Bucs sign Leftwich - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bucs sign Leftwich

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bucs sign Leftwich

Postby stomperrob » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Steelers offered him a 2 year contract but he wanted to go somewhere he could compete for the starting job

Bucs Agree To Terms With Leftwich
Posted April 12, 2009 by Roy Cummings
Updated Apr 12, 2009 at 10:57 AM
By ROY CUMMINGS
rcummings@tampatrib.com

TAMPA – The Bucs appear to have found their “fourth’’ quarterback in former Jaguars starter Byron Leftwich.

Leftwich, who visited the Bucs last week, has agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Bucs, sources have told The Tribune.

Leftwich spent all of last year serving as a backup to Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh. The Steelers reportedly offered Leftwich a two-year deal but he turned that down in the hopes of finding a better opportunity elsewhere.

He appears to have found it with the Bucs, who are looking for someone to push depth chart leader Luke McCown for the starter’s job.

Leftwich was looking for a team that would allow him to compete for a starter’s position and with the untested McCown at the top of the depth chart he appears to see Tampa as his best option.

The Bucs also have Brian Griese and Josh Johnson on board as quarterbacks and have a meeting scheduled for this week with potential draftee Josh Freeman, a prospect out of Kansas State.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C546/
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bucs sign Leftwich

Postby Wenchtamer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:19 pm

Nice.

Lord Byron showed he can still play last year, and some competition in training camp is a good thing.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby bungle613 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Quick...name the Steelers #2 QB.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Wenchtamer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Charlie Batch? Dennis Dixon? lol

another thought: This definitely increases the chances that we pass on Josh Freeman. Most mocks have us taking him, so I wonder who else is on Tampa's radar? Moreno? A linebacker? Defensive end?
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:54 pm

I'd probably put money on us working to re-sign Charlie Batch...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Good move for Leftwich and the Bucs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Leftwich manages to win the job out of camp. It would've been nice for the Steelers to keep him, but the Bucs offer a definite chance to start, while Pittsburgh has a pretty good starter I think. Roethlis-something. Good pick, Cowah. :-D

Pittsburgh will re-sign Charlie Batch or get another FA to be the backup. Dennis Dixon probably isn't ready for that responsibility yet.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:15 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Good move for Leftwich and the Bucs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Leftwich manages to win the job out of camp. It would've been nice for the Steelers to keep him, but the Bucs offer a definite chance to start, while Pittsburgh has a pretty good starter I think. Roethlis-something. Good pick, Cowah. :-D

Pittsburgh will re-sign Charlie Batch or get another FA to be the backup. Dennis Dixon probably isn't ready for that responsibility yet.

I'm in complete agreement. I think he will be the fav going into camp.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:39 am

Leftwich, Bucs agree to deal
By ROY CUMMINGS
rcummings@tampatrib.com
Published: April 13, 2009

TAMPA - The Bucs have settled on that "fourth" quarterback they've been promising to bring in.

The team is expected to announce today the signing of free agent Byron Leftwich, whose weekend decision to accept a two-year contract was based on a guarantee he'll be given a chance to compete for the starter's job.

Many believe that job will ultimately go to sixth-year pro Luke McCown, but the Bucs have made no secret of their desire to add an experienced veteran to at least push McCown for that job.

News of the agreement between the Bucs and the 2008 backup to Steelers starter Ben Roethlisberger was met mostly with disdain by Bucs fans, but most scouts still see the 29-year-old Leftwich as a player with big-play capability.

His tremendous arm strength and accuracy should prove to be a good fit for new coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski's aggressive offense, and his size - 6-foot-5, 250 pounds - has always made it difficult for defenses to take him down.

Leftwich, a 2003 first-round draft pick, is considered a good leader and a tough competitor who willingly plays through pain and injury, but his slow delivery and penchant for forcing passes that shouldn't be thrown have always been areas of concern.

con't...

rest of article: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/apr/13 ... orts-bucs/
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby bucs83 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 am

I like this move. I don't think it's time to draft Freeman. I think we could get a solid DE there, that would start this year and help Adams on the other side. As far as Leftwich starting, I don't mind. I think he is good. He was in the same draft class as Carson Palmer and they were ranked closely. Palmer had help with Chad What's his Name and TJ wHo's-your-mama, while Leftwich was stuck with Matt "powder" Jones and other disappointing draft picks. With the addition of Winslow and Bryant coming into his own, hopefully Clayton will get out of the sophomore slump he's been in for the last few years and Leftwich will finally have some targets.
Last edited by bucs83 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bucs83
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mattb47 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:42 pm

If you're able to give him time to throw...he's got a cannon for an arm. That slow release time is what gives him trouble but he's a smart QB with a strong arm and he could still be a solid starter for the right team. I could see him doing some good things for the Bucs.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk