spain, Portugal, Hungary and Turkey. The only way I really want to travel is to have time to actually experience the country. 2 weeks doesn't cut it at all. I met one dude who did 9 countires in 7 days in Europe, my question to him was why would you want to do that? I actually joined the cafe while living in Portugal in 2003. Needed football info, found this joint and it stuck.

Met my wife in Portugal and our next travel plans are to move to Central or South America. Hopefully next year but should be no longer than 2 years. She will work for a large hotel chain (in school now to get her final papers) and I will raise our son and figure out something to do. Hopefully get to see 3-5 countires and then after a few years decide on where we want to buy and stay.

Would certainly not turn down a vacation but doing a minimum of 2 months in a country (not in a hotel) is easily my choice on how to travel.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:55 am

bungle613 wrote:Good topic.

I'm a bit of a travel snob. Don't like vacations very much. The North American version of the vacation there is no time to actually wind down, it is just more of a go and see stuff or if you are young, go and party.

I did a quick count and I think I am at 31 countries. Briefly...

U.S.A. (several times when very young and many more times since)

Ireland
England
Wales (family thing when I was 6)

Barbados
Antigua
St. Kitts
Aruba (family trips as a kid)

Ireland
England
Holland
Belgium
France
Spain
Italy
Switzerland
Austria
Czech
Poland
Slovakia
Hungary
Romania
Morocco
Algeria
Egypt (dropped out of school at 16 and went to Europe)

Northern Ireland (it is different)
Ireland
Holland
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Switzerland
Italy
Spain
Portugal
Austria
Lichenstein (not sure if it counts)
Hungary
Germany
Greece
Turkey (dropped out of life at 29 and went to Europe for 3 years)

There are multiple double and triple visits during those times as travelling in Europe is simlar to the states, you just have to cross over certain countries to get to a new one.

I have lived (been a rent payer) in Spain, Portugal, Hungary and Turkey. The only way I really want to travel is to have time to actually experience the country. 2 weeks doesn't cut it at all. I met one dude who did 9 countires in 7 days in Europe, my question to him was why would you want to do that? I actually joined the cafe while living in Portugal in 2003. Needed football info, found this joint and it stuck.

Met my wife in Portugal and our next travel plans are to move to Central or South America. Hopefully next year but should be no longer than 2 years. She will work for a large hotel chain (in school now to get her final papers) and I will raise our son and figure out something to do. Hopefully get to see 3-5 countires and then after a few years decide on where we want to buy and stay.

Would certainly not turn down a vacation but doing a minimum of 2 months in a country (not in a hotel) is easily my choice on how to travel.

Damn you get around. You must win alot of Fantasy Leagues. Luckily Movin the Chains is free so it ain't with my money.

I have been to a number of places in the US and Calgary once. Overseas I have been to Europe twice. I went on a Cruise through the Medetranian starting in Barcelona to Marasalle France, Nice France, Monaco/Monte Carlo, Saw Mt Versuvius, Sorrento, Malta, Florence Italy (Got the Folly there. Fake Rolex), Tuscany and Piza, Rome (proposed to my wife), then back to Spain.

The greatest part is we met a couple who is from Bakersfield who we still hang out with today.

I love travelling. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby bungle613 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:11 am

Yeah, honestly, anyone who has nevered really travelled, pick a spot and go. No expectations, no I must get my money out of this, just enjoy things.

I have seen alot of the things "famous" in the world and while they made an impact on me, Grand Canyon, Eiffel Tower etc.. it is all the small things experienced during travel you really remember.

A couple quick "it's a small world" things Cowboys4life Bakersfield sotry reminded me of.

I met a girl in Paris, Alison form Australia, same hostel room for a few days, just hung out. Met her again in Carcassonne, France 2 weeks later, Cinque Terre, Italy a month after that and Barcelona, Spain another few weeks later. There is a logical route to take but not on that timeframe, most people would cover that in 2 weeks, not 2 months.

My all time favourite small world story... my cousin was teaching in Japan for several years. She was at a sidewalk cafe and 2 elderly white ladies were on the corner looking confused. My cousin is quite nice so she went over to see if she could help. Start talking, one woman is from Toronto, conitnue talking, went to public school 50 years earlier with my mom and my mom's sister (my cousins 2 aunts)The woman got in touch with my mom after coming home and are once again friends after a 50 year pause.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:17 am

#1 Great thread.
#2 - Bungle, that is totally me as to how I like to vacation: up at 6 AM, out the door by 8, what can we do today???? Fill the whole day up with sight seeing and then at the end of the vacation be so exhausted that I need another vacation. My wife sort'a likes it, sort'a hates it. We took one vacation to Massanutten, VA for skiing and skiied thrice in 8 days and spent the rest of the time just relaxing by the fire, in the hot tub, in front of the TV, or whatever. I must say that was one of the vacations I remember the most.

As for my travels,

North America
USA
Canada
Mexico (Cabo San Lucas and Cancun)

Central America
Panama - lived and worked there three years and want to retire there
Costa Rica - white water rafting on the Pacuari river was the bomb!
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras

South America
Colombia - lived and worked there 6 months; Bogota, Cartagena, Santa Marta, etc.
Paraguay
Guyana - rivals Iraq for its "dirtiness"

Carribean
Trinidad
St. Maarten
The Bahamas - 19 years old, spring break, too drunk to remember :-{

Europe
Germany - one week in Wurzberg and Rothenburg in JAN...Brrr!
Turkey

Elsewhere
Aghanistan
Iraq
Uzbekistan

We absolutely loved Niagara Falls. We stayed on the Canadian side and will always remember that trip.
Stateside: Sedona, Arizona is the most beautiful city in the U.S. We're also considering living there for a few years after I get out of the Army.
Hawaii was a lot of fun. We went during Christmas to Oahu and Santa came up in a canoe. We got some good pix with our kid.
If you're going to Colombia, go to Cartagena. Beach/ocean, walled city, historical signficance, great food, reasonably priced.

Where do I want to go next? Alaskan cruise and scuba diving in Belize. Wife wants to go to Paris.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Tyeattolah » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:37 am

Love to travel and doing a whole lot of it now with my current job. I've been to 6 of the 7 continents, SOuth America is the only one I havent set foot on yet...one day!

USA

Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Kansas, Oklahoma, North and SOuth Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Oio, West Virginia, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, eorgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Virginia (born and raised), Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maine, Tennessee

Over the ponds:
Egypt
Japan
Iceland
Great Britain
Spain
Italy
Germany
France
Saudi Arabia
Azores
South Korea
New Zealand
Australia
Sweden
Austria
Greece
Puerto Rico
St Croix
St Thomas
and finally, I think, Antarctica
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:40 am

OK Joe, my wife and I are looking at Central or South America in the next 1-2 years. Will choose 3-5 countires to spend a year or so in each and then decide on where to buy something. Any insights on Panama? Why should it be a consideration for us?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:02 pm

I haven't yet been of the continent but I'm well traveled in the states...I've been to a total of 42 states. B-)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk