The Ultimate Draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Ultimate Draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Ultimate Draft

Postby Azrael » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:11 pm

NFL.com picks the 32 greatest players ever taken in slots 1-32 of the first round. Didn't take me long to have a beef with who they chose.

1st pick - John Elway over Manning? Get real. Even before Elway won super bowls he was thought to be an all-time great QB; but I think most people focused his "greatness" into snippets of time where he brought his team from the clutches of defeat because the numbers just don't bear it out. Everywhere I look Manning has better #'s. Things you might not know about Elway: Did not even complete 57% of his passes, only threw 20+ TDs one time and had a 1-to-1 TD/INT ratio in his first 10 years, and threw for 4000 yards just once. Meanwhile, Manning has already thrown 30 more TDs in 5 less years of playing, has a 64.4% completion percentage, a 2-to-1 TD to INT ratio, and has thrown for 4,000 yards in 9 of 11 seasons. Both have won Super Bowls but I don't think the fact that Elway has appeared in 4 more should overcome his far inferior statistics. I mean, his team was murdered in 3 of those SBs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000 ... nfirm=true
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The Ultimate Draft

Postby bungle613 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Ageed, Elway has always been overrated. No way he should be ahead of Manning and I ain't exactly a Manning fan either.

Loved the "no other considerations" for Rice and Marino.

Some of the names in the considerations blurbs stunned me. Santonio Holmes???? WTF is that about.

Deion and LT2 would be very close for me, very tough call. Some other picks I just don't know enough about to question them. Mackey at 19 vs Randall McDaniel is one of those. I would have chosen Randall hands down but I know a bit about Mackey, not enough to know if he was that good. Randall was.

My Vikings got 3 in the top 32. Quick look has us tied for the most.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Azrael » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:10 pm

The thing I thought was interesting was 3 of those guys came out of Syracuse (tied for most selections with Miami, FL), not exactly a football powerhouse.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Okay...I didn't get this at first but I understand it now...I thought it was everyone drafted in the first round vs everyone in the first round for each pick. But it's 1v1, 2v2...gotcha.

Things I'm not sure I agree with...(none of these were winners...)
Adrian Peterson: Good, but already receiving votes for best #7 pick ever? If he had a career ending injury today there is no way he would ever receive votes.

Shawn Merriman: Same thing

S-jax: Same thing

Santonio Holmes: What?

Larry Johnson: ?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Return to Football Talk