Florida Vacation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Florida Vacation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Florida Vacation

Postby houstonherdfan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:55 am

My family is going on a real vacation this summer. $th of July week (3-10). We will be staying at Maderia Beach, FL. Is one of the places on the Tampa/St Pete barriot Islands.

Anyone been there or live close. Was looking for recomendations of things to do things not to do. Me, wife, 2 14 year olds, and 19 year old Autistic boy. Also my sister and her girlfriend will be there the same week along with mother and her male friend.

Planning on Pier 60 for fireworks, and doing a private charter off shore trip during the week. the rest of the time don't know what we will do.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Florida Vacation

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Sounds like fun Herd. Though it sounds expensive going down around the $th and all. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Sounds like fun Herd. Though it sounds expensive going down around the $th and all. :-D

Yeah that's why we usually don't do any traveling on the $th, we usually wait till after the ^th or &th. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby houstonherdfan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Well ,we have been planning this since last spring. Had condo paid for by Christmas. Just finished paying for the fishing trip. The 2 big ticket Items. Got a couple grand left for spending money, Using credit card for gas and food on the trip. Cook mostly at the condo so a brunch or 2 out, a few lunches and only 1 or maybe 2 dinners out.

I dread driving 1000 miles with wife and 3 kids in the car.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:30 am

houstonherdfan wrote:I dread driving 1000 miles with wife and 3 kids in the car.

Yeah that's the tough part. Are you gonna do it all in one day or break it up into two? I imagine you'll just get up early and knock it out huh? Myself, I just can't drive at night, but I guess if you do it right you might be able to be drive the whole way in mostly daylight. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby houstonherdfan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:02 am

Leaving at noon on Thursday and drive till around midnight. Figure I'll get in 10 hours of actual driving in 12 hours. That will leave about 300 -350 miles friday morning. At get there about noon. Put stuff away, hit the grocery store and on the beach by 2:00
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:06 am

houstonherdfan wrote:I dread driving 1000 miles with wife and 3 kids in the car.

Let the wife drive, and you pop sleeping pills and nap the whole time :-B
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 am

What kind of car?

1st suggestion - get backseat DVD system for kids
2nd suggestion - if 1st suggestion not available make sure each kid has mp3 player at least, PSP or similar device if possible
3rd suggestion - if 1 and 2 not possible, prepare to suffer :-]
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby houstonherdfan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:05 pm

lmcjaho wrote:

What kind of car?

1st suggestion - get backseat DVD system for kids
2nd suggestion - if 1st suggestion not available make sure each kid has mp3 player at least, PSP or similar device if possible
3rd suggestion - if 1 and 2 not possible, prepare to suffer :-]

Kia Sedonna minivan.

Got the DVD system had in for several years. Just purchased the plug in wires to hook up the xbox360 to it. MP3 players for 2. The oldest is autistic and he just going to get some valium during the ride (he can't handle sitting still for hours on end). Before you say oh my god he drugs his kids. When we asked his doctor how to help him handle these kind of trips, this was the doctor's suggestion.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:46 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:Kia Sedonna minivan.

Got the DVD system had in for several years. Just purchased the plug in wires to hook up the xbox360 to it. MP3 players for 2. The oldest is autistic and he just going to get some valium during the ride (he can't handle sitting still for hours on end). Before you say oh my god he drugs his kids. When we asked his doctor how to help him handle these kind of trips, this was the doctor's suggestion.

Normally I would make a comment about how more people should medicate their kids, because to be honest I don't like kids much myself. :-[ ;-)

I've never had personal experience with an autistic person but I used to help take care of a neighbour's kid who had Downs Syndrome and it was either a great car ride or a nightmare depending on what kind of mood the little guy was in whenever we took him anywhere. If he knew we were going to the hospital for one of his frequent check-ups or other doc related issue he was pure hell on wheels - a real little b*****d to handle, temper tantrums etc. If he knew we were going somewhere fun he'd be the perfect little angel. I suppose a lot of "normal" kids are like that too, but it's harder (for me at least) to handle when the child has special needs.

Glad the doc was able to suggest something to make the trip bearable for your son.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Return to General Talk