Madden Retires.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Madden Retires....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Madden Retires....

Postby petedog9 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:37 am

I actually beat stomperrob to the punch on breaking news. Your slippimg my man... lol.... ;-D

Madden retires after 30 years in boothComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

John Madden, a fixture in NFL broadcast booths for 30 years, has decided to retire, he announced Thursday in a statement released by NBC Sports.

NFL.com Video

John Madden discusses what the Hall of Fame means to him.
Madden, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and former Super Bowl-winning coach of the Oakland Raiders, has been a game analyst and TV personality since walking away from coaching in 1979.

"It's time. I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall," Madden said. "I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not."

"It's been such a great ride," he added. The NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion -- It still is. ... It's still fun and that's what it makes it hard and that's why it took me a few months to make a decision.

"I still love every part of it -- the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people... but I know this is the right time."

Madden worked as lead analyst for all four networks broadcasting NFL football games, forming tandems with Pat Summerall at CBS and Fox and Al Michaels at ABC and NBC. He won 16 Emmy awards for outstanding sports analyst/personality.

His last game in the booth was Pittsburgh's Super Bowl victory over Arizona.

He also lent his name and voice to EA Sports' popular "Madden NFL Football" video game, which is the top-selling sports video game of all time.

Madden led the Raiders to an overall record of 103-32-7, seven AFC West titles and a victory over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI. His .750 winning percentage remains the highest of any coach in NFL history. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2006.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Madden Retires....

Postby stomperrob » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:52 am

Wow, did you ever (I gotta start getting up earlier, lol)! Hard to believe it's been 30 years.I know he has his critics, but there's no denying his passion for the game - I for one will miss him.
:,-(
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby ivesaidway2much » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:56 am

I guess with Favre officially retiring, Madden no longer had the will to keep announcing games. :-t
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bungle613 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:29 am

Too bad... dude made me laugh every broadcast.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby petedog9 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:35 am

LOL.... Its Ok Rob.. Every dog has his day... :-D

I think Collinsworth is the likely replacement... But what about Brett Favre? You know he is going to be sought after by all of the networks as a studio guy or possible color guy along side of Al Michaels...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:03 pm

petedog9 wrote:LOL.... Its Ok Rob.. Every dog has his day... :-D

I think Collinsworth is the likely replacement... But what about Brett Favre? You know he is going to be sought after by all of the networks as a studio guy or possible color guy along side of Al Michaels...

Please do not let it be Collinsworth. That guy is a broatcast monkey for east coast teams. If they sit on the east coast, they are automatically a better team. At least *try* to find someone that doesn't have parts of his face shoved up the backside of Tom Brady.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:10 pm

stomperrob wrote:I for one will miss him.

I for two will too. :-B
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheDiplomats » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 pm

This is sad. I always enjoyed Madden's commentary. It wasn't that informative, but there was something about the way he did it that I seemed to like.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SniperShot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:18 pm

ivesaidway2much wrote:I guess with Favre officially retiring, Madden no longer had the will to keep announcing games. :-t
Yep. This.

The days of the "Brett Favre Challenge" are now completely over. It sure was a fun ride while we had it though. Now the question is who joins Michaels in the booth for SNF? Please not Collinsworth.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby TGM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:53 pm

SniperShot wrote:Now the question is who joins Michaels in the booth for SNF? Please not Collinsworth.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news dude, but yeppers...it's Collinsworth.

Linkage: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true
TGM
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk