Navy vs. Pirates - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Navy vs. Pirates

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Navy vs. Pirates

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm just waiting for folks to start trying to blame foriegn piracy on the good old USA. ;-7
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Question: Eventually, couldn't satellites render these "pirates" basically incapable of their profession? At sea anyway?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:58 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Question: Eventually, couldn't satellites render these "pirates" basically incapable of their profession? At sea anyway?

I was wondering something similar. How can these guys even compete with the Navy? I can see attacking merchant ships and oil tankers, but shouldn't the Navy be able to plough missiles right up these guys' butts? (Sorry for the visual)
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:42 am

On a happier note, the crew of the Maersk Alabama is home safe:

Crew members touched down at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland just before 1 a.m. ET in a chartered Airbus A319.

With broad smiles across their faces and some pumping their fists in the air, the men walked down the steps to the tarmac and were engulfed by family and friends.

Full story
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Tyeattolah » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Question: Eventually, couldn't satellites render these "pirates" basically incapable of their profession? At sea anyway?

You would have to maintain satellite coverage over a fairly large area and then have a fast reaction force in place to take them out, be it missiles or personnel. THese guys are operating from small fast boats...not as easy to reel them in as it would seem.
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Plus those missiles are between $500k and a million each, lots of money to dispatch a little motor launch.

AFA satellite surveillance goes, there are an awful lot of small boats like that motoring around, difficult to discern the goats from the sheep. I'm not going to say it's a 'best' solution, but waiting till they're identified and then taking them out with gunfire is cheap, at least. I wonder when those freighters and cargo ships are going to start arming themselves.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:16 pm

I know a Doctor who was working on a "laser" that would be put on the moon. This "laser" could target anything on earth and destroy it from outer space. Last I heard, this doctor was cryogenically frozen, though. Too bad.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby biju » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:29 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I wonder when those freighters and cargo ships are going to start arming themselves.

The normal routine for these pirates is that if you let them "capture" you without fighting them, they will allow you to live while they collect their ransom. If you fight them, they will hit you with RPGs until your ship sinks. Clearly the better option *before* they threatened to start killing innocent people was to let them detain you so you don't get into a gunfight. But now I'm guessing it will be cheaper to just arm the boats with some military personnel and better equipment and longer range than what the pirates have.

Heck, I could even see a scenario where these shipping companies begin to hire mercenaries to do this for them for a price cheaper than the ransoms... :-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:49 am

The Dutch stepped in this time. Link to story here. That's one badarse "frigate" they're in.

CNN) -- Dutch naval forces captured seven pirates and freed 20 captive fishermen after tracking the pirates to their "mother ship" in the western Gulf of Aden on Saturday, a NATO maritime spokesman said.

Meanwhile, pirates seized control of a Belgian-registered ship, the Pompei, a the spokesman said. Reports said the vessel and its 10-man crew, including two Belgians, was being taken to the coast.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:09 pm

After the Dutch disarmed the pirates, they released them, Shona Lowe, a spokeswoman from the maritime headquarters, told CNN.

Because the crew was on a NATO mission, they lacked the jurisdiction to hold them, according to reports.

That's lame and sends a crappy message to the pirates....go ahead and hijack ships and take hostages, if we catch you we'll just take your guns and let you go. Jurisdiction schmurisdiction. :-S

I like the U.S. Navy's response better. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk