A thread for Travel Junkies... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

A thread for Travel Junkies...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: A thread for those who like to travel...

Postby joejlitz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
joejlitz wrote:Anybody ever vacationed at a Sandals resort? I've got two weeks of leave and my wife and I are planning a trip to Jamaica at one of the Sandals resorts. It's adults-only, all-inclusive (including water and other activities - like SCUBA!), and the pictures on the web-site show some great looking shots.

Anyone's comments here would be appreciated!

Note: This will not be a touring vacation of Jamaica. We are gonna stay at the resort. Sleep late, go to the beach, eat whatever we want, and have romantic evenings without all of the stress of an itinerary. I CAN'T WAIT!

I've looked at Sandals, but it's pretty pricey for me.

We went to Jamaica several years ago... without a hotel reservation. We spent three of the days in an all-inclusive over on the Negril side. Poinciana was the name (or something like that). It was pretty reasonable. But Sandals is the best, or so I've heard. The airport is an absolute nightmare! It made my wife cry. The venders have a gauntlet set up so if you don't know what you're doing and where you're going... it's pretty crazy.

Thanks! Sandals is running a special for 60% off through the 23rd, so we're gonna get a beach side villa (or beach view, I forget) for about $1300 for five days/four nights. When you consider it's all-inclusive, it's still pricey, but it's our one get-away we're probably ever gonna get. My aunt is babysitting the kids and we don't have anyone else to do it and I felt bad asking her in the first place. So...we're going all out! ;-D

Anyone else who has Sandals information, please tell!
Last edited by joejlitz on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:30 pm

bungle613 wrote:The only places I would say be more than just cautious would be port sities of Morroco, Barcelona (La Rambla) late at night or the port and Marseille, France. All tough cities.

Personally, I never had any problems in Barcelona in the wee hours but I also roam around with my cousins who speak Catalan so as to not look like a tourist without a clue especially when club hopping (unfortunately my Catalan is rusty at best !+)). It's true that you have to be on guard with the scams or pickpockets there, but I don't find it any different from say, Italy.

As for Marseille, I think I've gone on record saying it's my favorite French city and I stand by that. It's gritty, diverse, and it's still on the Cote d'Azur. Just make sure you're not in the wrong neighborhoods when it's dark.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:18 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
bungle613 wrote:The only places I would say be more than just cautious would be port sities of Morroco, Barcelona (La Rambla) late at night or the port and Marseille, France. All tough cities.

Personally, I never had any problems in Barcelona in the wee hours but I also roam around with my cousins who speak Catalan so as to not look like a tourist without a clue especially when club hopping (unfortunately my Catalan is rusty at best !+)). It's true that you have to be on guard with the scams or pickpockets there, but I don't find it any different from say, Italy.

As for Marseille, I think I've gone on record saying it's my favorite French city and I stand by that. It's gritty, diverse, and it's still on the Cote d'Azur. Just make sure you're not in the wrong neighborhoods when it's dark.

Agreed, no "fear" in either city but if you are the dumb tourist, be careful. La Rambla in my experience is a fairly big target for the kids to find someone to pick or scam. Walking the actual Rambla is fine at anytime, don't do the back alleys when smashed, you will more than likely be a target.

AS for Marseille, I loved it to. Very brief time there, only a few days but a REAL city. Just don't be stupid and you will be fine. Same goes for anywhere really.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 pm

joejlitz wrote:Thanks! Sandals is running a special for 60% off through the 23rd, so we're gonna get a beach side villa (or beach view, I forget) for about $1300 for five days/four nights. When you consider it's all-inclusive, it's still pricey, but it's our one get-away we're probably ever gonna get. My aunt is babysitting the kids and we don't have anyone else to do it and I felt bad asking her in the first place. So...we're going all out! ;-D

Anyone else who has Sandals information, please tell!

Dude... for Sandals, that's a smokin deal!! Jump on it and have a great time. B-) ;-D

BTW, which resort? There are a couple. I wouldn't suggest Montego Bay as the best destination and I liked Negril, for what it's worth. Either way, if you're just hanging at the resort, you'll have a blast! Personally, I like Jamaica alot. They say you gotta watch where you go at night, but I never had any trouble. You'll get the offer to buy ganja about a billion times and there are a few hustles.

Still, I really like the Caribbean people. Just talking about it makes me want to go again.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:14 am

Sandals Negril. The saleslady said it was the most romantic one of the bunch. I'm booking it tonight!
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:42 am

joejlitz wrote:Sandals Negril. The saleslady said it was the most romantic one of the bunch. I'm booking it tonight!

Great choice. ;-D

One other thing, I hope your lady isn't one to get too upset at the sight of topless ladies. There's probably a restriction at Sandals, but there will be plenty of bare-naked boobies at pretty much every other beach in Negril.

The seven mile beach is a great way to spend all day walking from end to end, for what it's worth. Wear sunglasses and have fun. }:-) :-b

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:22 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
The seven mile beach is a great way to spend all day walking from end to end, for what it's worth. Wear sunglasses and a codpiece and have fun. }:-) :-b

fixed that for ya ;-) :-b
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:Dude... for Sandals, that's a smokin deal!! Jump on it and have a great time. B-) ;-D

BTW, which resort? There are a couple. I wouldn't suggest Montego Bay as the best destination and I liked Negril, for what it's worth. Either way, if you're just hanging at the resort, you'll have a blast! Personally, I like Jamaica alot. They say you gotta watch where you go at night, but I never had any trouble. You'll get the offer to buy ganja about a billion times and there are a few hustles.

Still, I really like the Caribbean people. Just talking about it makes me want to go again.

Yeah - I don't know what happened, but that deal wasn't there anymore :(

We looked around some more and decided on the Royal Bahamian in Nassau. Total - $3000 for a beach view room including air (and of course the all-inclusive on the resort). 5 days, 4 nights.

What the hell! I work hard enough!
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat May 30, 2009 4:54 pm

So looking forward to ...

... in two weeks for two weeks! :-) B-)

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 31, 2009 11:19 am

Man, that water's blue. Looks awesome NFL. Have a blast.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk