16 team league how many should go to playoff? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

16 team league how many should go to playoff?

Moderator: Football Moderators

16 team league how many should go to playoff?

Postby futureprodigy88 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:40 am

Have two conferences with each conference with 2 divisions (4 total). How many teams should I have go to the playoffs???? I was thinking of having 6...each divions winner and one wildcard from each conference...but that seems to little for a 16 team league. Any suggestions....maybe 8 or 10?????? how would you set it up????? i would like to give the top two seeds a bye...yes or no????

Conference 1
Divison A
4 teams
Division B
4 teams

Conferece 2
Division C
4 teams
Divsion D
4 teams
futureprodigy88
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 16 team league how many should go to playoff?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:48 pm

futureprodigy88 wrote:Have two conferences with each conference with 2 divisions (4 total). How many teams should I have go to the playoffs???? I was thinking of having 6...each divions winner and one wildcard from each conference...but that seems to little for a 16 team league. Any suggestions....maybe 8 or 10?????? how would you set it up????? i would like to give the top two seeds a bye...yes or no????

Conference 1
Divison A
4 teams
Division B
4 teams

Conferece 2
Division C
4 teams
Divsion D
4 teams

Personally, in a 16 team league I'd go with 6 playoff teams...8 tops. I think 8 is kinda too many, so I think 10 is way too many. But that's just me. Some people prefer to have a lot of teams make the playoffs, some don't. As long as all 16 owners agree, whatever the league decides is fine. ;-D

The main thing you need to think about is the playoffs. Having 8 playoff teams could cause a problem here. Let's say you start the playoffs in week 13 so you could end in week 16 (I NEVER play FF in week 17). Top 2 get a bye, then after the week there's 5 teams left. That won't work. You could have the top 4 from each conference make the playoffs. Then you could have each conference have a semi's & finals round...with the conference champs meeting in the championship game. That's the only way I can think of to have 8 teams work easily without multiple bye weeks or something crazy. You could do the playoffs in weeks 14-16 and avoid playing in week 17.

I'd stick with 6 teams. The 2 wild card teams might end up being from the same conference. Doing 8 teams the way I described above could cause a team to miss the playoffs with a better record than 1 or more of the playoff teams in the other conference.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby bungle613 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:39 am

HUGE fan of the 6 team playoff. Top 2 get first round byes and the other 4 fight it out in the first round. Rewards the top regular season owners.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby joejlitz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:34 am

bungle613 wrote:HUGE fan of the 6 team playoff. Top 2 get first round byes and the other 4 fight it out in the first round. Rewards the top regular season owners.

x 2. Being one of only 6 to make the playoffs is also a reward to the top teams. They don't have to risk a bad beat by an inferior team who swooped in on waivers and grabbed Billy Volek and rode him to the title.

When too many teams make the playoffs, then there is no reason to play the regular season, right Mr. Bettman?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby spodog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:56 pm

bungle613 wrote:HUGE fan of the 6 team playoff. Top 2 get first round byes and the other 4 fight it out in the first round. Rewards the top regular season owners.

Agree with bungle. Give top 2 seeds a 1st round bye.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner