A thread for Travel Junkies... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

A thread for Travel Junkies...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: A thread for those who like to travel...

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:30 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:Having sailed over 30k miles at sea, I've been left with a dream of living on a sailboat (when the kids are both gone) and setting sail for wherever the wind may take us. There's nothing like spending a month stern-to the quay in places like Antigua or St. Tropez.

Right there with ya, mon. I'd love to spend my days sailing, diving, catching what's for dinner, and my evenings sailing into the sunset.

:-b

There was nothing like the trip on the sailboat from the Canary Islands to Antigua. Two weeks without seeing land, sailing into the sunset, and the biggest night sky I have ever seen. No engine... just the sounds of the sea, the wind, and the sails. It was a remarkable experience that I'll never forget.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:04 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:the biggest night sky I have ever seen.

I never understood what the milky way was until I saw it from far offshore... a wide swath of stars that literally created a whitewash effect to the heavens at night. Landlubbers don't get to experience that kind of thing. And some day I'd like to see the southern cross.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:35 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:the biggest night sky I have ever seen.

And some day I'd like to see the southern cross.

Yep, me too.
Seeing the Southern Cross means you were somewhere so far south of here that the whole night sky is different than the one we know. :-?

I knew some of the Cafe faithful were avid travelers, and I've seen some pretty extensive lists that include places I've never been. My travels are pretty confined to North America, the Caribbean, and a good swath of Western Europe; so I'd like to hear more about places like Greece, the Middle East, Israel, Morocco (I saw it from the Strait of Gibraltar, but never set foot), Egypt, the Galapogos, New Zealand, Australia, the Far East, etc.

I love the stories I'm hearing so far! ;-D

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bungle613 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:02 pm

Can fill you in a bit on some places.

To go with the sailing theme... certainly can't say I am a sailor but when we got into Turkey we were essentially broke and headed to the nearest hostel. The owner started in on us to take a boat cruise down the coast. Expalining that we would love to but have serious cash flow issues it wouldn't be possible. I think the cost was around $200 per person for 3 nights and 4 days with 3 meals a day included. i hour we kept turning him down over apple tea. The boat had already left, he needed to fill the last cabin... he finally hit $120 for me and Vicki (wife) less then the cost of the hostel. HE gets his nephew to drive us all over the place, bank (first withdrawal was $70 million turkish lira) liquor store, off to the harbour for a tiny little boat to ferry us out to the sailboat. Stunning, slept 12 in private cabins. Brilliant welcome to the country.

Other musts...

Cappadocia, Turkey... Paid $10 a night for the best bed ever in a cave hotel.

Pamukkale, Turkey... Still amazing, would have love to have seen it in its full glory.

Santorini, Greece... the stories are true, you just walk around amazed all the time.

Best line from a local in Greece... asking if the ferry is on schedule... maybe she come, maybe she don't. Fell in love with the place right there.

Hitched across the Austrian/Hungarian border at 3 a.m. Are you tramps? The burly, heavily armed border dude asks? Nope, Canadian backpackers...big smile returned by the STUNNING blonde, heavily armed, hot chick in full fatigues.

Czech Republic... I was only there in my teens but got sucked in for several months. Cesky Krumlov... a bums paradise... anything and everythign you want with a smile for next to nothing.

Morroco... it is different. You will get hassled, hussled and harrassed. Some ports are better than others and it seems to change every once in awhile. You just have to allow yourself to be apart of things and accept who's country YOU are in. Go to Fez and also find someone trustworthy to take you out in the middle of the dessert. Amazing.

Having hitched all over Europe, been to Romania, Hungary etc... during communism I can say that I felt safe almost everywhere. Certain situations I got MYSELF into could have been avoided. The only places I would say be more than just cautious would be port sities of Morroco, Barcelona (La Rambla) late at night or the port and Marseille, France. All tough cities.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:33 pm

bungle613 wrote:Best line from a local in Greece... asking if the ferry is on schedule... maybe she come, maybe she don't. Fell in love with the place right there.

Reminds me of a best line from a local on Rome.

We'd just showed up at a cheap downtown hotel. I'd just paid the large, sweet, Italian lady who was sitting on a little stool. I asked if I should get a receipt. She looked at me a little confused and then smiled, patted her chest, and in her heavy accent said, "Nooo... I'm your mama..."

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bungle613 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:13 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Best line from a local in Greece... asking if the ferry is on schedule... maybe she come, maybe she don't. Fell in love with the place right there.

We'd just showed up at a cheap downtown hotel. I'd just paid the large, sweet, Italian lady who was sitting on a little stool. I asked if I should get a receipt. She looked at me a little confused and then smiled, patted her chest, and in her heavy accent said, "Nooo... I'm your mama..."

Nice...

My favourite language gap moment was in El Puerto De Santa Maria, Spain where we ended up living for awhile. Went into a local "irish pub" and had a few pints. Talked to everyone and actually ended up getting a job that night and still are friends with a couple of them to this day. So, a few pints in and I ask the bartender...

"when you are free, can I get a rye and ginger ale?"

Sure, he says. 10 more ryes and the night starts to wind down. Vicki and I and our new friends ask for a dozen beers to go and the bill. Bartender looks confused... no bill he says... What do you mean no bill? you asked for free rye and ginger ale... that is what I gave you. Dude wouldn't take any money even after an explanation. Laughed our asses off, bought a few rounds of shots and took our dozen beers to the next party. In a Toronto bar, it would have been $300+ of booze. Love Europe!
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:34 pm

bungle613 wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:

Nice...

My favourite language gap moment was in El Puerto De Santa Maria, Spain where we ended up living for awhile. Went into a local "irish pub" and had a few pints. Talked to everyone and actually ended up getting a job that night and still are friends with a couple of them to this day. So, a few pints in and I ask the bartender...

"when you are free, can I get a rye and ginger ale?"

Sure, he says. 10 more ryes and the night starts to wind down. Vicki and I and our new friends ask for a dozen beers to go and the bill. Bartender looks confused... no bill he says... What do you mean no bill? you asked for free rye and ginger ale... that is what I gave you. Dude wouldn't take any money even after an explanation. Laughed our asses off, bought a few rounds of shots and took our dozen beers to the next party. In a Toronto bar, it would have been $300+ of booze. Love Europe!

You must live a charmed life, 'cause I can't imagine that story EVER flying for me! :-b

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby houstonherdfan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Spent 4 years in the Navy with much traveling. Saw pretty much all of the coastal countries there. Also went to Egypt and Israel. Took some leave in France to celebrate my 21st birthday. When on a tour in Israel part of the tour was to retrace the steps Jesus walked with the cross. Both of those were pretty cool.

About half the islands in the carribean (ship most often cruising area -- looking for Russian subs around Cuba. Every time out stop at 1 or 2 different islands.

Went on a UNITAS cruise, a good will trip around south america. The only nice parts of that was Rio (and if you can imagine something, it will be available in Rio) and the trip back through the panama canal.

The only place I really care about visiting any more outside the states in Australia. Too much stuff I have not seen in my own country.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby joejlitz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:36 pm

Anybody ever vacationed at a Sandals resort? I've got two weeks of leave and my wife and I are planning a trip to Jamaica at one of the Sandals resorts. It's adults-only, all-inclusive (including water and other activities - like SCUBA!), and the pictures on the web-site show some great looking shots.

Anyone's comments here would be appreciated!

Note: This will not be a touring vacation of Jamaica. We are gonna stay at the resort. Sleep late, go to the beach, eat whatever we want, and have romantic evenings without all of the stress of an itinerary. I CAN'T WAIT!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:08 pm

joejlitz wrote:Anybody ever vacationed at a Sandals resort? I've got two weeks of leave and my wife and I are planning a trip to Jamaica at one of the Sandals resorts. It's adults-only, all-inclusive (including water and other activities - like SCUBA!), and the pictures on the web-site show some great looking shots.

Anyone's comments here would be appreciated!

Note: This will not be a touring vacation of Jamaica. We are gonna stay at the resort. Sleep late, go to the beach, eat whatever we want, and have romantic evenings without all of the stress of an itinerary. I CAN'T WAIT!

I've looked at Sandals, but it's pretty pricey for me.

We went to Jamaica several years ago... without a hotel reservation. We spent three of the days in an all-inclusive over on the Negril side. Poinciana was the name (or something like that). It was pretty reasonable. But Sandals is the best, or so I've heard. The airport is an absolute nightmare! It made my wife cry. The venders have a gauntlet set up so if you don't know what you're doing and where you're going... it's pretty crazy.

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk